JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back in 2003 I purchased a black Milt Sparks vegetable tanned cowhide belt, which I've been wearing daily since. It's held up great, but it's time to redye it. As odd as it sounds, I've read one of the best ways to do this is by using a mixture of white vinegar and rusty metal. From my understanding you put the rusty metal (nails, steel wool, apparently anything works?) in the jug of vinegar and let it sit for a week or so. You then dip the leather in it, let it dry, oil it, and it becomes a shiny jet black color that doesn't rub off. Some also recommend neutralizing it with a baking soda and water mixture after running it through.

Has anyone tried this? If so, any tips?

I'm having a hard time believing it works, so if someone could explain the how and why it works I'd be interested in hearing it. I really don't want to ruin this fantastic belt :D

Vinegaroon – A.K.A. Vinegar Black - Adams LeatherWorks (http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/vinegaroon-a-k-a-vinegar-black/)

I tried this once, worked pretty well although the vinegaroon resulted in a not completely black color, more like a dark, dark blueish color but it still looked really nice. I think I would try it with balsamic vinegar the next time, instead of white vinegar (which is what I had on hand).
And yes, you need to dip it in a mixture of water and baking soda when you finish otherwise the vinegar will eventually break down the leather. Let us know how it works!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top