JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This event has passed and there are no upcoming dates

Upcoming Dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/Los_Angeles

This event has passed and there are no upcoming dates
It's in two days. Heading over myself to set up tomorrow. Likely will be a good show. I will have more firearms with me this time as well. Time to thin the herd. Should be some decent deals to grab before the price increases really kick in here over the next couple of months.

Well, it's certainly in my neighborhood. I'll think about going but I have to remember it and wake up in time to do it.

It's 9 to 5 on Sat and 9 to 3 on sunday. You should be able to make it somewhere in that time!
Yeahbut. As I used to tell Mrs.Merkt when contemplating going to the Puget Park Swap Meet: "We gotta get there early before all the Good Stuff is gone." So it goes with gun shows. However, the few gun shows I've gone to lately (meaning the past three or four years), I haven't done so with early arrival in mind.

In my old age, I don't like living by a schedule of any kind. Unfortunately, medical issues keep me to certain regimens that cause me to take notice of time and place. But getting up in the morning isn't one of them. So I get up when I get up. I've run into any number of old timers who got up at 0430 their entire working lives, then in retirement could never get used to getting up later. I'm definitely not one of those.

BUT: I'm going to make an effort for an early get-up tomorrow. I've already mentioned it to Mrs. Merkt, so it's been on my mind often enough to remember to do it.

Well, I made it around 1000. The parking lot was fair full by that time. But not all the good stuff was gone. Due to the stringent rules pertaining to guns sales and the 10 day wait, I didn't see many guns flying off the tables either.

I finally got a few Large Pistol Magnum primers, some Federals. There were these two sleeves neatly and tightly packed together in a small zip-lock bag, sized exactly to the primer packaging. I asked the seller, "Are there 100 in each sleeve?" To which he gave an affirmative answer. When I got them home, both sleeves were short and there were only 168 pieces, not 200. They were missing at random, not in rows so I suspect they got dropped at some time and some leaked out. So, these are the most expensive primers I've ever bought, at 11.9 cents apiece.

Another lesson here. I've preached here to always look down the barrel of a a gun you are considering buying. Here's similar advice: Always inspect contents of old stock reloading crap.

I got a half pound of Alliant Herco powder, which doesn't have a lot of centerfire uses. It can be used for .45 Colt. But it may also be used for 12 and 20 gauge shotgun, certain loads. That was $10.

Then there was another guy selling old ammo. He had a box of .30-06 ammo, supposedly reloads "for components only." 50 cents apiece. There was a box of 20 rounds that were cleanly loaded with older Remington Bronze Tip bullets. Which are now hard to find. Then there was a zip lock baggie with loose, surplus M2 Ball ammo. The seller didn't know how many rounds were in the baggie, so he said, "$20 for all of it." As it turned out, the baggie contained 50 rounds. So I got 70 rounds of .30-06 for that price. I pulled the 20 Bronze Tips, those cases held 52.5 gr. of some kind of large stick powder, my guess is IMR 4350, but completely wrong for shooting in the M1 Rifle. I'll reload those with a more suitable powder.

The prices of guns seemed high to me. Without regard to restrictive new laws, I didn't see anything I wanted. After I left this show, I drove north to the two larger guns stores in Burlington. One of them had a Walther TPH, .22 LR, there for sale. Stainless steel in it's original case that is configured like a bound book for hiding it away. Only $300, but it was the made in USA under license version with the Interarms rollmark, not the pre-1968 GCA made in Germany version. Still tempting but if you want a second magazine it's going to come very dear.

Then on the way back south, I stopped in Cabela's. There was a real nice Ruger Police Service Six in the Library, priced at $500. That's the .357 Magnum that they made from around 1972 up to 1988. I bought a few small items and took them out to the car. I thought about those several Smith & Wesson Model 10's that I saw at the gun show, some as high as $1,000, and decided that the Ruger was reasonably priced so I went back in and bought it. Oddly enough, now that we have the 10 day mandatory waiting period, it doesn't take as long to do the transaction as it used to. Yes, I will have to make a second trip back to get it but I'm up that way often enough. What I didn't have to do is sit around and wait an hour while they processed the BCG, they will do that during the 10 days.

It's only paper money, $500 isn't what it used to be.

I like going to these little, out-of-the way gun shows like the Falcon productions. They are good venues for who knows what old stuff that creeps out of the woodwork. On the other hand, they've become not so great for buying guns. I've come to the conclusion that for me, it's better to stick to buying from a brick and mortar dealer. With the new 10 day rule, I hand over my money to the seller, the gun goes home with the transferring dealer, I go home with nothing. The dealer is going home with multiple guns in his temporary care. What if he gets in a car wreck on the way home and the guns get scattered all over the highway? That has happened here in Wash. once that I know of but of course at that time, they were all his, not transferees. Or what if he croaks? Or skips town? Or loses the gun in the confusion? These scenarios are a lot less likely with a store.

Oh, I meant to mention. There were thousands and thousands of primers there. All priced at $100 or thereabouts, new or new old stock. They didn't seem to be flying out the door. During the time I was there, I don't think the piles diminished any. That may have changed later. IDK. One that that I noticed was the prices were the same for smalls or larges. Which might make some sense in normal times, but larges, especially pistol, are much harder to find in stores right now.

The amount of primers at this little Falcon gun show was way more than I saw at the last WAC show.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top