JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am seeing the word "drop" used to indicate starting or introducing. As in to "drop a bill" in the Legislature, or to "drop" a new gun on the market. While this is one of the more obscure meanings of the word, it can cause confusion. I expect that this is a case where a trend in use by a subset of the population (spread by social media) is affecting common usage.

Being ancient, I learned that "drop" meant to get rid of, or quit something, like "I dropped my History class because I didn't have time for the reading requirements." Even the term: get the drop on (someone or something)
To acquire an advantage over another person or entity; to catch someone or something in a vulnerable position or situation. The phrase refers to drawing a gun on someone first (thus causing them to "drop" their own gun).

It is reasonable to expect that this sort of usage could get started, since the meanings of the word "drop" as both a noun and a verb are so extensive.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/drop

Now I'll just go back and sit on the porch and continue to complain about younger generations ruining the world. ;)

This was bothering me as well. If someone states that a gun bill/legislation has been dropped, then I would assume that means it is no longer being considered, pursued, etc.

I, Like Totally, agree...

As a Gen X, we didn't try to change the usage or meaning of words.

When I read the title "The AFT drops the Brace Ruling" to me that means they finally realized the futility of making 40 Million pistols illegal... then I read the content of that article and, because we learned about comprehension, understood the article was the opposite of what the title portrayed.

Talk about the dumbing down of the citizenry.

Last Edited:
Been irritating the snot out of me but I have resisted commenting on it. The titles of those threads are misleading and subversive.

Outright clickbait.

If I weren't so financially invested in this site I would have been far more vocal about such underhandedness.

I value my membership here, otherwise my comments would be more colorful.

I'm sorry. I have no bandwidth for this.

I'm still trying to reconcile the notion that a "man" can have a vagina and a "woman" can have a penis.

Maybe try me again next year. Good luck though!

I am seeing the word "drop" used to indicate starting or introducing. As in to "drop a bill" in the Legislature, or to "drop" a new gun on the market. While this is one of the more obscure meanings of the word, it can cause confusion. I expect that this is a case where a trend in use by a subset of the population (spread by social media) is affecting common usage.

Being ancient, I learned that "drop" meant to get rid of, or quit something, like "I dropped my History class because I didn't have time for the reading requirements." Even the term: get the drop on (someone or something)
To acquire an advantage over another person or entity; to catch someone or something in a vulnerable position or situation. The phrase refers to drawing a gun on someone first (thus causing them to "drop" their own gun).

It is reasonable to expect that this sort of usage could get started, since the meanings of the word "drop" as both a noun and a verb are so extensive.

Now I'll just go back and sit on the porch and continue to complain about younger generations ruining the world. ;)
AMEN and MEGA-DITTOS!

Yeabut it sounds like "air drop" which is tactical and cool and totally makes the user sound like a high speed low drag, been there done that badass

"Drop" has multiple meanings. The one everyone is apparently in a twist over...

informal : to be released to the public
His latest solo album dropped in August …—Ed Rampell
The second Podcast drops Nov. 14 and can be downloaded free …—Langston Wertz Jr.
There's also something to be said for jumping on a subscription for a month or two, say when a big, new game drops.—Adam Rosenberg

"Drop" has multiple meanings. The one everyone is apparently in a twist over...

informal : to be released to the public
His latest solo album dropped in August …—Ed Rampell
The second Podcast drops Nov. 14 and can be downloaded free …—Langston Wertz Jr.
There's also something to be said for jumping on a subscription for a month or two, say when a big, new game drops.—Adam Rosenberg
Stop being so merry and gay.

Try adding the urban dictionary to your bookshelf.

"The availability of a product or service to the general public."

Thank you! I thought the same!!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads