JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I certainly hope he is found to be the guy after all this. I would hate to see them do this then a year from now or so have to admit they screwed up some poor slobs life. If it does turn out to be him it's a shame he will spend his "golden years" being taken care of by tax payers.

I just read that they caught him using DNA submitted to a genealogy website by a family member.

I wonder how that worked? Does the .Gov routinely monitor all DNA submitted, or do they give the companies samples for certain high profile cases to keep an eye out for.

Something to think about.

Police used consumer genealogical websites to identify Golden State Killer suspect

I believe that when you pay for a subscription to one of those genealogy websites, you can upload your own DNA test and use that to compare to other uploaded DNA sequences to determine your family tree. So the police probably uploaded the DNA collected from a crime scene way back when, then matched that to his family member's DNA who had also submitted a DNA test and paid the subscription.

But, to be on the safe side, I would say that if you or any member of your family are a murderer or other major criminal, do not submit your DNA test to a genealogy site.

I believe that when you pay for a subscription to one of those genealogy websites, you can upload your own DNA test and use that to compare to other uploaded DNA sequences to determine your family tree. So the police probably uploaded the DNA collected from a crime scene way back when, then matched that to his family member's DNA who had also submitted a DNA test and paid the subscription.

But, to be on the safe side, I would say that if you or any member of your family are a murderer or other major criminal, do not submit your DNA test to a genealogy site.

How about insurance companies gaining access and denying coverage, or charging higher rates due to certain markers being present?

You don't have to be a criminal to have privacy concerns. Putting your DNA out there for who knows who seems like a bad idea. But that's just me:)

what we all should learn here is.

if you have done something very wrong any time in your life and there was a possibility of dna you left at the crime scene. never use one of the dna websites to find out your heritage. that is how they caught him

i had seen warnings on their websites and ads saying something to the liking of your dna was not a private thing on their sites. i think they started the warnings because of this case

Was just watching about this the other night on the ID channel lived down that at that time was a kid when most of it started. Wow make you wonder if they can get the Zodiac Killer if they got this guy.

Turns out he was a retired police officer

What I had heard is that he was "fired" from the law back in about 1980.
He had worked in a distribution center for a food/variety store, where he recently retired.
He was well known to have a bad temper. Neighbors reported he would yell and rant. Sometimes at nothing - ie just yelling in the back yard. One neighbor was threatened over dog poo.

This was a couple of days back, so I don't have a source handy.
edit - add:
Suspected Golden State Killer 'Was Always Angry' — and Allegedly Threatened 'a Load of Death' to Neighbors Over Their Dog

Last Edited:
There was a two or three hour show on the ID channel a couple weeks ago about this very case. About halfway through I turned to my wife and said, "I bet it's a cop."

So, why can't I pick the dang lottery numbers!!!!

That's one of several reasons I will never have my genes analyzed and tested.

• First off, I don't care where I came from. I'm here now and that's good enough.
  • Second, how is the information protected if it's protected at all?
  • Third, the State can get my DNA tests results and botch it like usual and finger me for a crime I didn't commit
  • Fourth, Insurance companies may get access and deny coverage or hike rates for genetic markers signalling certain potential illnesses
  • Bad Guys (or the gov't, but I repeat myself) can get the information and do who knows what with it.
No way. As far as I'm concerned, my DNA is one of my last remaining privacy's and I won't give it up voluntarily.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews