JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm new to the 2011 platform. From my research I understand that it is not advised to drop the slide on an empty chamber.
To practice reloads, I plan to use plastic dummy rounds. My logic is that if a live round is safe to drop the slide on, then a dummy round should be hood to go.

Anything I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance

Always dry fired with no issues. Dummy rounds should be used like live rounds full cycle or full pull and release style threw magazine feed. Full cycle/pull on AR platforms is advised! The BCG must cycle properly to work. If you don't do a full pull it might not seat down all the way.... I'm trying to post more an help more round here! 😎
Vote No On Measure 114!!!

I'm new to the 2011 platform. From my research I understand that it is not advised to drop the slide on an empty chamber.
On 1911s (same thing...) the answer is, it depends: If you have a custom or light trigger the extra vibration caused by dropping the slide on an empty chamber can cause sear damage, over time. If you have a "production level" or heavier trigger pull the extra impact of the slide abruptly closing is not likely to cause the sear/hammer engagement to bounce.

On 1911s (same thing...) the answer is, it depends: If you have a custom or light trigger the extra vibration caused by dropping the slide on an empty chamber can cause sear damage, over time. If you have a "production level" or heavier trigger pull the extra impact of the slide abruptly closing is not likely to cause the sear/hammer engagement to bounce.
Staccato C no aftermarket modifications

Staccato C no aftermarket modifications
Ive never handled anything STI but my impression is they are not low end "production" guns and probably have a 4lb or lighter trigger pull. I would probably limit any empty chamber closures for type 3 malfunction drills only (I dont think it would hurt the gun to do it very sporadically IMO).

1911's headspace off the back of the cartridge, which is why you should never slam it home on an empty chamber.

Dry firing without a snap-cap is fine on modern guns. I still use one though, just 'cause, why not?

My STI Trojans were dry fired more than live fire. Never used a snap cap. I rode the slide when resetting the trigger. I don't drop a slide on empty pistols except when training new shooters.

I did use dummy rounds for mag change drills. The weight of a full mag of rounds was important.

My STI Trojans were dry fired more than live fire. Never used a snap cap. I rode the slide when resetting the trigger. I don't drop a slide on empty pistols except when training new shooters.

I did use dummy rounds for mag change drills. The weight of a full mag of rounds was important.
mag change drills is what I am looking to use the snap caps for. I appreciate your info.

thanks

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads