JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
getting ready for my first archery elk hunt. most likely going to have to pack anything (if i am lucky enough to get one) for a bit of a distance so i will most likely be quartering it in the field.
most of the videos i watched on how to quarter an elk were shot in colorado where they must leave testicals or evidence of sex attached to the meat.
now looking at oregon regs it gives 2 options either the head with attached antlers, eyes and ears or option 2 leaving testicals attached to one quarter. (ill be bull hunting)
now reading through the regs feels like rocket science to me so have a couple questions.

does the head have to be attached to carcass?
or are you supposed to keep the head AND evidence of sex on one quarter?

any info would be appreciated on this.

they just changed the unit i am hunting to bull only (trask)

also i am going to try and get everything i can off the elk but i am wondering what meat needs to be legally salvaged?
just the front and rear quarters and backstrap?

My first thought when I saw this thread was.....damp sheets, a torn foil wrapper with accompanying latex product, and maybe some used tissue.

I would try to do better than just the quarters and backstraps. You definitely want tenderloins. The rib meat and neck meat can be ground into burger or made into sausage.

If your stuck quartering, I would still work to get as much as you can, hell, it should only add in one more trip, and you went to the effort to get that far ( let alone getting that tag, the time off for the hunt, the gas and all the other stuff) all that meat should be pure gold! If you run out of daylight for a hike out, consider hanging the meat till morn so you can go back for it! Save the Head and the Genitals just to be safe, besides, Antlers make really nice knife handles! JMHO

thanks for all the replies. definitely gonna get as much meat as i possibly can off of it was just mainly wondering what i am legally required to take and what i need to have to prove sex.
i am also definitely packing the head out. it will be my first bull if i get one and even if it is a tiny one its antlers will be mounted one way or another in my reloading room :D

My first thought when I saw this thread was.....damp sheets, a torn foil wrapper with accompanying latex product, and maybe some used tissue.

I would try to do better than just the quarters and backstraps. You definitely want tenderloins. The rib meat and neck meat can be ground into burger or made into sausage.
Make a video showing.....hunter....elk...proof of sex.........sorry ...... Take em' gut bag

I didn't read everything so forgive me if I seem redundant.
After last year ,if I am hunting alone,I will bone out the elk. Bones are heavy and I don't eat them.
I'll take cloth bags to hold the meat.
Heads are heavy so leaving the sex organs is easier. Just leave it attached to the meat from a hind quarter . Not that hard.
You should harvest as much meat as possible. The front legs are kinda hard to get much from cuz of so much connective tissue. But get as much as possible.
I have to take the heart and liver too. Just can't leave it
YMMV on that
Anyway, it takes a few more cuts to bone an animal than to just quarter it

Would be nice in this day and age if you could just document it with a smart phone. Video or photos.

The head is heavy. But if I shot a bull with a rack, you bet I'd be taking that rack.

Just take them the butthole and say you thought it was the vagina.

Since you're hunting the Trask, as am I, and you already know that it will be a bull or nothing, your problem is solved, assuming that there's no way in hell you'd leave them behind. The head/antlers are your proof of sex and fall under your option one.

Leave the balls for the coyotes to chew on.

Last Edited:
Since you're hunting the Trask, as am I, and you already know that it will be a bull or nothing, your problem is solved, assuming that there's no way in hell you'd leave them behind. The head/antlers are your proof of sex and fall under your option one.

Leave the balls for the coyotes to chew on.
Well, so much for that gourmet meal of Oysters and Eggs after going through the check station.
Or that cool covering for the shift knob.

Nothing like your pickup's four or five-speed having a warm, fuzzy shift knob on a cold morning.

You should be fine just hauling the head out. We've never worried about having the genitals attached and have never had any issues. Only taken one animal to a butcher and also took the head along to prove it was a legal kill. Not sure if all butchers want proof but that guy did

My thought also....the wet spot...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads