JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are many things that go into the price of the rifle (This generally applies to Milspec Rifles).
-Brand Name
-Materials used
-Inspection process
-Fit&Finish
Here is a very detailed list that will help you understand the above aspects: <broken link removed>

And Here is a comparison chart with some companies: <broken link removed>

There are many little details that Colt/BCM/Daniel Defense/etc. do to their guns that DPMS/Rock River/Stag/etc. may not. Inspection is expensive. I work for a company that makes aerospace and medical products, and there's a lot of inspection (FPI, MPI, Xray). All of that adds to the cost of the final product. Is it worth the added cost for you or I, probably not, but maybe.

Carried a Colt's in the war. 34 years later, with incentive from Unca Obama, I decided it was time to get an AR. Purpose: Light auto rifle to strap to my back for Coyote hunting. Researched for over 2 years. Shot with FBI and Delta Force (and some black-ops guys who wouldn't tell who they worked for) when Leupold was developing their Close Quarter Combat scope. Spent 3 days with these guys at a range in Vegas. Their recommendation: go with the Colt's if you want the best. (Custom manufacturers, Les Baer, etc. were not in this pool). Second choice and for my usage? DPMS. Solid gun, good factory support, and THEY (all shooters with me on those days) said, reputation for accuracy. My funds dictated choice number two. Very skeptical, I ordered one through the back door with some contacts I establlshed those days in Vegas. If it worked at all, I planned to upgrade to a heavier barrel. NOT NECESSARY! This gun (AP4) is stone-hard accurate. It was so right out of the box, with iron sights and cheapie American Eagle FMJ's. Handloads, Leupold 3x-9x Ultralight with mil-dot elevation reticle, and a Timney trigger, and it shoots as well or better than any heavy-barrel .223 I've ever fired. I am still in disbelief. Torture tests show it to be infallible. I will grant that I will never torture-test this gun as is done in combat, but I couldn't be more happy. You've got a great firearm.

P.S.: Talked an FBI guy into a bet, on the course and order of fire they were practicing with the CQB scope. I was wearing my Shilo Sharps baseball cap. He was wearing a nice FBI hat. We bet on the hats. He went home with air on his scalp. My (his) FBI hat hangs proudly on a deer-foot gunrack in my bedroom.

I just went through the process of inspecting and buying a lower receiver. What I found was quality wise DPMS was top notch. No machining marks, flat and square magwell, de-burred holes, and all sharp edges had been broken. CY6 was very similar in quality. Bushmaster had some machining marks and not all edges had been broken. Smith and Wesson was garbage. They had very deep and rough machining marks, burred holes, no sharp edges had been broken, and the worst of it was they stamp the logo and serial number and had deformed the inside of the magwell. I settled with the CY6 over the DPMS because of the finish color. Had they been the same color either one would have been a good pick for me.

OK I'm guessing BKB0000? has worked on guns that people abuse the bubblegum out of.10,000 rounds a year type shooting.
Yes the guns are going to break.

BUT!!

But if your budget is under $1000,then you probably won't be shooting that much anyway.
I recently went through this and put together a nice varmint type AR.(it will probably never see 5000 rounds) I went to M4's forum and to AR15's forum and read for weeks about different brands.The conclusion I ended with was that a lot of guys need the Noveski,Colt,BCM,DD,or whatever on their gun to be accepted at the range.

And they have big paying jobs to afford the expensive guns and 10k rounds a year

Every thread like this,and these were threads from a few years ago to this year,was just like this one.A few saying DPMS is junk and 5 guys laughing,saying they put a lot of rounds down the tube without any hickups.

So,you buy the AR you can afford NOW and then replace it,piece by piece,with better parts as you can or have to.
Get a Bravo Co bolt and carrier next year.A Noveski barrel after that.Maybe some Daniels Defense goodies later so you can post it on M4 and they won't laugh.

Basically,for the average guy a DPMS priced AR is more than adequate,for the amount of shooting and abuse it will get.

Thats What I have heard Most of the guys who have an Ar like you said get them so they won't get laught at and to also fit in.I'm NOT like that I got it to be Different my dad has 4 colts all diff Bushmaster was ok I liked the looks of that but $wise I went with Dpms All I need to do is start up grading parts and accessories and that is because I want to.
Next week Maby I will beable to get it broke in lol.
Thank you for the reply
God bless you and you're Family
Clayon

That is good to hear I just picked mine up Last Saturday Love the look of it really a smooth gun.
What is a CY6?
Thank you for taking the time to reply
Clayton

The CY6 is a lower receiver. A lot of people know them as SLR15 by Territorial Gunsmiths. I am not sure who does the actual machining of them but in comparing them side by side it very well could be the same as DPMS. The only real difference was the finish.

Look at it like this: you have a good gun period. A lot or more expensive because they have 4 guys building them with lathes and think there work is 200 dollars per hour.

It's better than no gun as well. DPMS is fine and I would take one into combat if I could go back.

If you read Handguns and Ammo and other magazines where they test guns you will notice they mostly get similar results with most guns.

I have seen the review of a SA GI shoot sub moa along a Nighthawk in the magazine. GI is $525 and the Nighthawk is $3000 +. It is worth that much of a difference? I don't know but I do know I will not buy a Nighthawk.

Again just be happy with your AR and enjoy..........................................

Name dropper

Aero Precision Lower. Mil Spec Trigger group, Mil Spec lower receiver extension, Moe collapsible stock, Miad Grip, Heavy buffer, Magpul ASAP plate, Magpul BAD lever, Magpul trigger guard, Ambi Selector. Aero Precision upper receiver, Bravo Company 16" Heavy Barrell with step down, Bravo Company M16 Bolt Carrier Group, Bravo Company medium Gun Fighter charging handle. Troy 10" Battle Rail with Knights Armament rail covers and Foregrip. The barrell is free floating using a low profile gas block. Magpul MBUS sights. Advanced Armamnet Black-Out flash hider. Fenix TA-21 light in a Viking Tactics light mount with a tape switch. Aimpoint Comp 4moa mounted in a Larue Tactical M68. !00 rounds total through gun without a hickup. Barrell was broken in properly. email if interested. sh**npg68@y*hoo.*** $2000 firm. No trades.

It's like "if I put enough big names in here,someone will have heard one of them....."

Scott Thank you for you're reply
I think I will enjoy it It also looks like I won't be getting a Nighthawk either lolol $3k that is ridiculous
The most I have ever paid for a gun wather it be a pistol or rifle is around 4 hundred this AR set me back
$874.00 + the 10.00 background check $884.00 Total I could have bought 2 pistols for that lol oh well
Again Thank you for the reply
Clayton

Well Clayton if you don't like I will buy it. Opinions are like you know what? So what, in the right hands you have a weapon that can be abused if need be and that video proved it. I never 10,000 rounds down range in one day and that DPMS took it like a champ.

Shoot some groups for us and post results I would like to see. You might be surprised.

Have fun....................................... and shoot it up.