JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Apparently there has been a shooting in Santa Cruz today during which 2 officers and 1 "suspect" was fatally shot. At last report police have taped off a several block area and are conducting "door to door, garage to garage, closet to closet" searches within this area. Keep in mind that the article I'm quoting indicates that there "may be another suspect".

2 police officers shot dead in Santa Cruz, California | Fox News

My question is: Knowing the circumstances involved, how would you react if the police knocked on your door and "requested" to come in and do a closet to closet search of your home in order to find a "possible" unknown suspect? Further, what if you said thanks but no thanks and they insisted? Can they insist legally without a warrant based on suspicion and proximity alone?

What I'm wondering is how the police would react when I said "sorry guys, not without a warrant" just based on principal. Would they assume that I might potentially being held against my will by the possible suspect and be able to justify entry? Or maybe just be butt hurt because some kind of radical bubblegum who thinks the constitution is still valid is challenging authority?

Article indicates that people are locking themselves in their homes and businesses for hours waiting........ CA/ No guns = scared bubblegumless, hiding in a hole waiting for the bad guys to come and get you I guess. I'm starting to see this trend more and more in the news where you hear of these "door to door" type searches looking for a bad guy. Of course we want to be helpful within the confines of a lawful search for a bad guy but sometimes I just think the line gets too fuzzy.......... on Lawful and Bad Guy

My question is: Knowing the circumstances involved, how would you react if the police knocked on your door and "requested" to come in and do a closet to closet search of your home in order to find a "possible" unknown suspect?

Oh my gosh.....did you see where the guy went?
No?.....Well my house has been locked up, I've been here and haven't heard any noises like someone trying to break in so I have to say that there's no one in my house.
But......if I see or hear anything you'll be the first to know.
Good luck finding this lunatic.
Hey, you guys have been running around the neighborhood, do you need a pepsi or coke or something? I'll go to the fridge and get you one and bring it back out here to the front porch. No? Ok.
You guys be careful.

Hahaha....well, knowing Santa Cruz like I do...they see cops on their door steps and they are out the back door themselves...too many closet gardens going on there

I've had experience where the "unknown suspect" was clearly bullbubblegum. I was driving a friend's 15 year old POS VW Dasher. It was yellow and had a black door because, well, it was a POS and the door came from a YouPullIt place.

Portland Police officer pulled me over. It happened to be right in front of where I lived. I asked him why he pulled me over. He said a driveby had been committed in the neighborhood in a car matching the description of the car I was driving. Granted, it was NE Portland in the 90s and driveby shootings were pretty common, but I was incredulous.

I asked, "Somebody did a drive by in broad daylight? While driving a 2000lb bumblebee?"

He looked at me for a minute, asked if this as where I lived and when I nodded yes, said maybe I'd just rather go inside.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top