Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

EMP vs eotech

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by aarond, Nov 20, 2012.

1. aarond

aarond Gresham Active Member

Couldn't decide quite where to put this, but here it is.

I'm not exactly an expert in the area of electromagnetic pulse bombs...
    Realistically, what effect(s) would an electromagnetic pulse have on a battery operated optic? (Such as an eotech)
    Are you gonna be flippin over to iron sights?

2. Barefoot343

Barefoot343 liberalville Active Member

I am not sure what other choice you would have unfortunately.

3. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Store It in a Faraday cage?

4. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

You better have sighted in irons on everything, anyway. batteries run down

Mil spec chips are supposed to be EMP proof but I don't know about Eotech

5. aarond

aarond Gresham Active Member

Right.. I've considered an ACOG for just this reason, but I think (from someone who's barely used either) I'd rather get an eotech.

As fr the faraday cage, I've heard it'd work, but I don't wanna leave my rifle in a cage forever just in case...

I think I'll contact eotech and see what they say.

6. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

It's fairly easy to turn your gun safe into an effective faraday cage.

Insulation and a ground, and you won't have to worry any more.

7. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

I've heard that you can use a microwave oven to protect equipment from EMP.
    They are already shielded so I you have to do is use them as storage containers.
    A guy on the radio (Jery Doyle) was talking about a friend who's a prepper and who has got a whole bunch of them in his storage room.

I have not done any research on this so it could be just bunch of bull.

8. Luke2236

Luke2236 Springfield, Oregon New Member

The thing I would be concerned with would be the availability of batteries after an EMP. Look what happened after every natural disaster they are the first things people grab.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

9. Blitzkrieg

Tritium runs down over 12+ years and it will eventually fail, too

10. 4NONISSUE

4NONISSUE south sound Member

When it comes down to it if you can't point and shoot and hit what your aiming at you got bigger problems,Irons or non battery powered optics will be a must when SHTF

11. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Tritium is only necessary for the very low light and night use of an acog, if there are even small amounts of light available, the sight will work.

12. tfbit

tfbit Eugene, OR Active Member

This is what I don't like about ACOGs. I like my investments to last a lifetime with care. I've heard it's $500+ to get the tritium replaced as the factory insists on replacing all the guts.

13. Blitzkrieg

And if it is 10 years old when the SHTF?

14. JC9995

JC9995 Greater "Clackamas" Active Member

I heard the same thing so I tested the theory. Place a cell phone into the microwave and close the door. Now call the cell phone. If it rings like mine did, then it isn't as shielded as I would have hoped. This makes me think they would not be effective for EMP.
    Oh...and if you run the microwave with your phone in there....Darwin will take care of you during shtf anyways. :rolleyes:

Backwoods and (deleted member) like this.
  15. nwdrifter

nwdrifter troutdale oregon Active Member

yep, i use a motor size ammo box with the rubber seal. i lined it with styrofoam and the phone doesnt ring

16. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

EMP is about a .00000000001% chance; should not be a concern at all. (UNLESS it were to happen due to a solar burst, which would be also very remote possibility). Our owners haven't spent 50 years setting up a surveillance society of satellites, drones and cameras on every lamp post to see it all destroyed.

Concern yourself with other more likely scenarios. Earthquakes (esp in PDX), etc.

17. KalamaMark

KalamaMark Kalama Wa Well-Known Member

The tritium in the Acog becomes half as bright as new over 12 years. It becomes half as bright again over(roughly) the next twelve years. In theory, the tritium is 1/4 intensity after 24 years.

All of this is a moot point in an EMP SHTF situation anyway. The fiber optic works great illuminating the reticle in dimmest possible lighting you could see with your naked eye. I don't shoot what I can't see, and having an illuminated reticle in complete darkness is worthless. If you owned NVG gear, it wouldn't survive an EMP, and you wouldn't have batteries, either.

Finally, I have heard many tales of excellent customer service by Trijicon, and Tritium vials bein replaced for no charge.

Be an ACOG hater... I don't care. I have one on my "SHTF, can only take one" rifle.

18. Mac_Fan

Mac_Fan Beaverton Active Member

Believing an EMP to be such a low risk I do not consider it in my SHTF prepping scenarios. However, if you're buying an optic and don't know what the effects would be of an EMP if it were to occur, why take a chance? Buy the ACOG. Sure, it's a lot of money but six months from now that extra cost won't mean a thing. But you'll have the ACOG. Buy once, cry once as they say.

19. Triplebuckshot

Triplebuckshot Northwest Oregon Member

IMHO Trijicon Accupoint 1-4. Made specifically for fast moving target acquisition. I love mine on my AR10. I can easily hit to 400m no worries. More than that an the 4x magnification is a little lacking.

20. ernurse

ernurse molalla oregon Active Member

thats why you always have a backup plan no matter what, so an A3 carry handle or back up iron sights will do you just fine, remember the kiss principle in all things prep related.:paranoid: