JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A few weeks back I was embarrassed at a local gun store when I bought a Lew Horton Colt 1911 because my CPL had expired in August 2016. Yes, I had to wait the mandatory 10 working days to pick it up.

I applied at the Walla Walla County Sheriffs office 13 days ago. I was shocked when my new permit came in the mail today.

Isn't that unusually fast turn around?

For your county, that's not bad. Here in OR in Washington County mine was exactly 2 weeks to get my appointment. It was one week later and I walked out with it. Here in OR the CHL has our picture on it and feels like a CC or driver's license.. In WA (had one there for 15 years) it's not much more than a piece of paper.

I just renewed my CHL this afternoon in Marion Co. Oregon... was in and out with new CHL (plastic CC format with photo) in hand in under 15 minutes.

When I renewed my Clark Co. Washington CPL the last two times it arrived in the mail well under 2 weeks.

Keep in mind that's not letting them lapse in between renewals. ;)

Mine had lapsed beyond the 90 days so I was surprised it came so quickly.

I'm former LEO & at one time held some pretty high NCIC credentials. I don't know if that helped or not.

Now a days, I'm just a bum.

Washington County Oregon sheriffs department does chl enewals while you wait, provided the current chl hasn't expired... At least that's been my experience...

Edited to correct the incorrect predictive spelling... Ughhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Last Edited:
I just renewed my CHL this afternoon in Marion Co. Oregon... was in and out with new CHL (plastic CC format with photo) in hand in under 15 minutes.

When I renewed my Clark Co. Washington CPL the last two times it arrived in the mail well under 2 weeks.

Keep in mind that's not letting them lapse in between renewals. ;)
I just realized my Oregon permit expired last month. My WA is still good for a year or so though.
Anybody know the cost/time/process in OR for an out of state renewal if it expired a month ago. It is from Columbia county.
It's nice that they do the plastic card with the photo over there. my wallets tend to get washed so I had to get my WA CPL laminated.

Took 6 weeks to get mine here in Spokane County, but I'm just a fat-bum civilian.

Yeah right", 30 days is the norm.

Shocked me too. Dropped it off in the morning. In my mailbox in Kelso the next day. If you have a sheriffs office that has people doing their jobs, you have a relatively low population in the county and the Sheriff that doesnt have some sort of agenda then there is no reason it should take longer than a few hours to run a background check and approve the license..

FYI when you get the license they demand fingerprints . They do not run those fingerprints. They are only entered into the system. The actual BCG is a online 5 minute thing.

When I went in to see said sheriff 10 years ago to have him sign off on an ATF Form 4 the same sheriff told me he'd have his deputies arrest me if they found a silencer in my vehicle and it had residue inside it. This is before it was legal to "use" a silencer in Washington. He also told me if his own brother came in to get a form 4 signed he'd refuse. I formed my first trust that day.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top