JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Saw that it was available and while not a prepper, I am an advocate of being prepared and am much more prepared than the average American. Pretty sure any good ol' boy from Idaho that is into hunting, fishing, and camping has a much better chance of survival than most.

So I started watching the show, which appears to be a few years old.

Are all preppers fat and crazy??

Because that is the picture that the show has painted of those wanting to be prepared for disaster.

There has to be an ulterior motive to the show, because the first two or three episodes featured people that I would never be associated with, other than the ex-cop in Virginia. The rest were totally mouth-breathers that were unrealistic, paranoid, and a joke.

Please assure me that not all preppers are as bad as the show is portraying them as.

And why would the Anti-Gunners in control of the media want to marginalize these people?

I haven't seen the show, so can't comment on the content of said. However, I have been active in preparedness, both personal and community, for a while and have written on the topic for various sites and publications. So I have some experience with those that are actively preparing.

There is, sadly, an element that is like you describe; out of shape, conspiracy theory-spewing, poorly educated, wackjob, losers in life. They tend to make a lot of noise and I'm not surprised that a hostile media would fixate on the more nutty elements.

But they aren't indicative of everyone or even the majority of people who prepare their families and communities for disasters. Most are everyday people from all walks of life. I've met or corresponded with medical professionals, scientists, information technology professionals, ex-military, LEOs, outdoorsy people, radio enthusiasts, etc., that are contributing something to preparedness and civil defense.

It's a reality TV show and so the wackiest of the bunch are featured.

99% of people don't have that kind of financing or time available to build wet dream bunkers in BFE.

Thinking reality.
We are all portrayed otherwise.
How someone looks, or appears presented, IMO is irrelevant.
When SHTF, there will be no judges.

We have not had TV for 30yrs. Off grid for 30yrs. But I can only imagine what the tv is telling the people. And to me the sad part is they will watch it. Tend to .your own business, keep your business to your self, talk less, then and only then will you be ready.

Fat... Well yeah, I could afford to lose a few pounds.
Crazy... Only because my wife has made me that way.

But seriously, the folks on that show are fairly extreme and the show is edited to highlight it. My wife and I watched it to see if there were any ideas or lessons learned that could be garnered from it. They were few and far between and we spent most of the time pointing out things that were bad ideas (Such as burying a shipping crate without reinforcing it).

Fat... Well yeah, I could afford to lose a few pounds.
Crazy... Only because my wife has made me that way.

LOL!

Believe me, I'm a big guy myself and cast no aspersions and am actively working on getting in shape. I think the most important thing in being prepared for a SHTF scenario is to be physically fit, if possible.

I know if I was in Seattle visiting my son and things went bad, I could not walk more than a few miles, especially with gear.

I would think that serious preppers would place physical fitness very high on the list of things that can make a difference between life or death.

Uh.......it's tv.
Quality programming is just an urban myth.
Don't think you're going to see any shows about MENSA candidates.
The I.Q.s of tv shows seems to hover around their hat size.
We killed our tv years ago. I'm still smiling.

Saw that it was available and while not a prepper, I am an advocate of being prepared and am much more prepared than the average American. Pretty sure any good ol' boy from Idaho that is into hunting, fishing, and camping has a much better chance of survival than most.

So I started watching the show, which appears to be a few years old.

Are all preppers fat and crazy??

Because that is the picture that the show has painted of those wanting to be prepared for disaster.

There has to be an ulterior motive to the show, because the first two or three episodes featured people that I would never be associated with, other than the ex-cop in Virginia. The rest were totally mouth-breathers that were unrealistic, paranoid, and a joke.

Please assure me that not all preppers are as bad as the show is portraying them as.

And why would the Anti-Gunners in control of the media want to marginalize these people?
Anti gunners will lie, cheat, use the media as propaganda to control us. There are good people simply trying to survive....not the morons these documentarys try to make them out to be.

My favorite episode was a dentist or something like that, out of San Diego. His wife was from the Philippines and had lived off the grid for a time. This guy finds a cave someplace, and has some wacky ideas how to survive. She keeps telling him, you don't need to do this or that. I've been surviving for years. He won't listen to any of it.

A lot of it seemed staged. There were a few episodes were a guy was an ex-felon and someone saw him on TV with a gun and he was arrested. Another where a guy got shot. I wish I could say this was the worst reality TV show ever but it's not even close.

I never saw that DP show - I think that it was a cable show originally.

I did see a couple of brief 'snippets' about a 'popular' prepping show on a forum and on a few news (?!?) websites several years ago if it is the same show. Maybe the show that you listed in the original OP is another 'prepping show'. I do not know or remember for sure. Sorry.

The snippets that I saw made a lot of the boob tube show preppers look out of shape, somewhat crazy, totally gun crazy where they valued guns/ammo OVER any other thing and/or a specific amount of guns/ammo for each family member, water, food, shelter, basic supplies, medical supplies, first aid kits, etc.

Most likely, the show's producer wanted to pick the unusual or extremist people/preppers on purpose to give the show extra ATTENTION.

There is a reason why they call television shows 'programming' too.

I call myself prepared for all kinds of emergencies but mainly weather related ones.

I always laugh (I KNOW that I should not do this but I do!) at the people who run out to buy a loaf of bread or some 'thing' because they hear that a storm is coming yet they will have a boob tube that looks like a movie screen in their home with a lot of 'stuff' in their home but nothing of VALUE to sustain their basic LIVING needs in any emergency situation. You would think that they might have a spare loaf of bread in their freezer/ref combo or in a stand alone freezer. Or they might have the ingredients to make something in a pinch BEFORE the storm hits! Most likely they do not have a stand alone freezer or even a small pantry of food items and household supplies.

The producers/directors of many of these shows including the 'mass news media' want to give ordinary, old fashioned or not, religious or not, 'prepared people' a bad name especially gun folks so they use some prepping (?!) shows to put forth a DELIBERATE BAD VIEW of people who were brought up to NOT to depend on the government teat or any other person to help them survive or get by in tough situations in life AND in emergency situations.

Cate

I haven't seen the show, so can't comment on the content of said. However, I have been active in preparedness, both personal and community, for a while and have written on the topic for various sites and publications. So I have some experience with those that are actively preparing.

There is, sadly, an element that is like you describe; out of shape, conspiracy theory-spewing, poorly educated, wackjob, losers in life. They tend to make a lot of noise and I'm not surprised that a hostile media would fixate on the more nutty elements.

But they aren't indicative of everyone or even the majority of people who prepare their families and communities for disasters. Most are everyday people from all walks of life. I've met or corresponded with medical professionals, scientists, information technology professionals, ex-military, LEOs, outdoorsy people, radio enthusiasts, etc., that are contributing something to preparedness and civil defense.

This is true and thank you.

As I said, I don't know that DP show personally.

Obviously some people never dealt with or had family members in VOLUNTEER fire departments, emt squads, etc. in rural areas, small towns, etc. because those people DO DRILLS on a weekly/monthly basis. They discuss and WORK IN aka do runs in emergency situations and being prepared.

Most of us older folks had parents and mentors who lived through 'the 30's depression' and a few world wars/conflicts.

They discussed 'rations' from a to z and victory gardens. Most of them gardened a bit and even 'city folks' would grow something if they could. People tried to buy things on sale IF they could from food to fabric for sewing, knitting goods, tp, etc. People who worked in the medical field including public health discussed gas rationing and some of the places that they had to visit during WW2 in their towns, cities and surrounding areas. Other people discussed gas rationing and all other types of rationing too.

So if you were the type of person that tried to be prepared - you had a start on things compared to people that did not do this in their lives.

Cate

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top