JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Over the years, I've collected various quotes on the topic of preparedness and survival. I thought I'd post said and, naturally, ask if others would like to share their favorites. I'll get us started ...

General

"Be prepared." — Boy Scout Motto

"Recognizing the threat is one thing; preparing for it is something quite different. If you do little more than familiarize yourself with the potential dangers, your chances of surviving improve slightly. With each and every preparation you make, those chances increase. However, understand that no matter what you do, there is no guarantee that you will survive. Likewise, if you do absolutely nothing, it is not a certainty that you will die. Preparing is all about improving your odds. By making well thought out preparations, you position yourself to have a better chance of surviving than those who have not prepared." — Dr. Arthur T. Bradley, Ph.D.

"I never should have made it, but I'm still alive" — "Dead End Streets", RevCo

"You always have two choices: your commitment versus your fear" — Sammy Davis, Jr.

"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." — Benjamin Franklin

"Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest." — Proverbs 6:6-8

"There's no harm in hoping for the best as long as you're prepared for the worst." — Stephen King, Different Seasons

"A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." — Proverbs 27:12 (New Living Translation)

"If ye are prepared ye shall not fear." — Doctrine & Covenants 38:30, LDS Standard Works

"Step to the side
You'd better run and hide
Move to the side
Everybody wants to stay alive" — "Stay'n Alive", Coolio & The Bee Gees

"The future belongs to those who prepare for it today." — Malcolm X

"Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy." — Max Mayfield, Director National Hurricane Center

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." — Benjamin Franklin

"Remember; when disaster strikes, the time to prepare has passed." — Steven Cyros

"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program." — Spencer W. Kimball

"If you gathered nothing in your youth, how can you find anything in your old age?" — Shimon ben Yeshua ben Eliezer ben Sira (בן סירא) (recorded in Sirach 25:3)

"As long as you live, keep learning how to live." — Seneca, Stoic Philosopher

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." — Seneca

"A wise man thinks ahead; a fool doesn't, and even brags about it!" — Proverbs 13:16

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change." — Charles Darwin

"It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul." — "Invictus", William Ernest Henley

"I'm for whatever gets you through the night."— — Frank Sinatra

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." — Friedrich Nietzsche

"Staying alive's as good as it gets." — Selena, 28 Days Later (2002)

"Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body." — Seneca

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." — Josey Wales, The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)

"Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air, but only for one second without hope" — Author Unknown

"Despair is most often the offspring of ill-preparedness" — Don Williams, Jr.

"All this damn running ... we make our stand here!" — Marcus, Zombie Panic!

"A paranoid man is a man who knows a little about what's going on." — William S. Burroughs (1970)

"Thunderdome's simple. Get to the weapons, use them any way you can. I know you won't break the rules, because there aren't any." — Dr. Dealgood in Mad Max 3: Beyond the Thunderdome

"We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival." — Winston Churchill

"And the war was less than a half hour old. So one stranger on the roadside meant nothing, particularly with a blinded child, his blood kin, dependent on his mission. With the use of the hydrogen bomb, the Christian era was dead, and with it must die the tradition of the Good Samaritan. And yet Randy stopped ..." — Alas Babylon, Pat Frank (1959)

"No moral, no message, no prophetic tract, just a simple statement of fact: for civilization to survive, the human race has to remain civilized. Tonight's very small exercise in logic from the Twilight Zone." — "The Shelter", The Twilight Zone (1961)

Doom

"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says, 'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.' I suppose we all thought that, one way or another." — Robert Oppenheimer, Scientific Director of The Manhattan Project

"Count down to the end
Gotta make it come faster, faster
Right around the bend
Is a coming disaster" — "Meet Your Master," NIИ

"The first angel blew his trumpet, and there came hail and fire, mixed with blood, and they were hurled to the earth; and a third of the earth was burned up, and a third of the trees were burned up, and all green grass was burned up." — Revelation 8:7 (NASB)

"We've got to survive! Somebody's got to survive!" — Stephen, Dawn of the Dead (1978)

"Who will survive and what will be left of them?
Apocalyptic dreams see the ordinary madness" — "Real Solution #9," White Zombie

"There is no escape
And that's for sure
This is the end
We won't take any more
Say goodbye
To the world you live in" — "Seek and Destroy," Metallica

"We knew about bombs, we knew about fallout, we knew this could happen for 40 years but nobody was interested." — Alison Ransom, The Day After (1983)

"Don't place faith in human beings, Human beings are unreliable things" — "Butterfly Wings", The Machines of Loving Grace

"I don't believe in happy endings!" — "You Know What You Are", Ministry

"Love bears it out even to the edge of doom." — William Shakespeare

Humorous

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." — Hunter S. Thompson

"Humor is one of the best ingredients of survival." — Aung San Suu Kyi

"There's nothing like eating under the open sky ... even if it is radioactive." — Rick Baldwin, Panic in Year Zero! (1962)

"Out of order! (expletive) Even in the future nothing works!" — Dark Helmet, Spaceballs (1987)

"But we're never gonna survive unless
We get a little crazy
No we're never gonna survive unless
We are a little
Cray cray crazy" — "Crazy", Seal

"Economic spasms reached the European and Asian markets.
Israel dropped nukes on Cairo, Tehran and targets in Syria.
Pakistan and India went at it.
China and Russia went at it.
The world went at it.
It was pretty much all downhill from there." — Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse, Victor Gischler

"It's a dog eat dog world, and from where I sit, there just ain't enough damn dogs!" — Drayton, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)

"No! It's my snake, I trained it, I'm going to eat it! I got a recipe for snake. Delicious. Fricassee of reptile. You are what you eat. " — The Gyro Captain, Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1982)

"Stop Whining!" — Detective John Kimble, Kindergarten Cop (1990)

"According to the Mayans, the world is supposed to end in the year 2012. Are you buying that? When's the last time you even ran into a Mayan?" — Jay Leno

"They've got you wrong. You're not a coward. STUPID, maybe. But not a coward." — The Gyro Captain, Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1982)

"Instead of working for the survival of the fittest, we should be working for the survival of the wittiest - then we can all die laughing." — Lily Tomlin

Last Edited:
Several of yours are my favorites as well. :D

Here are my Star Wars wisdom ones.

Unless you are in my math class and we are studying probability. Then you had better not get odds and probability mixed up. :rolleyes:

...so I am going to prepare for the worst.

Yoda wisdom

My dad always said, "In an emergency, it is better to have it and not need it. Than need it and not have it."

"Its not like I'm gonna curl up and wait to die , 'cause that's all I have" ... Me.

Usually said in response when told that my favorite gun , knife , or whatever isn't "good enough" for whatever situation we are discussing.

On a more serious note there are some far better and excellent quotes in the above posts.
Cool thread ... thanks for sharing.
Andy

One is none, two is one, three is glee. ;)

IMG_0839.JPG

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top