JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
kiFArjKYQuMg3TWTq3nzvAo8MNvaSMTYOMtICdtw=w616-h656.jpg k%2Fimages%2Fproducts%2Fzoom%2F1297385150-53792700.jpg

vs

No experience with the leatherman shown but I have the tsa approved mini leather man skeletool (can't remember the name). In short: pliers great, tweezers great, tiny size great, nail file useless for me, scissors completely worthless they fail almost immediately. My first one I brought in and they replaced and second one lasted maybe a couple days. I like my tiny Swiss Army knives especially the one with cigar cutter! ;) I have always found the Swiss army scissors to be reliable as long as you don't way over do it. Leatherman wobbles even when cutting a single piece of paper, the 2 I had are worthless (scissor portion I mean).

Full size leatherman is gold. Mini size I would go with Swiss Army knife. For me either skeletool I clip to my jeans belt loop so the only time I ever use mini one is when flying (I never check any bags when flying and the mini one is allowed in carry on).

Btw FYI u can replace small nail file with small blade from squirt or similar if desired but that makes it not tsa friendly anymore.

BD474E7C-3883-4224-92DB-04D97C943C9E.jpeg
BABFB319-11EC-402B-A9E1-EB295B432058.jpeg
514879CF-37D6-41F4-891D-EB9E36C2378E.png
165206A0-2D0C-4EF3-A51A-0FFC689E8F2C.png

Last Edited:
Leatherman have always been my goto for a all around multi tool, and when Tim Leatherman handed me one of the AR prototype tools and told me to keep it and enjoy, That made me a bigger fan then ever!

I have had a couple of the Victronix knives over the years, usually finding they were too much of too little, or too bulky to be useful for what little they actually could do, so No, not a fan, I'll stick with my OG Boy Scouts pocket knife, it's still one of the best designs ever, and it's still the most handy pocket folder knife I have!

I was a custom knifemaker for 14 years full time. A voting member of the Guild. For over 35 years I have carried a Victoriox Explorer knife. The first bought used for $3.00 when lost replaced 20 years ago with a new one, one of the last ones with a true glass magnifying lens. I have replaced the scales once from eBay at this time also upgraded it to include the ball point pen & the straight pin. I have also added the tiny eyeglass screwdriver. Very handy.

I use the screwdrivers, the magnifying lens, small blade quite often. And the toothpick multiple times a day.

I've cut as stiff of material as zip ties and .010" brass with the scissors. I have used the large screwdriver as a prybar paint can opener and all manner of screws. The Phillips blade is outstanding.

The knife is as solid as the day I bought it.

I carried an Explorer SAK in belt holder for around 15 years. Very useful, now semi retired as a truck resident. Initially uninterested in early Leatherman designs. Then handled their big one, the Surge. Very handy about the estate but bulky with the extra bits & ratchet. Still, it's done a surprising range of projects.

Then a buddy gave me some of his spares. Then the Squirt came along. It's a glorious hobby.

I still can't buy a Leatherman tool after hearing how much money Tim Leatherman personally gives to antigun agendas. I'd rather make do with a butter knife than put any money in his pockets.
Fortunately there are others like Gerber, DeWalt, etc. that also make nice multi-tools, and I'll spend my money with a company that's not using it against me.

I still can't buy a Leatherman tool after hearing how much money Tim Leatherman personally gives to antigun agendas. I'd rather make do with a butter knife than put any money in his pockets.
Fortunately there are others like Gerber, DeWalt, etc. that also make nice multi-tools, and I'll spend my money with a company that's not using it against me.
This is the first I've heard of Time Leatherman being anti-gun! I just did a quick Google search and all that is coming up is that he took a lot of flak for voting for John Kerry in 2004.

Are there additional instances aside from this??

Benchmade for sure had some anti-gun issues and donated to anti-gun candidates. I won't rehash it out here, it's all online, but it was enough that I won't support them.

BTW -I have 3 or 4 Swiss Army knives, Like Mark upthread, they still get used. The toenail clippers (they call them scissors) need to be used tonight. They outperform Leatherman's toenail clippers.

Benchmade for sure had some anti-gun issues and donated to anti-gun candidates. I won't rehash it out here, it's all online, but it was enough that I won't support them.

BTW -I have 3 or 4 Swiss Army knives, Like Mark upthread, they still get used. The toenail clippers (they call them scissors) need to be used tonight. They outperform Leatherman's toenail clippers.
I remember the giant hoopla about when benchmade helped the police destroy guns a few years back. That rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way.

This is the first I've heard of Time Leatherman being anti-gun! I just did a quick Google search and all that is coming up is that he took a lot of flak for voting for John Kerry in 2004.

Are there additional instances aside from this??
Not sure why anyone can't find the records of Tim Leatherman's contributions to antigun agendas. It got such huge press back when it was revealed that the board of directors released a statement saying the employees of Leatherman Tools did not agree with his stance, but his donations were personal, and not those of the company.
But he still owns the company, and those dollars he personally contributed to antigun causes and liberal candidates were profits from HIS company.
Yes, he did put his name on a list with others who said they supported John Kerry and his agenda. But his donations to others are public record, and easy to find. His company policies are also good examples of his antigun stance. Company policy states employees can not have firearms in their personal vehicles while at work, even if those vehicles are NOT parked on company property! I have no idea how they think they have the right to control what employees have in their car parked off the property? But it certainly speaks of his stance on guns.
I have a friend who works there, and there's no doubt where Tim Leatherman leans.
Here's a fun article too!:

Time has caused many to forgive or forget, and the company he owns is happy for that. But I'm sticking with other brands of multitools for my own use. I have options and choose to take them.

Not sure why anyone can't find the records of Tim Leatherman's contributions to antigun agendas. It got such huge press back when it was revealed that the board of directors released a statement saying the employees of Leatherman Tools did not agree with his stance, but his donations were personal, and not those of the company.
But he still owns the company, and those dollars he personally contributed to antigun causes and liberal candidates were profits from HIS company.
Yes, he did put his name on a list with others who said they supported John Kerry and his agenda. But his donations to others are public record, and easy to find. His company policies are also good examples of his antigun stance. Company policy states employees can not have firearms in their personal vehicles while at work, even if those vehicles are NOT parked on company property! I have no idea how they think they have the right to control what employees have in their car parked off the property? But it certainly speaks of his stance on guns.
I have a friend who works there, and there's no doubt where Tim Leatherman leans.
Here's a fun article too!:

Time has caused many to forgive or forget, and the company he owns is happy for that. But I'm sticking with other brands of multitools for my own use. I have options and choose to take them.
I am pretty good at using Google to find reputable sources; that being said, if nothing pops up on Google Page 1, then I wouldn't consider it easily accessible.

I've tried various different searches and all that comes up is that endorsement of John Kerry, which was part of a broader environmental action group.

Now, I'm not justifying his support of John Kerry at all, nor do I disagree with the principle of your boycott. I do my best to boycott many companies, especially those that are actively and demonstrably anti-2A. However, I also have accepted that in a mass consumer society (such is the beauty of Capitalism), there is no way I can 100% avoid making purchases that end up putting dollars in the hands of a 2A enemy.

In this case, Leatherman creates what I consider to be an unrivaled product at very fair prices for the average consumer. Furthermore, the company is "homegrown" and a stable source of jobs for many conservative, pro-2A families in Oregon. The company has also created tools specifically for law enforcement and military personnel, as well as a multi tool literally designed to service AR-15s.

Again though, I have no real disagreement with your choice and the stance you are taking. We all have our line in the sand, and I think everybody should hold their own, whatever that limit may be!

To keep things on topic here, has anyone else here watched Felix Immler on YouTube? He is a Swiss guy who has a whole series on different uses, hacks, and project ideas that can be done start to finish with a Swiss Army Knife. It is pretty impressive how handy they can be, and they are far more durable than I expected!

Heck, I wore Levi jeans from the time I was a kid until mid 30's when somebody told me how antigun they were! I went out and bought a bunch of new jeans and took all my Levis to a place that bought used Levis and sold them all.
I'm pretty stuck on not supporting any company that has ties to anything that threatens my pro gun stance. Even if I used to love the product. I just can't justify it because they make a great product.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top