JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ukraine uses long-range ATACMS against Russia for the first time
The U.S. provided Ukraine with the powerful ballistic missiles this month but did not reveal it publicly for operational security reasons, a National Security Council spokesperson said

The U.S. provided Ukraine with powerful long-range ballistic missiles for the first time earlier this month, and its military has already used them twice in the last week against Russian forces, according to three U.S. officials.

The first strike was about 100 miles inside Crimea's border on the morning of April 17, targeting a Russian military airfield, according to the officials. The Ukrainian military used the U.S.-provided Army Tactical Missile System, known as ATACMS, for the second time Tuesday night, targeting Russian forces east of the southeastern Ukrainian town of Berdyansk in Zaporizhzhia Oblast, officials said.

I used to make test chambers for microwave guidance systems, and I have a brother still working in the defense industry who's an expert in microwave technologies.

I wish he didn't have a NDA, and could tell me about the new weapons technologies. He can only hint that they really freak him out, and he's a big science fiction fan.

They compartmentalize everything, so when you build parts for weapons, you have no idea what they end up in. For all I know I was helping with intercontinental nuclear missile production.

With satellites, are Blackbird planes still needed?
Of course they are. The military is largely men and as such, there is a competitive need to have the fastest, stealthiest, largest everything. Can't let our enemies have a larger cock than us, now can we

Taking man out of warfare is a mistake.
The more warfare resembles a video game...the more we will see of it.

It is well that war is so terrible , otherwise we shall too fond of it.
Robert E. Lee.

For most of my time in the Army , to include combat deployments...
I was in LRRP / LRSD units....
We went way behind enemy lines to gather intelligence , conduct small scale raids...do bomb damage assessment , call in airstrikes and much more.
This calling in of airstrikes / guiding so called "smart bombs" is needed to be done with people on the ground....
Often what is shown on a map...or in a video / photo...ain't what is actually there.
Andy

Of course they are. The military is largely men and as such, there is a competitive need to have the fastest, stealthiest, largest everything. Can't let our enemies have a larger cock than us, now can we
If war was about the size of our cocks, China would be screwed.

I had kind of wondered that too. Seems the satellite tech has gotten so damn good now I wondered why they needed the plane.
* Satellites orbit according to the laws of physics so it is trivial to know exactly when one will be overhead, allowing a potential site to hide its activities.
* Satellites can't pop up over a particular target when suddenly needed; aircraft aren't so constrained.
* Satellites can't come within over a hundred miles away due to atmospheric friction destroying them - and typical orbits may only end up hundreds of miles away (slant range). Aircraft have no such limitations, resulting in higher resolution imaging.
* Air sampling is tremendously useful for evaluating nuclear weapons tests among other things. Satellites can't sample the atmosphere. Aircraft can.
* Aircraft can easily have their payloads swapped out as needed for particular missions. Satellites can't.
* Aircraft can fly when the lighting is best for the needed imaging. Satellites get there when they get there.
* Aircraft have the option of crossing over the target with a variety of headings. Satellites have no such choice.
* Aircraft have been made with low-observable "stealth" properties. Satellites have yet to do so.

None of which depends on the size of various organs. And as a former Satellite Systems Engineer, I know the strengths of both.

* Satellites orbit according to the laws of physics so it is trivial to know exactly when one will be overhead, allowing a potential site to hide its activities.
* Satellites can't pop up over a particular target when suddenly needed; aircraft aren't so constrained.
* Satellites can't come within over a hundred miles away due to atmospheric friction destroying them - and typical orbits may only end up hundreds of miles away (slant range). Aircraft have no such limitations, resulting in higher resolution imaging.
* Air sampling is tremendously useful for evaluating nuclear weapons tests among other things. Satellites can't sample the atmosphere. Aircraft can.
* Aircraft can easily have their payloads swapped out as needed for particular missions. Satellites can't.
* Aircraft can fly when the lighting is best for the needed imaging. Satellites get there when they get there.
* Aircraft have the option of crossing over the target with a variety of headings. Satellites have no such choice.
* Aircraft have been made with low-observable "stealth" properties. Satellites have yet to do so.

None of which depends on the size of various organs. And as a former Satellite Systems Engineer, I know the strengths of both.
Yep.

But the big weak point of satellites is, anti-satellite EMP weapon (nuke).

Initial attack..blind us.

Imagine if you will....battalions of mercenary Borneo cannibals deployed into Chicago, District of Columbia, Detroit, Baltimore.......

If it's good enough for Uncle Bosey....

Be the change.
Think outside the box.

I'd expect that the DOD and the NSA would have enough low earth orbiting satellites so that an enemy couldn't hide. Don't know the numbers involved.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top