JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Couldn't decide quite where to put this, but here it is.

I'm not exactly an expert in the area of electromagnetic pulse bombs...
Realistically, what effect(s) would an electromagnetic pulse have on a battery operated optic? (Such as an eotech)
Are you gonna be flippin over to iron sights?

You better have sighted in irons on everything, anyway. batteries run down

Mil spec chips are supposed to be EMP proof but I don't know about Eotech

Trijicon ACOG, totally battery free.

Right.. I've considered an ACOG for just this reason, but I think (from someone who's barely used either) I'd rather get an eotech.

As fr the faraday cage, I've heard it'd work, but I don't wanna leave my rifle in a cage forever just in case...

I think I'll contact eotech and see what they say.

I've heard that you can use a microwave oven to protect equipment from EMP.
They are already shielded so I you have to do is use them as storage containers.
A guy on the radio (Jery Doyle) was talking about a friend who's a prepper and who has got a whole bunch of them in his storage room.

I have not done any research on this so it could be just bunch of bull.

The thing I would be concerned with would be the availability of batteries after an EMP. Look what happened after every natural disaster they are the first things people grab.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I've heard that you can use a microwave oven to protect equipment from EMP.
They are already shielded so I you have to do is use them as storage containers.
A guy on the radio (Jery Doyle) was talking about a friend who's a prepper and who has got a whole bunch of them in his storage room.

I have not done any research on this so it could be just bunch of bull.

I heard the same thing so I tested the theory. Place a cell phone into the microwave and close the door. Now call the cell phone. If it rings like mine did, then it isn't as shielded as I would have hoped. This makes me think they would not be effective for EMP.
Oh...and if you run the microwave with your phone in there....Darwin will take care of you during shtf anyways. :rolleyes:

I heard the same thing so I tested the theory. Place a cell phone into the microwave and close the door. Now call the cell phone. If it rings like mine did, then it isn't as shielded as I would have hoped. This makes me think they would not be effective for EMP.
Oh...and if you run the microwave with your phone in there....Darwin will take care of you during shtf anyways. :rolleyes:
yep, i use a motor size ammo box with the rubber seal. i lined it with styrofoam and the phone doesnt ring

EMP is about a .00000000001% chance; should not be a concern at all. (UNLESS it were to happen due to a solar burst, which would be also very remote possibility). Our owners haven't spent 50 years setting up a surveillance society of satellites, drones and cameras on every lamp post to see it all destroyed.

Concern yourself with other more likely scenarios. Earthquakes (esp in PDX), etc.

And if it is 10 years old when the SHTF?

The tritium in the Acog becomes half as bright as new over 12 years. It becomes half as bright again over(roughly) the next twelve years. In theory, the tritium is 1/4 intensity after 24 years.

All of this is a moot point in an EMP SHTF situation anyway. The fiber optic works great illuminating the reticle in dimmest possible lighting you could see with your naked eye. I don't shoot what I can't see, and having an illuminated reticle in complete darkness is worthless. If you owned NVG gear, it wouldn't survive an EMP, and you wouldn't have batteries, either.

Finally, I have heard many tales of excellent customer service by Trijicon, and Tritium vials bein replaced for no charge.

Be an ACOG hater... I don't care. I have one on my "SHTF, can only take one" rifle.

Believing an EMP to be such a low risk I do not consider it in my SHTF prepping scenarios. However, if you're buying an optic and don't know what the effects would be of an EMP if it were to occur, why take a chance? Buy the ACOG. Sure, it's a lot of money but six months from now that extra cost won't mean a thing. But you'll have the ACOG. Buy once, cry once as they say.

thats why you always have a backup plan no matter what, so an A3 carry handle or back up iron sights will do you just fine, remember the kiss principle in all things prep related.:s0131:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top