JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been trying to determine what is causing my lack of motivation to do just about everything. I thought it might be low testosterone but I am now thinking that my dopamine system is messed up. I have been reading up on dopamine system problems and here is a basic synopsis of symptoms.

Although dopamine alone may not directly cause depression, having low levels of dopamine may cause specific symptoms associated with depression.

These symptoms can include:

• lack of motivation
  • difficulty concentrating
  • feelings of hopelessness and helplessness
  • loss of interest in previously enjoyable activities

Besides work and shopping I pretty much spend the rest of my time online. I have 50 gazillion projects and other things I could be doing but I can not get motivated to do most of them. My life involves hanging out on NWFA, reddit, youtube, etc and spending money on stuff that I rarely end up using or food that I shouldn't be eating. It's pretty pathetic but evidently not pathetic enough to get my arse in gear and do something else.

Anybody else been in a similar state and snapped out of it? If so how?

I am thinking a dopamine fast may be in order but not I'm convinced that it will do any good.

This week I am determined to get my workbench cleared off and start a build project or set up the press to reload something. I have to start another spending freeze too, my wallet looks like it has been through hell and back.

Last Edited:
Dopamine in and of itself is not a causative factor for these sort of symptoms. A lack of dopamine, perhaps, but outside of Parkinson's Disease, there are not many disorders that are manifest of low dopamine (schizophrenia, amphetamine and other stimulant addiction). Worth reviewing with your primary care provider to rule out any physiologic causes including depression. Setting goals such as your work bench are perfect, and there should be a succession of goals vs. just one. What comes after the work bench, and then what's next...Reasonable goals; no use in feeling bad about taking on too many and then feeling overwhelmed then throwing in the towel (parse out the 50 gazillion projects - prioritize, then pursue to completion before moving on to the next). Diet, sure - common sense prevails with that - real food, mostly plants, not too much. Exercise, too - consistent exercise being one of the goals - setting reasonable expectations for where you are at physically and then progressing as tolerated. Start with regular walks and go for time, not distance. It's good you're aware of this and seeking answers.

Dopamine in and of itself is not a causative factor for these sort of symptoms. A lack of dopamine, perhaps, but outside of Parkinson's Disease, there are not many disorders that are manifest of low dopamine (schizophrenia, amphetamine and other stimulant addiction). Worth reviewing with your primary care provider to rule out any physiologic causes including depression. Setting goals such as your work bench are perfect, and there should be a succession of goals vs. just one. What comes after the work bench, and then what's next...Reasonable goals; no use in feeling bad about taking on too many and then feeling overwhelmed then throwing in the towel (parse out the 50 gazillion projects - prioritize, then pursue to completion before moving on to the next). Diet, sure - common sense prevails with that - real food, mostly plants, not too much. Exercise, too - consistent exercise being one of the goals - setting reasonable expectations for where you are at physically and then progressing as tolerated. Start with regular walks and go for time, not distance. It's good you're aware of this and seeking answers.
The way I understood the problem was that receiving neurons become desensitized to the signals from other neurons that are trying to signal for dopamine to be made. I am constantly on the hunt for what is going to give me the next dopamine spike but cleaning my workbench off doesn't sound like it is going to do the trick. I search for low effort low reward activities which was on another list of messed up dopamine system symptoms.

This is my low effort low reward dopamine trigger source. My eyes are constantly scanning for this.

Screenshot_20220121-100328.png

Easier said than done for me.

I would suggest investing time in real world hobbies. Things that bring real value to your life rather than the faux value of "likes". For me it's the gym, outdoor activities and home improvements, but it could be whatever. From BJJ to cooking, it doesn't matter.

Start something small and complete it, then something else. It will steamroll.

The symptoms you relate are very similar to the lack of vitamin D3. Depression and anxiety are common when you don't get enough sunlight. Country has been run by very foolish medical professionals that say you must wear sun block to protect against skin cancer yet folks are suffering from D loss.

Get out of the damn house. Its not natural for someone to be cooped up all the time. You need sun, some exercise of some kind. Even if it is small like a walk. And it needs to be done daily. Ive made it a point to not get caught up with online crap. Used to game pretty heavily back in my early 20's. Now I mostly fish or mountain bike. Just got a one wheel also just to learn something different. Anything to get me outside.

Get out of the damn house. Its not natural for someone to be cooped up all the time. You need sun, some exercise of some kind. Even if it is small like a walk. And it needs to be done daily. Ive made it a point to not get caught up with online crap. Used to game pretty heavily back in my early 20's. Now I mostly fish or mountain bike. Just got a one wheel also just to learn something different. Anything to get me outside.
I have found that if I'm in a funk, any activity in the woods makes me feel way better. Even a walk helps a lot. Maybe your first goal should be to walk half a mile further than you usually do. By usually do, I mean if you already walk around the block every day, walk further. Outside. Inside doesn't count. Shopping doesn't count. Stairmaster doesn't count. Get outside.

I have found that if I'm in a funk, any activity in the woods makes me feel way better. Even a walk helps a lot. Maybe your first goal should be to walk half a mile further than you usually do. By usually do, I mean if you already walk around the block every day, walk further. Outside. Inside doesn't count. Shopping doesn't count. Stairmaster doesn't count. Get outside.
Unless the weather is nasty we take the fur alarms out at least one time a day. Often have to coax the Wife to go but we both enjoy it as soon as we get going. Not to mention the fur alarms always love it!

Easier said than done for me.

Get a girlfriend. They seem to soak up all your time. And what hobbies you do have, they will disagree with and upend your habits.
I suggest this as a 12 month fix. After that, they stop putting out and all the fun time needs to be filled with mindless distractions, again.

Get a girlfriend. They seem to soak up all your time. And what hobbies you do have, they will disagree with and upend your habits.
I suggest this as a 12 month fix. After that, they stop putting out and all the fun time needs to be filled with mindless distractions, again.
That sounds about right. I used to go through about one a year. :s0087:

Should I tell my wife or keep it on the down low:)

I have been doing some exercise but the real problems lie with the internet and shopping sucking me in daily. It's a super easy way to kill many hours in a day and not break a sweat. My wife has a similiar problem but her addictions are TV and her Kindle.

As much I as I love NWFA, I've really need to cut way, way back on my time here and do some "real" world" stuff as @slimmer13 implied.

2022 was suppose to be the year I started making regular range trips again, reloading some of the many thousands of projectiles I have bought and working on lots of firearm projects I have parts for. So far I have been to the range once. It feels like a motivational paralysis.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top