JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I oft thought this skill would be a good one to have, to make various firearms accoutrements and whatnot. I asked my wife about it, but she explain to me this is not one of the many crafts she's worked with.

Anyway, anyone make firearms gear from leather? Where you did you learn (family, class, book, etc.)? Have any neat-o creations you would like to share? Thanks. :)

I have made a few leather items for my muzzle loading lifestyle...
Err....hobby , yeah that is what I meant...:eek: :D
Here is a shooting pouch I made using part of a elk hide and a buffalo horn.
Andy

DSC06034.jpg

Literally laughed out loud to "Err....hobby , yeah that is what I meant".

Very neat-o work with the kit. Is this what they say is "possibles bag"?

(There is a horn on top of our gun cabinet. One of my relations gifted said for me to make a powder horn. Ended up just putting out for display with other miscellanea there.)

Literally laughed out loud to "Err....hobby , yeah that is what I meant".

Very neat-o work with the kit. Is this what they say is "possibles bag"?

(There is a buckhorn on top of our gun cabinet. One of my relations gifted said for me to make a powder horn. Ended up just putting out for display with other miscellanea there.)
Well a lot of ink both ink , ink and cyber ink , has been spilled with that very question.

I call it a shooting bag...most historic sources call it a :
Bullet pouch or a shooting bag.

A possible bag is a bag that carries the things* you might need , but which may or may not relate to shooting or a firearm.
*Things like :
Flint and steel...
A round ball mold , lead and a ladle...
Cleaning gear...
Extra socks....
Compass..
But many folks use "possible bag" as a term for their shooting bag.

I also think that the term "possible bag" is a more modern term and one not in use by the "mountain men" / fur trappers / longhunters of the 1800's .
I do not recall seeing that term in period accounts.
( Although , if one were to look long enough , it could show up , somewhere )
Andy

I also think that the term "possible bag" is a more modern term and one not in use by the "mountain men" / fur trappers / longhunters of the 1800's .
I do not recall seeing that term in period accounts.
( Although , if one were to look long enough , it could show up , somewhere )
Andy

I see, thank you for explaining this term. Much appreciated. :)

Though the name of the book(s) escapes me, where I read this expression was certainly in contemporary, or, more accurately, late 20th century, hunting books. I too don't recall seeing the phrase in 19th century American literature, though I believe my friend in the Evergreen state has read much more in this field of study than yours-truly.

(Parenthetically, the words "possibles" hits my eyes/hears wrong. "Possible" and "possibly" are words in English, while "posible" and "posiblemente" are words in Spanish. "Possibles" I don't recall seeing outside the pages of muzzleloading books. I say this linguistic quandry to my wife just now and she suggests maybe the etymology is French. I don't know any French though. Admittedly, I might be over thinking it. :s0112:)

I made a holster, it has no retention and I only wear it when practicing to quick draw, but it was worth the time it took me.
I used a hole punch. nylon string, beeswax to pull the string thru, and upholstery repair needles with big eyes for the waxed string. I don't today even remember where I got all of my leather scraps, that I have made things from over the years. Perhaps someone else will post a good place to purchase from.

DSCF1534.JPG DSCF1535.JPG

I made a holster, it has no retention and I only wear it when practicing to quick draw, but it was worth the time it took me.
I used a hole punch. nylon string, beeswax to pull the string thru, and upholstery repair needles with big eyes for the waxed string. I don't today even remember where I got all of my leather scraps, that I have made things from over the years. Perhaps someone else will post a good place to purchase from.

View attachment 755846 View attachment 755847
Nice job. Wish I could do as well. However, I think the fastest of fast draws come from a revolver.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews