JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll believe it when I see it but here it is.

Bombshell: DOJ Considering Elimination of ATF - Katie Pavlich - Townhall Conservative

Multiple sources, including sources from ATF, DOJ and Congressional offices have said there is a white paper circulating within the Department of Justice, outlining the essential elimination of ATF. According to sources, the paper outlines the firing of at least 450 ATF agents in an effort to conduct damage control as Operation Fast and Furious gets uglier and as election day 2012 gets closer. ATF agents wouldn’t be reassigned to other positions, just simply let go. Current duties of ATF, including the enforcement of explosives and gun laws, would be transferred to other agencies, possibly the FBI and the DEA. According to a congressional source, there have been rumblings about the elimination of ATF for quite sometime, but the move would require major political capital to actually happen.

“It’s a serious white paper being circulated, how far they’d get with it I don’t know,” a confidential source said.

Last week, ATF offered 400 agents buy outs to avoid budget cuts and is expecting 250-275 agents to take the offer through Voluntary Early Retirement. These buyouts come at a convenient time for the Justice Department, which can eliminate ATF, then say it’s because of budget cuts, when really, it’s to cover their tracks.

That's great! Now if we can clean up the DOJ, streamline the EPA, and DOE, ect. ect...who knows, this country may still have a chance at survival.

I agree Jamie6.5, They will just change the name to something else. They may "let go" some of the bad crop of agents they have, but it will be the same old agency with a new name.

Any name suggestions? Booze, Butts and Guns-sound good?

Will they be the "bad crop?"

Or will they just be the ones that Andrew Traver doesn't like,...

I'll bet Andrew Traver will be the decider of who stays and who goes.
More anti-gun Chicago politics is on the way!

Doesn't ATF belong to the Dept of Revenue? Hmm...

I think it's just the Federal budget thing of offering early retirement for people to trim the budget. Happens in every dept this time every year.

I would think that another alphabet soup agency would pick up those who were fired and the saga would continue.
Only the government would try to say how they erased the agency to save the tax payers money, etc.
Sound familiar?

I'll believe it when I see it. But even if it does happen just disbanding the ATF will only mean the same laws will be enforced by a different agency. Same dog, different leash.

Rumor...the feds need their Jack Booted thugs to enforce their dirty work on controlling guns. And even if they did disband the ATF, you don't think there will be some new faction from the Department of Homeland Security to go after us "right-wing extremist, gun-totting domestic terrorists"? I truly believe that in the next coming years, anyone associated with the militia, is critical of the government, is a "Tea Party" member, or has XXX firearms will be targetted in the name of "safety and security". Everything the feds have done thus far is to set it up to this moment.

*Patriot Act renewal
*Operation "Fast and Furious"
*HR 5122
*Southern States having to report two or more "Assault Rifle" purchases

I can go on and on...if you think that for a second that if the ATF is disbanded that us gun-nuts can relax you are sadly mistaken. Instead of labeling us as potential murderers, they'll call us "terrorists". We'll be the new communists; a scapegoat to blame the worlds problems on.

Doesn't ATF belong to the Dept of Revenue? Hmm...
Used to.
Dept of the Treasury actually, Bureau of Internal Revenue. (revenooers, fer all you 'lightnin' makers/still operators)
But then they got brought over to the DOJ.
Ever since shortly after 9/11, when GWB signed the Homeland Security Act.

It is in part so that Holder has more direct control over firearms and ammo so he can register them and deny law abiding citizens access to them.

While I think there needs to be repercussions for the failings they have had lately, I don't think things would get any better for those who legally go through all the channels and have to actually deal with the ATF or own firearms. I have no doubt that they would make a time where ammo and firearms would be unavailable. This would be a perfect thing for the far left to just make a blanket decision and whoof all our rights go out the window. I served my country long enough to understand that they will take any right away from anyone when they can.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews