JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FAL upper receivers are getting harder to find, almost to the point of spending the extra to get a DSA and not worrying about quality! Enterprise and Coonan are about the only others still making them other then DSA, and the wait can be
L-O-N-G for one of them!
Try Sarco, they carry Coonan and enterprise from time to time, may find one there! Best of Luck!

thanks. I could not find enterptise. their site is for sale???
Enterprise is no more, their receiver quality had hit rock bottom as well, from the rumors I have been hearing is that Coonan has gone out of business too. If you scour Gunbroker or the FAL Files marketplace you could find an Imbel (Type III is the only option there) but expect to pay well for those left remaining. DSA receivers can be hit or miss for a trouble free build. I have a Rhodie on an Imbel that I am kicking around the idea of selling, from what I am seeing I'll be better to part it out and sell the kit and receiver separate but I hate like heck to do that...

Butch-
First and foremost, you need to get on the FAL Files to get the straight dope on receiver availability....

Mike pretty much hit the high points, but I'll go into a bit more detail...

Enterprise made some bad choices a couple years back and the ATF shut their doors. Their inventory was auctioned off, and most of it ended up at Arizona Response Systems in Az. Enterprise hadn't made a decent buildable receiver in years. Their early receivers are good, but I don't know the serial # break where they went to chit.

Coonan's are history as well. Very likely they won't produce any more FAL receivers in the future. Again, recent production examples are hit and miss for quality. They actually posted a disclaimer on their website informing buyers they wouldn't warranty an out of spec receiver....so if you got a crappy piece, well tough luck for you.:( Great business model...o_O Again, early production product is good quality, but I don't know the serial # breaks. I built on several a few years back that were trouble free.. even a post sample on a Type 1. Last I heard its still running.

DSA has been all over the board quality wise for a long time. They pretty much chit the bed after Lewis Machine & Tool stopped machining receivers for them. The FAL receiver is complex, and when they went "In house", their employee's were not up to the task. DSA dumped a lot of crap on the public and left many with a bad taste in their mouth. Those early LMT receivers are characterized by a "DS" prefix serial number. Good stuff. Receivers showing a "DSA" prefix serial # can be bad JuJu….though there was some overlap but the serial #'s aren't clear. The good news is that DSA appears to have cured their case of "Cranial Rectitis" as of late with good "in spec" machining of the latest production samples....they may be a player again. Only difference from the LMT days it that current production pieces are machined from a casting, while all those LMT's where forged....but that's a different debate. ;)

Imbel receivers are 99.75% good to go. I've seen/built VERY few with fleas...but they're only available in a Type 3 configuration, meaning they aren't as purdy but plenty functional.

Argentine (FMAP) receivers are good... if you can find one. Only made in T3 configuration.

DCI Industries (Very early Coonan) are winners again if you can find one...and only in T3 config.

I disassembled an Austrian Stg-58 rifle just yesterday and posted the kit on the FAL Files. Sold in 3 hours for 1K. I still have the DS T1 receiver I built it on 16 years ago...probably be putting that up for sale on the 'Files very soon. It won't be cheap though. :D

I can vouch for DSA having good receivers again, just got a Type 1 a few months back, amd while a little tight, plenty serviceable with a good fitting bolt! I also have a complete rifle from them with all the top tricks, and it runs flawlessly as it should!
Best of luck!

No offense, but I won't own DSA built rifles. Ive bought 4 in the past from people who got them only to find they wouldn't run out of the box. I tore them down and sold the parts.
DSA rifles these days are built with DSA manufactured parts...the days of them using good surplus parts is long gone. And many of those proprietary parts DO NOT interchange with their surplus counterpart....something they don't tell buyers. DSA has had a multitude of issues with their own bolts...alot have broke.

I've seen ALOT of DSA junk.

thanks guys for your responses. You all have pretty well covered the waterfront. I'm retired & am somewhat disabled so I don't know if I want to spend the $500 or so that I've seen advertised lately

thanks guys for your responses. You all have pretty well covered the waterfront. I'm retired & am somewhat disabled so I don't know if I want to spend the $500 or so that I've seen advertised lately
You can get a new DSA T1/T2 for under 400. As I said, DSA seems to be "doing it right" at the moment. Problem is everyone else knows it too, and catching them in stock is the challenge.
I understand your financial situation though and will keep an eye out for something that may work for ya.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.