JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went to the Expo Center for the gun show today (first time in about 4 years) and reminded myself why it's been so long. $10 to park, $10 to get in-after arguing with the ticket "master" that my daughter was only nine (she's tall like me, I'm over 6'4") he wanted to keep my twenty dollar bill for the two of us! Then absolutely zero deals, I mean none. Even Keith's wouldn't dicker on price. Maybe I'm an old fashioned thirty something year old but, what gives? Prices were well over normal on the shelf prices at any store. Several bulk packs of 22lr for $60 or more? Even worse, it is now located in the oldest and smallest building that was sectioned off because they couldn't attract enough quality vendors to fill it.
OK, done ranting-lesson reiterated-Portland sux!

I went to the Expo Center for the gun show today (first time in about 4 years) and reminded myself why it's been so long. $10 to park, $10 to get in-after arguing with the ticket "master" that my daughter was only nine (she's tall like me, I'm over 6'4") he wanted to keep my twenty dollar bill for the two of us! Then absolutely zero deals, I mean none. Even Keith's wouldn't dicker on price. Maybe I'm an old fashioned thirty something year old but, what gives? Prices were well over normal on the shelf prices at any store. Several bulk packs of 22lr for $60 or more? Even worse, it is now located in the oldest and smallest building that was sectioned off because they couldn't attract enough quality vendors to fill it.
OK, done ranting-lesson reiterated-Portland sux!

I will only go if I am wanting a NIB gun and will just window shop. Then go order it online or from a local gunshop/gunsmith.

I will only go if I am wanting a NIB gun and will just window shop. Then go order it online or from a local gunshop/gunsmith.

$20 to just window shop can be a little steep, not counting the $20 in gas I spent getting there, and $25 for lunch and..... At least I spent some quality time with my daughter! Boy oh boy, she has very good taste in the "wanted" firearms category!!! LOL

Keith made me a smoking deal on a Roger LCR at PDX gun show, but that was years ago. He literally had me point to the dealer and price offer he gave me and undercutted every other dealer at the show. Sad to hear the PDX gun show is going downhill. Maybe you should consider making a trip to Puyallup which I hear still has a pretty good gun show, but I haven't gone to that show, myself. Generally, I get way better deals online. Another bonus about going to Puyallup show is there are several large firearm retailers near the show for some after show shopping, such as Surplus Arms, the mega Cabelas in Lacey and Bass Pro. Oregon ID means no sales tax on most items; not sure about firearms though. Handguns require the BS out of state transfer though to Oregonians.

I've been using the guns shows as a destination to ride my motorcycle during dry months. Lately just been buying accessories but even those have been cheapy quality. Been looking for a gun belt for months.

Keith's is usually one of the better vendors. There is also an older couple who I think have fair prices.

It's been years since I have been to a gun show just because of the high prices and parking fees and entrance fees and just not finding any good deals on bulk ammo like years ago.
Earlier this year I did go to the Puyallup gun show which was pretty good. For the most part the prices weren't too awful bad but I didn't have a lot of money to spend either so I just bought some miscellaneous AR parts.;)

I stopped going to guns shows a few years ago. It was a rip-off to get in plus they have a gun show at least once a month in Denver so it was no longer a special event. It started to remind me of the flea market because many of the vendors were garbage.

@kmk1012 I guess the one thing that you should consider is the time spent with your daughter. Think about what she learned and having the quality time with dad. It could go like this.

parking $10
entrance fee $10
quality time with daughter priceless!! ;):)

Planning on going to the Albany show in a couple of weeks.

Yes, I'm excited for the Albany show, planning to stop in Saturday morning.

These shows were better when you could still make private deals in the parking lot. I remember guys walking around w/ Mausers and Garands slung on their backs and you could make them an offer and be home in time to watch kickoff. It was awesome.

$20 to just window shop can be a little steep, not counting the $20 in gas I spent getting there, and $25 for lunch and..... At least I spent some quality time with my daughter! Boy oh boy, she has very good taste in the "wanted" firearms category!!! LOL

Funny, I haven't been to the movies for thirty years, pretty much for the same reasons plus a few more thrown in.
(I said as I sipped on a 4 dollar mocha)

Last Edited:
I've been using the guns shows as a destination to ride my motorcycle during dry months. Lately just been buying accessories but even those have been cheapy quality. Been looking for a gun belt for months.

Keith's is usually one of the better vendors. There is also an older couple who I think have fair prices.
You want a gun belt, try Bigfoot Gun Belts, they're online... Great quality as fair prices...

I'm surprised a wiley, enterprising vendor doesn't show up at one of these shows that are laden with overpriced guns and ammo and folks unwilling to deal - and set up a table with a ton of bulk ammo, reasonably price, .22lr also reasonably priced as well as guns that you're willing to haggle a bit on - THAT vendor would probably due 90%+ of the business in the damn place, and make it well worth their while for the table fees.

I really don't get paying for a table then bringing in a bunch of overpriced crap - who the heck is buying that stuff?

I went to the show and found some good deals. Everything I was needing/wanting in fact, and at very reasonable (acceptable) prices. In fact, I even ran across a couple items that I wasn't even looking for in the first place. :)

Yes, even after gas (which is just across the bridge for me), parking and entrance, it was still a good day.

I agree, a lot of times it is the "same ol stuff" but there are times when there is something that is "new" and is what you are looking for.

Sure, I could have saved myself gas $$$ (what, 1 gallon of gas?), parking and entrance fee, to stay home and shop online. I probably could have even got the same stuff I bought at the show delivered directly to my front door and saved myself $20 to boot.

At least at the shows I get to hold and inspect what I am looking for. Looking at pictures online, "researching", and buying only to find that you didn't like the item? Return it for a refund, spend more time searching online for that "deal", try a different make/model, order it, wait for delivery, get it and find out you didn't like it either. Start the process all over again....... :eek:

My time is worth something. Actually, I put a fairly high price on my time. How much time do you spend to save yourself $20? An hour? Two?

That is why so many brick and mortar stores are closing. Because people want to save themselves that $20.

Pretty soon there will be no stores except for the big-box stores - Cabela's, Sportsmans, et al that you will be able to go into. Then you'll really complain about that situation and those prices.

I'm not knocking anyone for not going. I am right there with you when everyone complains about the "same ol junk". But sometimes looking, touch, holding, fondling, and complete inspection of an item is worth the "hassle", time, gas, parking, entrance.

Plus, it got me out of the house for a few hours. :)

I'm surprised a wiley, enterprising vendor doesn't show up at one of these shows that are laden with overpriced guns and ammo and folks unwilling to deal - and set up a table with a ton of bulk ammo, reasonably price, .22lr also reasonably priced as well as guns that you're willing to haggle a bit on - THAT vendor would probably due 90%+ of the business in the damn place, and make it well worth their while for the table fees.

I really don't get paying for a table then bringing in a bunch of overpriced crap - who the heck is buying that stuff?

This is EXACLTY what I have been asking myself for years.

Bring in your items, sell them (all?) for a profit that is reasonable to you. Go home with no product, happy and a pocket full of cash.

NOT sit at every show, with the same over priced stuff, packing it in, and packing it home..... makes absolutely no sense. :confused:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews