JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Use the link below to read an article on the Orlando Sentinel's website. Also, here is one paragraph from the article.

Don't be surprised if your doctor asks you about guns

The Violence Prevention Research Program at the University of California Davis has launched a new tool kit for doctors and nurses that teaches them how to gently introduce the topic of guns into the conversation, with a special emphasis on spotting red flags that could indicate risks for suicide, domestic violence, homicide or child access to guns.

People need to be really careful about what they tell their doctors etc... Especially at the VA or other government offices. They will be trying to use everything they can against us in order to deny us our 2A rights. Are you feeling down, having financial problems, not sleeping well etc…

Last Edited:
Wow, and our own tax dollars are being used to fund this type project.

Federal funding tops sources for UC Davis
Awards from the federal government topped the list for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2016, totaling $391 million. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services accounted for the largest source of federal funding with $213 million in awards, up from $206 million last year. The next highest federal award was from the Department of State (CIA Connections) at $53 million, followed by the National Science Foundation with $43 million in awards.

Wow, Janet Napolitano is actually the President of UC Davis since leaving her position as the head of Homeland Security. No wonder they received so much Government funding.

United States Secretary of Homeland Security from 2009 to 2013

Janet Napolitano - Wikipedia

Also interesting to find out that they are using research from Center for Gun Policy and Research, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD.

I'll get right on that. Right after we ask the required confirmation that the problem, medication and allergy list is correct, the PHQ-9 and GAD7 mental health screening questions, the Zika virus travel information, you pain score and pain level screening questions (Thanks Purdue Pharma, we'll keep on prescribing that oxycontin), Document the required BMI every visit, all the Patient Centered Medical Home requirements and the Meaningful Use for Electronic Health Records. Not to mention documenting all the Evaluation and Management coding requirements to bill the visit as well as document the list of MCC problems the insurance company requires to clarify so they can get more money from Medicare.

Then I'll use the remaining 30 seconds of the visit to ask why you are here after which Medicaid will pay me $28 for that visit 6 months later.

So if at that point I ask if you have any firearms it will be so I can shoot myself.

A lie from the Orlando Sentinel article: "Doctors can jot down the patient's answers in the file, but are otherwise prohibited from sharing personal health information due to federal law."

Everything in that file is available to all other doctors. I went for a physical and they pulled up an MRI I'd had a couple of years earlier in another town. So, it's being shared. No telling who else can see it; and there is a 100% probability that it will be hacked and be available to everyone on the internet in the near future. I'm sure that if you get a physical for a new job (or an existing job) the employers will be looking at those electronic medical records in their hiring decisions - including whether you own guns or not. I'll just politely refuse to answer any non-medical questions.

BUT I will say this - I am 100% ready to vote for a benevolent dictator to put a stop to this BS because I know that is the only way it will stop.

A quick duckduckgo.com search answers the question of who can see your electronic medical records - just about everyone:
How Private Are Your Medical Records?

PS Use duckduckgo.com instead of google - supposedly they don't track you.

Last Edited:
I have been seeing a lot of doctors and other healthcare providers lately. Not one has asked me about guns - all have asked me about what meds I take, my health history and my symptoms.

The only one who came close was an intake nurse at St. Vincent's ER - who asked me if I felt safe in my home environment - most likely because it was on the check off list.

I almost never talk to anybody about guns, but especially not strangers when it isn't their business and especially when it is not germaine to the issue at hand.

I'll get right on that. Right after we ask the required confirmation that the problem, medication and allergy list is correct, the PHQ-9 and GAD7 mental health screening questions, the Zika virus travel information, you pain score and pain level screening questions (Thanks Purdue Pharma, we'll keep on prescribing that oxycontin), Document the required BMI every visit, all the Patient Centered Medical Home requirements and the Meaningful Use for Electronic Health Records. Not to mention documenting all the Evaluation and Management coding requirements to bill the visit as well as document the list of MCC problems the insurance company requires to clarify so they can get more money from Medicare.

Then I'll use the remaining 30 seconds of the visit to ask why you are here after which Medicaid will pay me $28 for that visit 6 months later.

So if at that point I ask if you have any firearms it will be so I can shoot myself.

I just need to take you with me on my next doctor's visit - I'd never remember all that ;)

Seriously though, I have two regular physicians, my GP and my endocrinologist - saw both in the last month and neither asked about guns, never have before, and honestly, I don't expect they ever will. Just not something that either would play along with.

About three years ago the DR asked, and simply said whats the next question.
These are not cops, you wont lose care or coverage if you do not answer. I simply
move on to the next problem solves. My son did the same thing, my wife as well.
See Doctors are messengers not enforcers simply control the messenger and its done.
No reason to complicate it just say whats your next question politely.

( remember it like being pulled over and the cop asks do you know why I pulled you over, your response should be how can I help you today officer. Takes the whole process they want an goofs it )

( remember it like being pulled over and the cop asks do you know why I pulled you over, your response should be how can I help you today officer. Takes the whole process they want an goofs it )
do-u-knowe-why-I-pulled-you-over.jpg

I'll just politely tell him to mind his own business and do his job, which is to keep me healthy.;),
Its not that hard to do just be nice until it's time to not be nice....:p

I been having them ask all the typical are you depressed type questions . But one strange one was have you traveled outside the area ? I asked why do you need to know that . I received a panicked reply of you have to answer these questions

Last Edited:
I been having them ask all the typical are you depressed type questions . But one strange one was have you traveled outside the area ? I asked why do you need to know that . I received a panickd rep.y of you have to answer these questions

I get that sometimes. I believe it has to do with transmissible diseases you might pickup in other areas or during air travel. I used to get something similar when I was donating blood. I think I got that question when I was initially in an immediate care clinic - maybe when I went to the ER too - I don't remember because it seems reasonable. The one that caught my attention was whether I felt safe at home - I should have answered "no, the zombies keep trying to get into the house". :D

They ask my wife every single time she goes in, along with a full survey to find out if she's depressed or anxious...

They don't ask me, but have asked my wife on several occasions. We had the discussion of why they are asking and what the repercussions could be if she answered to the affirmative to this question. I suggested she politely tell her doctor that it is none of his business rather than lie about it. But to each their own.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews