JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I happened to take the long road back from a few days of 4wheelin' up in the Okanogan, came down through Yakima to Goldendale, then home. I noticed the first sign saying I was on the Yakima tribal land was something to the effect, "All tribal laws enforced". I don't know tribal laws and I'm always armed so it occurred to me to ask if the tribes have gun laws that would supersede WA and Federal gun laws? I have a CPL and my transported long guns are unloaded of course, and I'm clearly driving through, not hunting.

Yes they do.

Most reservations are considered sovereign nations. Think of it like crossing over into Canada without the checkpoints.

Whether they get enforced while driving thru depends on the road and what you are doing.

An interstate highway running thru a rez? Keep on driving normally obeying the speed limit and you are fine. Stop and do something illegal and you may find yourself before the tribal court.

When I was in the USCG we occasionally had to go onto tribal land to repair/maintain an aid to navigation along the Columbia that was on tribal land along the river - they made sure to contact the tribe and ask permission first.

Well, I was on Hwy 97 which is a state highway, not an Interstate. My guess is I'm covered by FOPA if on an Interstate, maybe not so for a state or local road?

Well, I was on Hwy 97 which is a state highway, not an Interstate. My guess is I'm covered by FOPA if on an Interstate, maybe not so for a state or local road?

It is more a case of their policy of not bothering people driving thru major roads than you being covered by FOPA. As I said, it is a sovereign nation - our laws generally do not apply there. As long as you keep moving along and don't do something they may take exception to, they won't bother you. Do something they don't like, and they can make your life miserable - if you drive over the speed limit, tribal police can stop you and give you a ticket and you can wind up in tribal court. The road may have been built by the state, but it is on tribal land and they can enforce tribal law on it.

And FOPA covers you in a state, from that state's laws, if you are an out of state resident and as long as you are passing thru, not stopping overnight or stopping to visit anybody, and you have your guns unloaded and in a locked container or in your trunk. It will not protect you from the laws of a tribe - as I said, legally they are a sovereign nation with their own laws.

I work on the Yakama reservation. I see people open carrying and concealed carrying all the time on the reservation. I ALWAYS carry or have one in the car . No one cares. Haven't seen a tribal cop in months. 99/100 its the sheriff you seen the res and they really dont care.

Agree with wired. Worked on and around the yakima Rez for around 8 years. Rarely did we come across tribal pd unless they were requested by the subjects we were dealing with at the time. There's been a big thing in the news lately about the tribe wanting to police themselves out in white swan and Wapato and such, sheriff said go for it and supposedly pulled all the deputies out then everything went to hell in a hand basket. Think sheriffs are back now. Could just do like the tribal members do when getting pulled over off Rez and say you won't talk to any law enforcement other than tribal pd (state patrol or sheriff in your case).

The "sovereign nation" bit is a little overplayed too. " Autonomous Region" would be more accurate. The tribes are administered by the federal government . Its just the state they do not belong to . Still part of the county and all zoning stuff is administered by the county. The tribal police only come into play if you are an Indian and request them. Then they just basically follow you home. Indians don't need a drivers license or insurance as long as they don't leave the res and if you wonder why you see cars up on blocks on the res its because they arent paid for and the "owner" stopped paying on them . The tribe doesnt allow for repossessions and repo men are not allowed.

As far as carrying on the res...No one cares. The sheriff deputies don't enforce tribal law .

Last Edited:
When I lived up in the Okanogan my 4wheelin' bud knew all the Colville leaders in the area, he'd make a quick call, good to go. We were just sightseeing, not hunting, armed nonetheless. Couple times we came across tribal officials, we exchanged pleasantries, no one even asked about our handguns, just the way it should be.

Huh, wha, not me, I am just passing through.

Pleading dumb ignorance is also a defense, but best just follow the speed limit. .

Brutus Out

Dangerous place to drive. The back laterals on the res are filled with farm workers driving way under the speed limit . It's almost like they are terrified of getting pulled over for some reason. Hmmm. They also don't have licenses or insurance and really don't know how to drive. Fatalities all year long. They just stop in the middle of the road on what are basically highways, especially Lateral A, to turn and get creamed. The Indians just blow through stops signs when theyre drunk and get themselves or someone else killed.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads