JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I always carry half-a-dozen blades everywhere I go. Here's a recent photo of me out for a jog.

View attachment 1290422

The annoying thing (besides trying to scratch an itch or pick my nose) is how people are always telling me how much I look like some dude called "Huge Ackman". Never heard of him.
No they are trying to tell you that you got a big butt. Its Huge AZZman!

Turn up your hearing aid!

Gonna channel my inner red foreman for this.

" Dumnazz"

Leatherman has been making knives overseas for some time now, I don't believe they have any US made knives anymore. I haven't bought from them for that very reason.

As to the diamond rod, I can't speak to that, I sharpen my knives with stones.
Looks like I need to recant, it seems I may have been confused years ago. Leatherman for in trouble in California for their made in America advertising, but that was due to their stricter requirements.

Last Edited:
I suppose I could be wrong. It's been a while since I've considered them, but at the time, they didn't have any made in the USA.
They have a factory in Portland near airport way. Pre-pandemic they used to give tours and definitely made at least some multi-tools there.

It's only my opinion, but I think this kind of knife / combo tool just isn't designed for long life. They are designed more for versatility in light duty situations. Or have value as a novelty, if you want to look at it another way. Blades snapping off while sharpening, I'm not overly surprised but would also expect bending as well. I've had a couple of Leathermans, a couple of SOG, similar rig. Another does-it-all tool, the Swiss Army knife, you can foul up a knife blade on those without too much trouble also. Torquing the blade will loosen up the head. I head to the roll-away for another tool before I will ruin a knife. I like gadgets as much as the next guy but their limitations demand respect.

For deburring plastic pipe, I like the Vastool swivel head deburring tool, costs about $7.

For carrying around a clunker knife to abuse and care nothing about, I have a Japanese copy of the US Army TL-29 and a Boy Scout Knife. The latter is pretty hammered now but still functional. For heavier duty, I have an old Arkansas Toothpick with bone handle, it's seen a lot of use over the years including cutting three tab shingles. It was given to me in 1965, and came in a US Navy grey survival knife scabbard (??)

@ OP, I expect your Leathermans are covered by their lifetime warranty.
I think I'm 20 years on my wave, although I did try to pry something with the blade once and broke the tip. I handed it in at the plant, they handed me back a new one.
Stop trying to pry the diamonds off your hone. :D
Leatherman has been making knives overseas for some time now, I don't believe they have any US made knives anymore. I haven't bought from them for that very reason.
That would be Gerber. They've been importing junk since the 90's. I did consulting work there and at heat treating companies back then. It was a long time ago, so they may have different sources now.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has 2-3 knives on me on a daily basis. Haha
Yeah. Some places are sticklers about "no weapons", and the guards at Micron raised eyebrows when I checked two folders and my wave with them.

I always thought that Leatherman was Made in the USA.

My husband has a couple of multi tool kits made by Leatherman and SAK.

They are older ones. NO issues. He carries a multi tool kit on his leather belt ALL of the time.

He carries one or two knives every single day unless he is in a NO KNIFE allowed building like the courthouse. ONE knife for sure - always! He has done that all of his life since he was a kid.

He uses a KNIFE as a knife.

I never owned or bought a multi tool kit for myself. I use a fixed blade KNIFE as a knife. I use other tools for their intended purposes. I no longer use a folding or pocket knife due to my hand issues too.

My husband did give me ONE of his multi tool kits and I gave it back to him.

I ALWAYS have ONE knife on me when I go out and even while I am in my own yard. Sometimes, I have more knives on me depending on where I am going and especially when I travel with my husband. He has EXTRA knives and emergency gear year round in the truck or car too.

Both of us have some knives in various rooms in this small house that I built. BOTH of us have a knife on each side of our bed too.

My late Dad, my older brother, almost all of my male friends, my late husband and even my late Mom carried a knife of some type ON their bodies or in a purse and/or medical bag.

My older brother (In his early 80's.) worked for the Feds after his Army time and he carried a pocket - folding knife but when they got really picky about THAT - he kept it in his car.

Old Lady Cate

My husband just said that your Leatherman is supposed to have an unconditional lifetime warranty.

He has never had any issues with his as I already said above but he told me that you should send it in to them to be FIXED. Call them first and send it in - whatever their procedure is.

Best wishes to you!

Cate

I have been using and abusing this Leatherman sideclip ( rarely use the blade)
For that I have the little 5.11 bladetech Mike
(But hasn't failed either)

6378605B-7209-44C3-A2DD-EF5C3969B7B6.jpeg

Leatherman tools are good for the pliers. That's about it. Their blades are a joke. And yes, I own 3 of them including a ST300. Just for the pliers and the cutters in the 300.

Leatherman tools are good for the pliers. That's about it. Their blades are a joke. And yes, I own 3 of them including a ST300. Just for the pliers and the cutters in the 300.
Given the number of posts that echo your's, it must be that I mistakenly assumed that all of the bits and bobs on a multi-tool should be serviceably functional. If I had known that going in, I wouldn't have dropped the cash on what essentially amounts to nothing more that a set of $160 EDC pliers...live and learn I suppose. :s0092: ;)

Given the number of posts that echo your's, it must be that I mistakenly assumed that all of the bits and bobs on a multi-tool should be serviceably functional. If I had known that going in, I wouldn't have dropped the cash on what essentially amounts to nothing more that a set of $160 EDC pliers...live and learn I suppose. :s0092: ;)
I always took the concept as " better than nothing, all in one place ". Everything offered by a mult tool is better than not having any tools at all. It's rare that I reach for my SOG pliers, but when I do I'm glad to have them.

My own Leatherman experience for light to moderate tasks has been totally satisfying. While I have 6 different models, 4 were surprise gifts. 2 I rarely use, but use the rest regularly.

I have a Leatherman Wave that I've carried on my belt and used daily for 22 years. It has been replaced twice (under warranty) during that time.

I don't really have anything to compare it with, so I don't know if it's the best tool or not, but it works well for me. I have noticed that the blades don't hold an edge very well, but I also carry a small Old Timer in my pocket that I use most of the time when I need a knife.

The individual tools may not be the best, but at one time or another I use every one of them. For the most part it's been a good tool, can't complain.

Leatherman tools are OK when used within reason.

I carry a Wave daily and use it often throughout the day, with a variety of the options.

Last year I broke my Wave (bent actually, and I admit it was because of abuse) however Leatherman replaced it with no questions asked.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews