JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anybody got any factory loaded, Remington UMC 223 ammo? If you do, can you please tell me what color is the primer(brass or silver)? Also if there's crimp marks(bullet). Trying to determine if the bass I have is once fired.

Thanks in advance

Primer color won't tell you anything. The marks at the mouth of the case won't tell you anything either. You can't use the flash hole to tell. Some people don't uniform them. Take a paper clip and make it into a hook that you can use to check for potential case head seperation by slipping it down the inside of the case and slowly dragging it against the inside of each case as you pull it up and out. If the hook tool catches or feels like it skips against the inside of the case wall toss em out. Other than that if the necks aren't cracked and the primers seem to be seated pretty tight when you de cap em I'd FL size em and trim em to length, and load em up. If the new primers go in way too easy I decommission those. I don't try to reuse the primer. I only load my .223 6x before I toss em in a bucket. That's just me. One can anneal the necks and get more out of em but, it's not for me. I only reload brass from my rifle or unprocessed military brass that still has the primer crimp intact. Look up case head seperation. Good luck!

^^^^^^^^^
This

I load them until the paper clip test shows signs of a separation groove forming.

I get a lot more out of my brass than just 6 firings as I don't just screw in my sizing die until it bottoms out and the press cams over like most instructions call for.

Even for my AR brass I measure headspace on a fired case and then bump only .002" or so. I have three AR's and they all are within a "thou" of each other. I set my sizing die to the minimum headspace from cases fired in each.

As the saying(s) go, "Works for me", and "Your Mileage May Vary".

BTW, I am able to measure the number of reloads in the double digits for my brass, even much of the range pick-up brass with unknown pedigree. Annealing helps a bunch there too and doesn't take much time. Certainly worth the effort today when brass is getting more scarce.

Thanks for the awesome tip, I have never gotten that far yet with my brass, but when I do I'll try it.

The only reason why im asking bout the primer color is because my friend gave me a bag full off brass and he doesn't reload. He buys remington umc ammo, and looking through the bag I see remington brass with silver and brass colored primers...

deadshot2 QUOTE "I get a lot more out of my brass than just 6 firings as I don't just screw in my sizing die until it bottoms out and the press cams over like most instructions call for."

I should check the headspace on mine just for peace of mind. Then re adjust my dies. I have my FL sizing die set to Lees spec. Thanks for the heads up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top