JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any of you folks have an idea of what would be reasonable for a refinish job on a pistol. I need to get work done and am going to try to polish it myself but have called around about duracoat and the other things that can be done.
The shop I spoke with a bit ago quoted me 200 and maybe more since I want the cylinder left stainless. TO me that means less work so why more. 200 seems crazy for something that can be done at home given the time and know how. What would be fair?

I've heard 125-150 for coating, but if there is additional labor needed on the prep they may be quoting for that time as well.

Smithing time is around $85+ an hour from the estimates I've recieved.

I would ask for a breakdown off g services and costs from them, that may clear it up.

Good Luck!

Thanks, I think I can polish it up myself and be happy but if I cannot I do not want to pay someone 250 and realize the guy down the way would have done it for 125. Who knows maybe if it wont hurt it to try I will try coating it myself and then go to a gunsmith if I figure out it is not looking good. Sounds easy but so many gun folks love to say how easy something they can do is and ignore how long they took to learn.
I am just hoping it is truly a simple task to coat and bake it as described. I would for sure prefer to save myself even an 85 an hour rate. I just know I have seen people try to do such things and do a horrible horrible job.

I am hoping my polishing wheel and some light sanding as I have read to do will bring her back to beauty.

If your ganna use Duracoat, do it yourself. The two part rattle cans cost around $35 and come in tons of colors. 4 or five light coats so you don't get runs . pretty easy. Did this 20 year old EAA in Battle gray and its been holding up good.

IMG_0152_zpspcc599au.jpg

Maybe contact some of the supporting vendors on this site with the specifics of what you would like, or what you are looking for?

They are supporting vendors for a reason and might give a "break" knowing you are a NWFA'er too.

:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top