JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To directly answer the question it depends on the type of emp. Low frequency vs high frequency specifically. Atmospheric emp caused by a nuke will actually not effect battery powered devices and cars for the most part, but it would take down the power grid. An emp caused by these emp devices is usually high frequency and will cause damage to basically everything with a circuit.

I don't put all my eggs in one basket, I have redundant sight options and zero issue tossing a piece of crap in the dirt and moving on. I've gone through more than one rifle in 12 years I have no problem going through quality optic either, just part of the game. And they do last way longer than 12 years if not beat to death.

Blitz,
You use night sights don't you? What's the dif besides cost and capabilty?

You bet I use tritium sights, but the diff is even after the tritium dies I still have a usable sight. For this reason most of my optics are illuminated reticles that have a reticle even after the batteries die. For the red dots that don't, I depend on the CR2032 wafer lithium batteries that cost less than 80 cents delivered, and last 20 + years in storage and weigh nothing. So I can stock a bunch of them and a bunch of them will store in a hollow pistol grip. On these weapons I also have reliable iron sights and quick detach bases for the red dots

The only exceptions are a few Eotechs we have, but I am considering sidelining them for CR2032 red dots

In response to my inquiry about how an eotech optic would be effected by an EMP, Dan Lelko from eotech said:

Your best chance of having your EOTech survive a High Altitude
Nuclear Electromagnetic Pulse (HEMP), a localized non-nuclear
electromagnetic pulse (NNEMP also referred to as a High Energy Microwave
Pulse [HEMP]) or an Extreme Solar Activity electromagnetic pulse (ESEMP)
is to keep your EOTech off, and battery out when not in use, and stored
in a 1/8" (or thicker) lead shield lined metal case. The voltage per
square meter of in the E1,E2, and E3 bands from these events can be so
intense that even the basic non-shielded power and communications
infrastructure of the country could be neutralized. If levels are that
high it is likely that a powered, non-shielded, EOTech would be subject
to an electrical failure.

Definitely want back up sights on there...

Both the boys are SF and secret service, the toys they bring home to let me play with are real fun. E.O's are cool, as well as the ACOG, for some real cool stuff you ought to check out thermal, now that's, pardon the pun, hot! I can't imagine any of them taking an EMP and doing well though outside of the ACOG. Either of the units are a great addition to your favorite girl.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top