JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With things mostly opened now, I'm thinking of exploring WA and its surrounding areas. Since moving to Auburn, WA (about 30mins south from Seattle) early last year, wife and I have mostly stayed home and only ventured out to close by areas to do our shopping. I think its time to go check out some attractions and I would like some recommendations as to where to start.

We'll like to start easy, so no long hikes or mountain climbing etc. One of the places I think we'll go check out is the Snoqualmie Falls. Wife loves visiting boutique shops and buy stuff so locations with lots of interesting shopping would be nice too.

Are there any other locations we should visit? Preferably locations where we can do a day trip but I'm open to staying overnight if we have to.

W/ Wife. Leavenworth. If it is still there, goto Cured.

1623182635936.png

If you decide to check out Leavenworth, consider going a little further East. You can see both Dry Falls (think Niagara, except no water going over it) and Grand Coulee Dam, which are pretty close to each other.

If you want to see Dry Falls, research the Missoula Floods. That will give you the background, and may inspire you to explore more of Eastern Washington, North Idaho, and Western Montana.

Funny, I was going to mention Dry Falls as well. Not really a destination, and no shops, but an incredible sight to see and learn about.

OMG, where to start? Hoh rainforest/forks area, Mt Rainier National park, Mt. St. Helens volcano observatory, Long Beach peninsula, N. Cascade Highway, Lake Chelan, Fort Warden/Port Townsend, Olympic Game Farm in Sequim...

OMG, where to start? Hoh rainforest/forks area, Mt Rainier National park, Mt. St. Helens volcano observatory, Long Beach peninsula, N. Cascade Highway, Lake Chelan, Fort Warden/Port Townsend, Olympic Game Farm in Sequim...
That's what I'm facing, when I look for places to go explore, I get this huge list and I've left wondering what to start, hahhah.....its a good thing to have choices but it'll be good to get an idea from the locals here where I should start.

Option 1: The Olympic Peninsula and the Coast. Spend a few days on the peninsula and then drive down the coast. You can add the gorge in when you get to the border if you have time.

Option 2: San Juan Islands. Take a day or two...or three...exploring each island. Don't blame me though if you want to move once you're done. :)

That's what I'm facing, when I look for places to go explore, I get this huge list and I've left wondering what to start, hahhah.....its a good thing to have choices but it'll be good to get an idea from the locals here where I should start.
There is little I haven't done and seen there. My list is a good start for newer residents. Don't let my current location tag fool ya, only been here for 8 months, lol.

Leavenworth is probably a good one to save until Christmas time.
Mt Rainier.
Snoqumie falls would be good day trips from Auburn.
Forks and long beach and the San Juan islands would be better weekend trips.
But I would plan ahead and make reservations for lodging and ferry trips in the summer because they get very busy.
And I think this summer almost everywhere is going to be busy.
Just my extra 2 cents

Leavenworth is probably a good one to save until Christmas time.
Mt Rainier.
Snoqumie falls would be good day trips from Auburn.
Forks and long beach and the San Juan islands would be better weekend trips.
But I would plan ahead and make reservations for lodging and ferry trips in the summer because they get very busy.
And I think this summer almost everywhere is going to be busy.
Just my extra 2 cents
I did a quick check on hotels in general and it looks like this year is going to be solid boom for hotels and tourist industry in general, the new Posthotel in Leavenworth for example, is booked solid basically from now until at least Sep (I stopped checking after that).

San Juan island hotels are heavily booked too, basically the good waterfront ones are booked solid.

This is going to be a very busy summer and I like what I'm seeing online. WA is opening up quickly, woot! :)

I love the Wintrhop/Twisp area.
Lots of recreation to be had. Shopping for the wife. I have been going to Winthrop for 35 years. One of the few places in WA that has not changed much but has changed if that makes sense.
The Olympic Peninsula has many great places. Pick a place and then explore what is around there. Hiking, rainforests, beaches, and small towns abound.
Spokomton isnt to bad and CDA is a short drive away. Plenty of shopping to be had in both places.
Walla Walla isnt to bad. It has changed from the old agriculture of wheat and onions to wine. If that is your thing plenty of wineries to check out and downtown caters to the associated crowd these days. Lots of little breweries to be found.
The Lake Chelan area is fun.

If you are looking for hotels in destination towns IE Leavenworth. Look to other towns in the nearby vicinity for lodging. Probably cheaper as well.

I love the Wintrhop/Twisp area.
Lots of recreation to be had. Shopping for the wife. I have been going to Winthrop for 35 years. One of the few places in WA that has not changed much but has changed if that makes sense.
The Olympic Peninsula has many great places. Pick a place and then explore what is around there. Hiking, rainforests, beaches, and small towns abound.
Spokomton isnt to bad and CDA is a short drive away. Plenty of shopping to be had in both places.
Walla Walla isnt to bad. It has changed from the old agriculture of wheat and onions to wine. If that is your thing plenty of wineries to check out and downtown caters to the associated crowd these days. Lots of little breweries to be found.
The Lake Chelan area is fun.

If you are looking for hotels in destination towns IE Leavenworth. Look to other towns in the nearby vicinity for lodging. Probably cheaper as well.
We will be spending a week in Twisp
Winthrop.
This year deer hunting.
Last year we stayed in Republic for 4 days and two days in Twisp.

We will be spending a week in Twisp
Winthrop.
This year deer hunting.
Last year we stayed in Republic for 4 days and two days in Twisp.

I'd love to deer hunt around Winthrop.
As a kid we'd camp up near Falls Creek for 2-3 weeks. Saw lots of deer. Caught more trout than I can remember. Scared off a few bears. Almost got bit by rattlesnake.
Lots of fond memories.
Last summer I took my family up there for a few days. Showed them around.
They didn't enjoy it like I do.

I'd love to deer hunt around Winthrop.
As a kid we'd camp up near Falls Creek for 2-3 weeks. Saw lots of deer. Caught more trout than I can remember. Scared off a few bears. Almost got bit by rattlesnake.
Lots of fond memories.
Last summer I took my family up there for a few days. Showed them around.
They didn't enjoy it like I do.
Yep we decided to stay in Twisp this year because it's in the middle of all the areas we want to hunt.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top