JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I read the following post from 2016 on another forum today. The poster seemed knowledgeable on the subject. Can anybody here verify that there are no extruded powders being made in the US right now?

"
The basic issue is that no US company makes extruded powders in the lower 48 states anymore. (A health & safety / cost issue.) Even IMR is no longer made in the USA, but in Canada (General Dynamics, Valleyfield, Quebec on an island in the St. Lawrence River). In fact, America only has one mainstream plant now - the old Olin Corp factory at St, Marks in Florida now also part of General Dynamics Corp. It only makes ball powders or those like Hodgdon H100V that use the same production processes.

So ... Hodgdon gets all its 'spherical' grades from St. Marks, some of which are the same as Winchester with a new name. eg Win 760 = Hodgdon H414.

As Danpd says, Hodgdon's extruded grades are all from Australia (Thales / ADI in Mulwala, New South Wales). That's one reason why there is a big shortage of ADI / Hodgdon powders as there is limited shipping capacity for explosives between Australia to New Zealand to America with restrictions on the amounts allowed into berths in Christchurch Harbour, all ships on the line routed via NZ

Also as Dan says, most Alliant rifle powders come from Bofors in Sweden which are also sold as Norma and as Bofors powders in Europe. eg Norma 203B = Re15 IIRC. Some come from St Marks such as the new MR ball powders. Some recent additions (Re17, Re33, and a 50 BMG powder) come from Nitrochemie Wimmins AG which makes Reload Swiss. The only one which affects UK handloaders to any great extent is the Re17 / RS60 duplication.

Then PB Clermont in Belgium, part of the Eurenco group, sells ball powders to Western Powders in Montana which repackages them for the retail canister handloading market as Ramshot and Accurate brands, although Western likely gets some from St. Marks too, and also gets extruded grades from GD's Vallefield, Quebec plant in Canada (the IMR outfit). Some likely duplicate existing IMR grades.

............. and so on and so forth. Thanks to health and safety, and also the post cold war peace dividend there are fewer and fewer western manufacturers of powders and propellants. Viht is only just holding on and nearly closed a couple of years back being saved by Lapua / Nammo by the skin of its teeth at one minute to midnight.

The EU is about to ban most IMR (not the new Enduron grades) and Hodgdon extruded grades because they have various modifiers starting with 'Di' in the their mix that are allegedly 'unsafe' to human health.

So, the stuff come from almost everywhere but also fewer and fewer places, China and Russia aside who're not (so far) in the international market. That may of course be that the Russians and Chinese see these as strategic factories and products unlike the short-termists in Europe and Washington. If we carry on as we are going, we'll lose any future large conventional war with these countries if it lasts longer than six or so weeks as we won't be able to replace ammunition and weapons as they're used up"

Source: https://ukvarminting.com/topic/34948-swissreloader-powders/

Last Edited:
Post number 5 in this thread has some more info on the subject, but it's the internet.

If we have really offshored most of our smokeless powder production, that is really sad and scary. With the high import expenses I have been hearing about lately and the shipping delays we might be a ways out from getting cheap powder back on the shelves again. The feds seem to have lots of flexibility in messing with imports so an unfriendly administration could cause further problems if reloading powder gets on their radar.

Here is info on ADI powder plant in Australia. I wonder if ADI employees are exempt from AU's strict covid lockdowns.

Because American labor isn't profitable. Says a lot when shipping something halfway around a planet is cheaper than paying locals. Same reason so many things are hecho en Mexico. Unfortunate because I like to buy American if possible, except I'm not a wealthy man

Because American labor isn't profitable. Says a lot when shipping something halfway around a planet is cheaper than paying locals. Same reason so many things are hecho en Mexico. Unfortunate because I like to buy American if possible, except I'm not a wealthy man
It sounds like US companies are not being permitted by our Government to make extruded powders here any more. It appears to be a safety issue?

Health & Safety and the EPA is the primary reason that all extruded powders are made outside of the USA. Ball types manufacture uses non-inflammable / explosive slurries with material piped between processes until the little balls are distilled out at a late stage for chemical treatments and grading. This method also allows old out of date propellants to be recycled alongside fresh ingredients reducing costs.

Extruded powders start by dissolving cellulose in powerful acids, a dangerous exothermic process and whose products are immediately highly explosive and inflammable, then further inherently dangerous processes and solvents are used to convert 'guncotton' into usable propellants. Many of the materials used are corrosive and toxic, likewise creating waste and pollution issues that have to be dealt with nowadays, not just dumped into waste ground or rivers as would once have been done.

All this makes the manufacture of this type inherently riskier which in this day and age is also much more expensive. A guy in the handloading powder business stated years ago that the EPA hadn't banned extruded powder manufacture, but its regulations were so onerous that any such produced in the country, (USA), would be so expensive, nobody would buy them.

It appears that many powders are no longer available for import (and probably to manufacture) in the EU. Has something to do with REACH compliance. Maybe @tac has more details on this.

We had a powder manufacturer where I grew up in the Salt Lake Valley. Not uncommon to see these in yer grandpa and grandma's basements and garages.
1631705437197.png
Empty of course. Probably? :)
I was always under the impression that powder manufacturing stayed close to where explosives were used to help avoid accidents in shipping extremely large quantities of powder long distances. There was a LOT of mining operations in the mountains and elsewhere where I grew up. The Kennecott Copper Mine is the largest open pit copper mine in the world. They have employed thousands of people from the valley and consume tons of explosives. Seems like a sad statement that The U.S is letting important manufactured goods be manufactured in other countries.
I wonder how, in the future, they'll elect the president of the world? Probably mail in voting with no ID required. Sure glad I won't be here.

We had a powder manufacturer where I grew up in the Salt Lake Valley. Not uncommon to see these in yer grandpa and grandma's basements and garages.
View attachment 1032228
Empty of course. Probably? :)
I was always under the impression that powder manufacturing stayed close to where explosives were used to help avoid accidents in shipping extremely large quantities of powder long distances. There was a LOT of mining operations in the mountains and elsewhere where I grew up. The Kennecott Copper Mine is the largest open pit copper mine in the world. They have employed thousands of people from the valley and consume tons of explosives. Seems like a sad statement that The U.S is letting important manufactured goods be manufactured in other countries.
I wonder how, in the future, they'll elect the president of the world? Probably mail in voting with no ID required. Sure glad I won't be here.
It's concerning enough that we rely on foreign countries to provide much of our powder supply. Now seeing the potential loss of production in the EU raises the alarm a notch. What if Canada and Australia follow suit and stop producing the evil non-REACH compliant powders? That would really limit production of some of our favorite powders.

Here is a description of what REACH is.

And Hodgdon bought Western Powders, I believe.

So, sure Western Powders were just repackaged Belgian powders. How long before Hodgdon drops lines?

Either their Western Powders, or its own, now that there's less competition.

Right now, Guys, I'm having to rely on what I have stashed away - stuff like 4198 and 4064, but when they are gone that's it. My current go-to propellant is Vihtavuori N140 and 160, thankfully now available in half-kilo tubs at around $65 per each.

I load .45-70 Gubmint with light nitro loads of 4198 or the real BP, but my all-time favourite loads for .308Win and 7.5x55 Swiss have been 4064 for many years.

Given the HUGE cost of factory ammunition here, and the sheer waste of tossing the hulls, I haven't actually BOUGHT ammunition for around thirty years or more, except when GP11 was easy to find.

THAT disappeared from the dealers about five years ago.....and even then it was way north of a buck per pop. Sure do take the fun out of shooting when apart from the bang, you clearly hear a cash register a-clanging away.

Given that is is only of passing interest to any of you, here is the list effective in 2018 -

Which powders are not REACH compliant?

From 1st June 2018, the following powders will not be REACH compliant:

Non REACH compliant Hodgdon powder:

3501 - H4198 Hodgdon Extreme Rifle Powder (1lb/454g)

3501A - H322 Hodgdon Extreme Rifle Powder (1lb/454g)

3501B - Benchmark Hodgdon Extreme Rifle Powder (1lb/454g)

3501C - H335 Hodgdon Spherical Rifle Powder (1lb/454g)

3501D - H4895 Hodgdon Extreme Rifle Powder (1lb/454g)

3501E - Varget Hodgdon Extreme Rifle Powder (1lb/454g)

3501F - BL-C (2) Hodgdon Spherical Rifle Powder (1lb/454g)

3501G - H380 Hodgdon Spherical Rifle Powder (1lb/454g)

3501H - H414 Hodgdon Spherical Rifle Powder (1lb/454g)

3501J - H4350 Hodgdon Extreme Rifle Powder (1lb/454g)

3501K - H4831 Hodgdon Extreme Rifle Powder (1lb/454g)

3501L - H4831SC Hodgdon Extreme Rifle Powder (1lb/454g)

3501M - H1000 Hodgdon Extreme Rifle Powder (1lb/454g)

3501P - H50 BMG Hodgdon Extreme Rifle Powder (1lb/454g)

Non REACH compliant IMR powder:

3540A - IMR Smokeless Rifle Powder 4198 (1lb/454g)

3540B - IMR Smokeless Rifle Powder 3031 (1lb/454g)

3540C - IMR Smokeless Rifle Powder 4895 (1lb/454g)

3540D - IMR Smokeless Rifle Powder 4064 (1lb/454g)

3540E - IMR Smokeless Rifle Powder 4320 (1lb/454g)

3540F - IMR Smokeless Rifle Powder 4350 (1lb/454g)

3540G - IMR Smokeless Rifle Powder 4831 (1lb/454g)

3550B - IMR Smokeless Powder Trail Boss (9oz)

3550C - IMR Smokeless Powder PB (1lb/454g)

Ordering powder
For UK sales of nitro powders no license is required. To place an order simply give us a call or pop into our store. You must be over 18 to purchase these items.

These items can be delivered directly to your door for as little as £14 per order.

For more information on how to place an order for these powders before they go out of stock, please see our delivery information, or speak to one of our friendly staff by calling call us on 01132 569 163 / 01132 565 167 or email us at [email protected].

It sounds like US companies are not being permitted by our Government to make extruded powders here any more. It appears to be a safety issue?

Health & Safety and the EPA is the primary reason that all extruded powders are made outside of the USA. Ball types manufacture uses non-inflammable / explosive slurries with material piped between processes until the little balls are distilled out at a late stage for chemical treatments and grading. This method also allows old out of date propellants to be recycled alongside fresh ingredients reducing costs.

Extruded powders start by dissolving cellulose in powerful acids, a dangerous exothermic process and whose products are immediately highly explosive and inflammable, then further inherently dangerous processes and solvents are used to convert 'guncotton' into usable propellants. Many of the materials used are corrosive and toxic, likewise creating waste and pollution issues that have to be dealt with nowadays, not just dumped into waste ground or rivers as would once have been done.

All this makes the manufacture of this type inherently riskier which in this day and age is also much more expensive. A guy in the handloading powder business stated years ago that the EPA hadn't banned extruded powder manufacture, but its regulations were so onerous that any such produced in the country, (USA), would be so expensive, nobody would buy them.
I understand the EPA's strict BS is the reason Baldwin Lock Company now has all their locks produced & colored in China. They started going to China for the coloration but decided they might as well let them do the manufacturing as well...

Sad fact is we'll all be drinking that filthy Asian water, sooner or later--unfortunately Biden doesn't mind a bit

I understand the EPA's strict BS is the reason Baldwin Lock Company now has all their locks produced & colored in China. They started going to China for the coloration but decided they might as well let them do the manufacturing as well...
Let's hope Canada and Australia don't adopt the REACH standards or we are going to be hurting for powder.

Upcoming Events

Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top