JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I switched doctors a couple months ago and have been there and to the hospital a couple times for tests. Doctors office is part of the Salem Health network as is the hospital. The form in the doctors office only asked the usual questions about my families medical history, drug, alcohol and tobacco use, etc. A doctor I saw 10-12 yrs ago gave me a 4-5 page AMA questionnaire that had questions about firearms in the house hold including how many, along with a lot of other things that I thought were none of their business. I marked N/A to at least half of the questionnaire and wrote on the bottom of the last page that "N/A means that the question is Not Applicable to any health problems that I am currently having or may be having in the future. If you disagree please explain". The doctor mentioned it when she came in and said that she agreed that many of the questions should not be on there as they have little bearing, if any to health. She was working out of a clinic and said that they required her to use the form and she didn't agree with it.

If asked, in turn I'll ask how firearm ownership would correlate to my high blood pressure and other health issues. Maybe since my BP is lower after a shooting session they could write a script for a Henry lever since I get them filled at Bimart? :)

If you don't trust your doctor then why are you seeking medical advice from them that could effect your life and well being. I do not hide the fact I support the 2A from any one including my doctors. I would be willing to take them shooting if they asked.

If you don't trust your doctor then why are you seeking medical advice from them that could effect your life and well being. I do not hide the fact I support the 2A from any one including my doctors. I would be willing to take them shooting if they asked.
I trust my doctor but whether or not I own firearms is not related to my healthcare and therefore none of her business. Its that simple.

Makes me not want to go to the doc........

Haven't been in a while, same guy for the last 20 years. I don't go much, usually only if I get hurt (which is slowing down some). So far he hasn't asked about firearms just the drinking/drug questions which I happily answer. Seems I will have to 'coach' the kids and wife on proper responses to prying questions. Unfortunately for me I like to have some guns laying around the house. Tell the truth I don't even think the kids see them anymore, just part of the furniture. Can't fit them all in the safe anyway, probably time for a 2nd one.

A few years ago Kaiser tested everyone for AIDS without letting them know ahead of time. I found out when Mrs. 3M opened my test results and wanted to know why I was being tested for an STD... Fortunately it hit the news before she killed me.

The point here is that there is an attitude in the medical community of superiority that entitles them to cross the line "in the interest of the public" that can be exploited for political gain.

Last Edited:
I guess I see my doctor as more of a friend than a threat. If he asks a question I will try to answer it. If I feel that the questions is something I don't want to answer I politely indicate that and decline to answer. I make no secret that I am a gun owner but no one but me and my close friends really know what I have.

Use the link below to read an article on the Orlando Sentinel's website. Also, here is one paragraph from the article.

Don't be surprised if your doctor asks you about guns

The Violence Prevention Research Program at the University of California Davis has launched a new tool kit for doctors and nurses that teaches them how to gently introduce the topic of guns into the conversation, with a special emphasis on spotting red flags that could indicate risks for suicide, domestic violence, homicide or child access to guns.

People need to be really careful about what they tell their doctors etc... Especially at the VA or other government offices. They will be trying to use everything they can against us in order to deny us our 2A rights. Are you feeling down, having financial problems, not sleeping well etc…

Do not answer any questions affirmatively that pretain to your emotional or mental state. They may be used to confescate your firearms.

I think people should just answer honestly, but don't need to give ALL the details. For example:

"Do you have any guns in the household?"

Yes, for example, I have a screw gun, a caulking gun, a grease gun, a staple gun, a finish nail gun, a brad nail gun, and an air gun on my compressor. One of these days I'm probably hoping to buy even more guns, like maybe a framing nail gun and a roofing nail gun. Guns are useful tools, so it's good to have a nice variety for various situations.

All truthful and accurate, yet telling them nothing anyone would likely care about... yet...

:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads