Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

DPMS AP4 M4 Style Riflle.

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by 9p0607, Jun 14, 2011.

1. 9p0607

9p0607 Mcminnville,Oregon Member

Hello I purchased a DPMS AP4 M4 style with an A3 upper 16" barrel stock rifle
    I contacted a gentalmen from another company who used to work for Colt I inquired about some work I wanted him to do 1 he said that he wouldn't work on it if it was the last one on earth so I asked him why Then he had told me that they study diff types f AR-15 incl but not limited to DPMS he said that they were complete junk from front to rear LOTS of Problems Substanderd Materials improper mfg tecniques and a poor workmanship.I would like to hear from any one who has this type of rifle or any DPMS rifle.
    Question DID I GET A GOOD RIFLE OR DID I PAY FOR A 6LB PAPER WEIGHT?:confused:
    YOU MAY SEND ME AN E-MAIL AT clayton_smith@rocketmail.com I'm looking forward to what you all have to say...
    Thank You
    Clayton Smith

2. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

Tell the guy from Colt to pack sand. We all know what opinions are like???????????????

You got a good rifle and not a paper weight. You are not going to Iraq and you did not pay for a name with a horse on it. Don't worry about what he thinks and enjoy your rifle and shoot it. DPMS is doing something right as they sell enough rifles and carried by almost everyone.

Like I said enjoy yourself and have fun.

3. nwo

nwo Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with DPMS products. They make fine firearms that work.

There will ALWAYS be someone that talks down any given product. I would not take it to heart at all.

9p0607 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. 9p0607

Why thank you But it may not be going to Iraq but I hope that it will stand up to that kind of punishment
    I orderd it April 20th and I'm still waiting for it oh well
    Again thank you for the reply
    Clayton

5. 9p0607

Thank you so much for the reply
    I was have 2nd thoughts I was to the point that I was going to put it up for sale or trade as soon as I got it home
    I have done a lot of resech on DPMS/Bushmaster from videos on you tube and looking at them at gun shows. And the Dpms was in my price range so I purchased that (DPMS) one
    It is all paid for I'm just waiting for it to come in Orderd it on the 20th of April So I'm realy looking forward to seeing it.
    Again thank you
    Clayton

6. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

i mostly agree with the sentiments regarding opinions...

and now let me give you mine:

if you want a gun that'll stand up to "punishment," DPMS is not the one you want. BUT, for $600, you can't get an AR that will, unless you buy used parts and assemble correctly. you're gonna have to put out at least another $200-400+ to move into bare-bones "professional grade" AR/M4 varients. otherwise, it's a flip of the coin.

to qualify my commentary, i've been an AR builder/armorer and avid tactical shooter for well over a decade, including professionally. i've trouble-shot a lot of malfunctioning ARs, and DPMS has consistently been at the top of the list.

if we were all standing around in a public place, face to face, i'd suggest you cancel your order, and start reading up on the technical aspects of the platform... start here: M4Carbine.net

7. Scott

I have combat experience and I would rather have that than nothing. Don't worry and just enjoy it and waiting sucks. LOL

8. 9p0607

Well thank you for you're reply
    This is my first AR-15 and im thinking of building an AR from scratch probably starting with a bushmaster striped lower and a cmmg parts kit don't know yet any ideas on what to get.
    Thank you
    Clayton

9. sprocket3

sprocket3 Oregon - Wet Side Member

I would not stress over it. You got a decent gun.. Not the best on the market but I would say if it shoots good don't worry about it. I have a Rock River that is about in the same club as DPMS and it shoots 1/2 groups and has never missed a beat.

It's ture that you get what you pay for. But a chevy still gets you to work and back for a few years right!

10. Scott

Ok bbk,

List your quals for an AR expert, mechanical engineering, physics, ballastics. Who are you certified by? You shoot professionally? I would like to see some articles you have written other than here. Are you a tester for major builders? Do you design guns?

List them please as I am very curious to see your credentials regarding your statements. Are you a consultant for government contracts or any major maker?

Any qualatative studies regarding DPMS or quanatative?

Just wondering because you are telling a man his rifle sucks and you should explain why and how you know and come to this conclusion.

Thanks

11. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

right. i'm not playing that game. you can ignore my opinion or not based on the facts as i stated them. i implied nothing: assume nothing.

and i've said all i have to say, in this thread. [/bkb]

12. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

I've haven't had any problems with my dpms. In fact, it's been a great rifle. Better than the rock rivers and bushmasters that I've had.

13. 9p0607

Thank you for the reply from what I have been getting in my opinion is that its ok for casual shooting but don't put it through anything that is to harsh or abusive.
    should I swap out the factory parts in the Lower and upgrade them with something else?

14. 9p0607

Yes it does thank you for the reply
    Clayton

15. 9p0607

Thank you
    Clayton

16. 22many

If your gonna invest in any part on the rifle then I would upgrade the bolt assembly. Dpms bolts are ok for us civilians and you'll prob never have a problem with it but if you want that extra piece of mind then buy a young mfg bolt.

17. 9p0607

Thats odd to hear I thought Rock River/Bushmaster's were really good...
    Thank you
    Clayton

18. 9p0607

OK thats good to hear I will look them up
    any particular one or dose it matter I need to make sure it will shoot the .223/5.56
    Thank you
    Clayton

19. 22many

Bravo company makes a good bolt assembly also.

20. 9p0607

Thank you
    Clayton