JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oregon fall bear season opens tomorrow.
Getting the Blackhawk ready tonight.
Anyone else gearing up for fall bear?
kk.jpeg

If I see one I might shoot it, still eating on the one from last year......

It's usually the last thing that comes out of the freezer, if there's elk or deer it's going to get eaten 1st. Still have elk so unless it's a dandy w/a real nice hide and a big head I'll probably pass.

I used to go bear hunting every year with my neighbor , before he passed away.
I still go every once in awhile...we have quite a few bears up here .
Like just about all my hunting ....My Hawken Rifle is my "go to".

For all who go out this season , have fun , be safe and happy hunting.
Andy

If I see one I might shoot it, still eating on the one from last year......

It's usually the last thing that comes out of the freezer, if there's elk or deer it's going to get eaten 1st. Still have elk so unless it's a dandy w/a real nice hide and a big head I'll probably pass.

I'm the exact opposite. I'll take a nice berry fed bear over venison any day.
My wife feels more the way you do though haha.

I tried black bear hunting last year for the first time unsuccessfully, but this year I've done quite a bit more scouting and have seen a few more bears. So hopefully this will be the year. Going to be using my .280 ackley improved shooting 150gr Nosler accubonds.

Heading out with semi auto 30.06 to try and find a bruiser so I can build up my pepperoni supply! Missed getting my Spring bear tag this year so I am READY to GO!

I have some 220 interlocks loaded up for my 308 i have ready for a bear ... But i dont get to go ill the 15th... Never shot one befor is there anything,i should know about cleaning one and keeping thr hide?

I have some 220 interlocks loaded up for my 308 i have ready for a bear ... But i dont get to go ill the 15th... Never shot one befor is there anything,i should know about cleaning one and keeping thr hide?

They stink. Bring shears or side-cutters to clip the claws to keep them attached to the hide. Depends how deep in the woods you are, but I've always just laid the hide fur-side down, folded in the legs, and rolled it up like a tent or sleeping bag. Take it to a taxidermy guy ASAP.

They stink. Bring shears or side-cutters to clip the claws to keep them attached to the hide. Depends how deep in the woods you are, but I've always just laid the hide fur-side down, folded in the legs, and rolled it up like a tent or sleeping bag. Take it to a taxidermy guy ASAP.

Skin it like a deer right and leave the head on

220 interlocks are plenty of medicine for black bears. Most 150-165gr deer loads out of 308 are suited for the task and will have much flatter trajectory.

Had a black bear walk in front of my target array two weeks ago on his way to the spring below. I have a stand that has a 10" round, 12" round, full size ispc head/body and a another 12" round hanging off of fire hose with space in between . All together it is about 6' long and on a slight hill.

He covered all the targets completely except for a small portion of the last 12" round. He was freakin huge, I recommend more than a 44 mag

A handgun is silly to use to hunt bear........... carry for defense is one thing, hunting is another. Defense is going to be close.........hunting usually isn't. Even at that, what does a 44 Mag have, 1/2 the energy of a 30-06? Leave the cowboy fantasies for the range......take a real gun hunting.

I absolutely would hunt Black bear with a 44 mag. Of course the one I would use is my Cva single shot scoped rifle in 44 mag. Does that still count?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews