JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, Taco_lean is a DBI (Domestic Bad Influence) and provided me with a link to some reasonably-priced Level 4 ("rifle-proof") plates that I just could not resist...

The question is, when I pull out the Level 3A plate that's already in the vest, would it do any good to put that extra L3A plate into another L3A vest?
In effect, the other vest would be a double-layered L3A vest. Would it offer significantly more protection from pistol rounds? Minimally more?
Would the two L3A plates need to be taped together with 100-mph tape? Or leave them un-taped to shift/move against each other?
Anybody else ever been in this quandary?

ETA: added "A" to all protection levels

Last Edited:
Careful referring to armor as 3 and 3a because 3a is very different from 3, but, quite obviously, a single 3a plate/panel/softarmor will prevent penetration from threats it is rated for, if you put two together, they will protect against threats they are rated for, but what will happen, is if the first is pierced, the second will attempt to catch projectile. As long as velocity is within the threshold it is rated for, it will work.

Common rifle rounds will still treat both those 3a panels like butter though, they are traveling significantly faster than either plate is rated for and it will not slow the projectile down slow enough for it to matter.

On that same topic, AR500 did a demo where a 3+ rifle plate was used in conjunction with 3a soft panel behind it, a rifle round beyond the rating of the rifle plate penetrated the steel, but was caught by the soft armor panel because it had been slowed down to within the threat rating of the soft armor panel.

Long story short, if you want rifle protection, wear rifle plates, if you only want pistol protection, yes, two 3a panels will slow pistol rounds and catch them "better" than one panel will.

Youtube is also a great resource, I'm sure someone has this already posted on youtube.

A123, thanks for the response.
OK, I was a little lax with the 3 and 3A. I'll go back and edit that in my OP.
All of the plates I currently own are Level 3A. I just bought two new Level 4 plates cuz I wanted rifle protection in the front.
I was thinking of putting one L4 plate in the front of each of two vests, and moving the L3A plate that was in the front of these vests to the back of the vests.
Essentially, "rifle-proof" in the front, "double-L3A" in the back. Was curious if the 2x3A would do anything "extra" and what would be the best way to set it up.

Demolition Ranch is funny. I like their vids...

To further my DBI reputation.

The proper answer is to buy 1 more nice low profile slick plate carrier to install the extra set of 3A plates into, for shopping for TP and high threat covert activities.

I would keep the level 4 plates together. Would suck to take a rifle round in the back, and the balance of the PC might be messed up.

You're out to financially break me, aren't you? :)

I would keep the level 4 plates together. Would suck to take a rifle round in the back, and the balance of the PC might be messed up.
This brings to mind a scene from Black Hawk Down...
One of the shooters is removing the armor plate from the rear of his vest, while speaking to SGT Grimes (the coffee-maker guy)
"I'm already carrying 50 pounds of gear, no sense carrying another 12. Besides, I don't plan on getting shot in the back running away..."
:eek:

Weight?
Plates are bad enough, and your wanting to double up?
I run soft 3A and a custom made curved plate front and sides, usually just the soft under my outer shirt! I can then add the plate if/when needed!

Not doubling up the Level 4, Ura-Ki, only the Level 3A. They weigh a pound or less each, as you know.
All of my Level 3A plates are soft. Only the Level 4s are heavy (ceramics).

See, here is my thinking in all of this:

I have two kids and an ex-wife. So I bought four vests, one for each of us (yes, even the ex - she IS the mother of my kids, after all).
The ex is a former cop, so she's also a shooter and not afraid to shoot if forced to, especially if it comes to defending our kids.
I also bought her an AR-15 and several mags in the run-up to The Hildebeast's ultimate FAIL 3+ years ago. Thought she might need it...

So, I figure the two people with the biggest smokepoles (that would be me and the ex) would be our potential adversary's first targets were an "altercation" to arise.
So, why not place Level 4 protection in the front of my and the ex's vests, to at least give us a better chance of prevailing in this altercation and defending the kids?
The kids would be behind us, as where most parents would place their kids in a defensive situation (we have run through these drills over the years).

The two Level 3A plates that I remove from the front of the two adults' vests (to make room for the Level 4 plate) then go in the front of the two vests for the kids.
Seems to me that a "double-front" L3A vest for each of the kids is better than just leaving the two "leftover" soft plates in a drawer at home...

Y'all following me here? Stop me if you think I've read too many James Wesley, Rawles books... o_O

Last Edited:
See, here is my thinking in all of this:

I have two kids and an ex-wife. So I bought four vests, one for each of us (yes, even the ex - she IS the mother of my kids, after all).
The ex is a former cop, so she's also a shooter and not afraid to shoot if forced to, especially if it comes to defending our kids.
I also bought her an AR-15 and several mags in the run-up to The Hildebeast's ultimate FAIL 3+ years ago. Thought she might need it...

So, I figure the two people with the biggest smokepoles (that would be me and the ex) would be our potential adversary's first targets were an "altercation" to arise.
So, why not place Level 4 protection in the front of my and the ex's vests, to at least give us a better chance of prevailing in this altercation and defending the kids?
The kids would be behind us, as where most parents would place their kids in a defensive situation (we have run through these drills over the years).

The two Level 3A plates that I remove from the front of the two adults' vests (to make room for the Level 4 plate) then go in the front of the two vests for the kids.
Seems to me that a "double-front" L3A vest for each of the kids is better than just leaving the two "leftover" soft plates in a drawer at home...

Y'all following me here? Stop me if you think I've read too many James Wesley, Rawles books... o_O

doubling up the protection on the kids does make sense. The 2nd layer should cushion the blow and keep them safer.

However is their a way to position them such that they are in a seperate room, not behind you in the path of bullets?

Would the EX come home if SHTF? Otherwise its an academic argument.

The ex has been instructed (and agrees) to GTHOD with the kids when I tell her to. Rally point is my "armory" in E WA.
She knows what to grab in addition to the BOBs. Kids are up on the plan, too, and of ages that can assist (17 yoa M and 15 yoa F).
Kids have been instructed in the art of point-shooting and speed-loading of mags.
Each kid "owns" a PDW that the ex "holds" for them at my insistence (although they're "just" .22LRs).
I take nothing for granted, leave nothing to chance...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR