JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No way. As far as I'm concerned, my DNA is one of my last remaining privacy's and I won't give it up voluntarily.

But

Others unknown to you can post their DNA and if you are related to them, can be extrapolated from the data.

Say your 4th cousin (shares a great, great, great, great, grand-parent) and some 2nd cousins (great, great, grandparents) post their DNA to a matching site. Then others can extrapolate that to a group of people which includes you. And, since some genetic material doesn't care whether you feel that way, can eliminate about half the group (male/female)

You may leave, or abandon, your DNA. Ever spit somewhere? Use a cup, utensils, at a public place? Drop off a can or bottle you used? Give a medical sample ( say a required UA for your job) or donate blood for a drive? Get tested as a marrow donor? Ever get a haircut away from home? Dentist?
Donate clothing?

--

Lots of questions in my head, not necessarily on point but kind of related to privacy. Like:
If you get a transfusion, can the donor DNA show up in your blood test for DNA? For how long?
Can they get viable samples from your Pee? Poo?

Some of the legal questions abound:
Should we grab samples from convicted violent offenders? (including juvenile) Most crime happens in certain areas. Having those samples can narrow down a list of suspects and while not "proof" it does help the police focus their efforts.

How about victims? Does a rape victim's dna get tested along with the suspects? If so, is that now apart of the "record" A victim's relative may commit a heinous crime and this data may get it solved.

You may leave, or abandon, your DNA. Ever spit somewhere? Use a cup, utensils, at a public place? Drop off a can or bottle you used?
If they're after me there's not much I can do. But I ain't gonna get in line to volunteer the information (via genealogy sites and services).

Give a medical sample ( say a required UA for your job) or donate blood for a drive? Get tested as a marrow donor?

Nope. I jealously guard my fluids.

Ever get a haircut away from home?

[chuckle] see my avatar.

Dentist?
Donate clothing?

Well, like I said, if they got a hard-on for me they'll get me, but the point I'm making is that I'm not willing to make it so easy for them to wrongly accuse me of something I didn't do by submitting to a "fun and informative" genealogy test.

I received a phone call a few years back from someone who said they were a distant relative and were trying to put together the family tree and there were some discrepancies (I come from a family of Polish lumberjacks who liked women, not necessarily their own). Since I was the only remaining survivor of my family (Mom, Dad, and both my sisters are gone) would I be willing to have my gene's tested to help fill out the picture?

Um. No. But thanks for asking, Total Stranger Who Just Called Me Out Of Nowhere...

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top