JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i took my son and his friend salmon fishing today. The bite out of Newport has been hot so it was perfect timing for two young men to fish for salmon for their first time on the ocean.

We didn't drop lines until 9:30, since the boys had to drive over from the valley. No worries, I had fished the day before so we headed out to my hot spot. There's a big difference in bites between 6:30 am and 9:30 am, but we still had our first fish to the boat in about 10 minutes. Native!

We continued along the previous day's path for about an hour, getting action every now and then but nothing amazing and no keepers. Over the radio I heard a guy calling in a hot bite about 8 miles north of our position, so we reeled in and joined the crowd.

I was really paying attention to the other boats, seeing what we were doing wrong, when I saw two boats hooked up just a couple hundred yards to the west. I hung a left and trolled through the area they had vacated. Double! And both hatchery fish! Two newbies with fish on and only one captain/deckhand made for quite the rodeo. Good thing I had two nets.

F7AB8E34-0E53-45A9-9822-58794C1F736E.jpeg

I established a track using the chartplotter and we stuck to it. Quite a few drivebys, a few that didn't stick, but we ground it out and ended up with 6 clipped fish in the box, limited out. I only touched a rod twice, to stay legal, I took a rod right before we netted the fish I tagged. Other than that I just showed them how to let the gear out.

Each dot was a hit.

1B7965AF-54A9-4CB1-8EA9-A89052429F65.jpeg

55C230D0-A90C-4F8C-AA1D-333AA7AD25D7.jpeg

Then it was on to the crab pots, which had been soaking overnight. Not too bad, 26 crab in 4 pots, most of which were in surprisingly good shape. The haul included several absolute monsters.

D2AD2DAA-F87D-402D-833C-BC792F5B648F.jpeg

337DBB53-09FA-43FD-9184-E2A13D15BDA5.jpeg

We'll be eating good for a while.

P

Great job! Thanks for sharing.

May I ask what depth were you running? I went out around the Astoria area on Saturday with three other people. I was the only one that brought in fish, two nice Coho's that bit at 30'. Otherwise it was just nibbles or a couple of mackerel that we threw back.

Outstanding job Pharm!!!

I too had a similar weekend with my Son, SIL & his friend and we just had an absolute blast for 3 days, I was the captain & they did all the downrigger & rod work. Priceless!!!

I like the downrigger and rod work the best!

Running divers?

Delta divers, 12 pulls. We could see the flash of the triangle flashers.

Great job! Thanks for sharing.

May I ask what depth were you running? I went out around the Astoria area on Saturday with three other people. I was the only one that brought in fish, two nice Coho's that bit at 30'. Otherwise it was just nibbles or a couple of mackerel that we threw back.

10' down in 202'

P

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top