JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What Should I Take To CA Tonight?

• M1 Garand

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Pump Shotgun

Votes: 26 92.9%

• Total voters
Reactions
Hey Folks,

I have a family emergency in CA and will be leaving tonight to head south. I'll be gone through the weekend. If I'm ever more than an hour from home I like to have a long gun in my truck. I have two options that don't break CA law:

M1 Garand in 308
Pump Shotgun in 20 Gauge

I'm leaning towards the shotgun (simply because it's already in the truck). But really do love the Garand.

Of those two options what would you take?

Scat gun all day.

The Garand would stress me out thinking some walking anus decides it didn't belong in civilian hands and confiscate it- maybe not likely.

Also, a shotgun has a bit less "scary" tone to some people.

Last Edited:
Of the two, the scattergun. I'd imagine this is for close range defense and a pump shotgun would be effective and, presumably, legal even in that state.

Sorry to hear of a family emergency. Hope you and yours are well. Good luck.

Make sure your Conestoga wagon is well stocked. Depending on where you are going don't forget to bring batteries, water, emergency food stuffs just in case PG&E has turned off the power tomorrow and through the next 5 - 7 days :confused:

Shotgun. It's almost duck season and all. But more importantly, the diversity of loads. I always bring a long gun of some kind (shotgun, 10/22, or bolt gun) and also a deep concealment handgun.

Lived in CA for 10 years. Beautiful landscape, but I hate the place. I feel like I could get locked away every time I go back to visit family. It's another country I swear. Sorry to hear about your family emergency.

Make sure your Conestoga wagon is well stocked. Depending on where you are going don't forget to bring batteries, water, emergency food stuffs just in case PG&E has turned off the power tomorrow and through the next 5 - 7 days :confused:

Yikes! That state is so dysfunctional now. Some of the crap I see, and some ways that is literal, reminds me of a third world country.

Beautiful landscape, but I hate the place. I feel like I could get locked away every time I go back to visit family. It's another country I swear.

Ditto. There are parts of northern California that has amazing natural beauty. But I will never live there because it is under the control of the lunatics in Sacramento. :(

Parenthetically, our "California loadout" is a Model 29 revolver and a Rossi 92 lever-action, both in .44 Magnum. The rationale is it is legal, fires the same potent cartridge, CCW is not an option so concealability isn't a factor, and in the rare case we're going there it is to see friends in a remote, rural area, not one of the decaying urban hellholes.

Shotgun. If you have one with wood, even better because it's less scary looking.
Don't take a chance on losing the Garand, keep it at home.
Don't forget your handgun can't have more than ten rounds.
If at all possible bring one that won't hurt too bad if the SJW Police confiscate it for "the children".

Stay safe and prayers for you and your family.
Safe home.

Indeed; one can acquire a decent pump 12 or 20-gauge for little more than a song now. A Garand, circa 2019, is going to set you back way more than that. I don't really follow Garand pricing, but aren't the .308 conversions sought after, and therefore command a premium?

Thanks for the input, everyone. I appreciate your well-wishes and suggestions. I'll probably roll out with the shotgun. I love shooting the Garand more but for a quick trip the shotgun should suffice...and as many have pointed out my Garand was about 9x more expensive.

I wish the trip was under different circumstances.

Just going by odds, you probably won't need any gun. But if you are talking about something strictly defensive in nature, the shotgun is the way to go. Remember, carrying any loaded firearm in public has been against the law in Calif. since 1966. "Public" is open to interpretation. It's a sad thing, but these days when a non-gun person sees any gun anywhere, they panic. Guy carries gun to his car, neighbor sees him through the window, calls the po-po and reports it as suspicious activity involving a firearm.

I think a 20 gauge is acceptable armament for self defense. You can get buckshot rounds in 20 ga., they will hurt and be discouraging.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top