JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Where we hunt in eastern Oregon the game warden that comes into camp every time he sees an animal hanging only wants to see the head. He will usually pull a tooth for aging purposes and take a sample from the brain stem to check for CWD.

getting ready for my first archery elk hunt. most likely going to have to pack anything (if i am lucky enough to get one) for a bit of a distance so i will most likely be quartering it in the field.
most of the videos i watched on how to quarter an elk were shot in colorado where they must leave testicals or evidence of sex attached to the meat.
now looking at oregon regs it gives 2 options either the head with attached antlers, eyes and ears or option 2 leaving testicals attached to one quarter. (ill be bull hunting)
now reading through the regs feels like rocket science to me so have a couple questions.

does the head have to be attached to carcass?
or are you supposed to keep the head AND evidence of sex on one quarter?

any info would be appreciated on this.

you only need to pick one option. What I want to know is if you choose to skin out the scalp how do you leave the eyes attached?

they just changed the unit i am hunting to bull only (trask)

also i am going to try and get everything i can off the elk but i am wondering what meat needs to be legally salvaged?
just the front and rear quarters and backstrap?

the only rule I am aware of is that it is illegal to waste a game animal or parts thereof (pg.27). I don't know what that means though since it doesn't specify what those parts are... technically, virtually the entire animal can be eaten but who does that. In my book waste means to discard any major portion of the meat. I take the 4 quarters, the backstrap/tenderloin and saw or bone out the ribs. I leave the carcass, the hide and the legs below the knee. I take the head for proof of sex, male or female.

thanks so much for the replies! unfortunately one of my limbs cracked on my bow 2nd weekend of season so if i dont get it fixed or get my rifle traded for a new bow it is the end of the season for me :(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top