JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
'It's not going away': Vets still seeing cases of dog heart problems linked to grain-free food

Thank you very much for posting this! I've been feeding my Heeler and my mixed mutt rescue dog Taste of the Wild, grain free.
Switching immediately. You might have saved their lives and I am most grateful.
Scott
Semper Fi

Do wild dogs eat grain, peas, or anything else listed in the wild?
Actually they do...wild dogs, when they've been unable to kill sufficient game will forage on almost anything...they are actually fond of corn as well as a variety of fruits and other flora, they even graze on grass. But...it isn't processed and is only a small part of a varied diet...just like our ancestors.

Last Edited:
Interesting....Our dog died from heart problems at 14 and she was very picky about what she would, or wouldn't eat.

The cat was an, "Eatesanythingus". and he out lived the dog, (16 years.)

Thank you very much for posting this! I've been feeding my Heeler and my mixed mutt rescue dog Taste of the Wild, grain free.
Switching immediately. You might have saved their lives and I am most grateful.
Scott
Semper Fi

Taste of the Wild has had a history of problems... I had thought they got it fixed but maybe not?

So how or why exactly is 'grain' supposed to be bad for dogs resulting in it's elimination from the food?
Do wild dogs eat grain, peas, or anything else listed in the wild?

Dogs need carbs in their diet just like all mammals... in the wild they get their grain and veggies from the gut sack of animals they kill (or scavenge)... they will always eat the guts and soft bits, heart/liver/etc, it's good for them.

But processed grains can be too much, too dry, unbalanced etc. IIRC one of the makers had a problem with a low moisture content in their dry food, resulting in a higher protein level and an unbalance that was killing canines.

The absolute BEST diet for your pooch is one that you cook yourself. But very few people have the time or will take the time to do that.

Last Edited:
This a real deal....
Other half is a vet technician and we changed it at 1st wind of the discovery.

These 2 get the best of care!
LOL 20191201_171310.jpg

Our dog has issues eating taste of the wild. Got super constipated! We switched him to first mate "grain friendly" and he is pretty healthy. Always the fastest dog at the dog park and scarfs it down every day. It is rich food, so he only get 1.1 cups a day.

20191103_123535.jpg

We feed Purina pro plan. I just let my wife handle the pet stuff as she is a veterinarian. She is also against raw feeding but that is a whole other can o worms.

We feed with Blue Diamond lamb and rice, considdering our Golden Retriever just turned 20 years old and is still active, i would say the food works! Both Neufys also eat the same, but we have to watch them for weight issues, eapecially the Pup as he is still growing!

Grain free is not whats causing heart disease, its the legumes they added to replace the grains in the food were causing a nutrient depletion thats essential for dog heart growth. People jump on diets for their dogs the same as they do their own diet fads, so they started marketing "grain free" as if that was bad.

Problem with all those grains and legums is they are just fillers to take up space in the kibble to fill up the bag. Unfortunately we feed our dogs based on convenience but people should google how and what commercial dog food is made of and the regulations governing it. Overly processed foods are terrible for people, and worse for dogs. Best is to learn how to make your own dog food from the grocery store.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top