JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Word has it that the blog as we've known it is dying. I used to blog 10 years ago, but I got tired of it and shut it down. I did enjoy writing, but it got to feel like I was a prisoner to it because you can't stop. Plus there were trolls...

There are four blogs that I still read because they are well written and in long-form format. I love those long, long well-informed articles about stuff that interests me. Anyone else still read blogs?

I also enjoy factual, well written, informative articles, and well stated opinions. Unfortunately, there are too many in the world of amateur writing that are just looking to see their name on something. Bla bla blah, just blowhards. Then there are the trolls and the hateful comments. I gave up on it pretty quickly.

PS: It became annoying when I would email a long-winded opinion to my brother and he would send back: "Nice blog". Terminology and flavor of the day sayings all bug me. Sigh.

Does anyone email anymore? Seems to be all communication is less than 160 characters now.

I don't do "trendy".

I also enjoy factual, well written, informative articles, and well stated opinions. Unfortunately, there are too many in the world of amateur writing that are just looking to see their name on something. Bla bla blah, just blowhards. Then there are the trolls and the hateful comments. I gave up on it pretty quickly.

I hear you. Wheat and chaff. I like the ones with no filler.
The ones that take a couple of weeks or more to come up with something good. 1000+ words is fine by me if no one is blowing hard.

PS: It became annoying when I would email a long-winded opinion to my brother and he would send back: "Nice blog". Terminology and flavor of the day sayings all bug me. Sigh.

Does anyone email anymore? Seems to be all communication is less than 160 characters now.

I don't do "trendy".
I very rarely visit blogs but I do still email. I have never done text and tell coworkers if you need me call, if I don't answer leave a message.

Occasionally a google search will land me on a blog entry that is actually worth reading. I've got a few bookmarked too, but, to be honest, I haven't read them in a long time. So, as a general rule, no. And the impression that blogs are dying appears to be essentially accurate.

Lately I've been itching to find an outlet to unleash some writing on the unsuspecting, and I was toying with the idea of starting one up again. Blogs seem to have decayed since their heyday, though, so I'm thinking of other options. Email newsletters like TinyLetter seem to be gaining a bit, but that may just be a blip-fad. Oh well, if it comes to it I guess I could always post articles to my favorite forums. ;)

Lately I've been itching to find an outlet to unleash some writing on the unsuspecting, and I was toying with the idea of starting one up again. Blogs seem to have decayed since their heyday, though, so I'm thinking of other options. Email newsletters like TinyLetter seem to be gaining a bit, but that may just be a blip-fad. Oh well, if it comes to it I guess I could always post articles to my favorite forums. ;)

We should start a new Forum Room entitled "Much Ado About Nothing".

I've been blogging since the early aughts. It began as a way to communicate with my mother who had just bought a computer. Now that she's gone I mainly write for spambots and the occasional bored NSA employee.

Blogs are not as dominant as they once were, having been overtaken by social media and texting. Long attention spans and a willingness to search for something interesting don't seem to be part of the current mindset.

No matter what anyone says, blogging was never a big money-maker or prestige enhancer. Next time you're at a bar, try to impress someone with "Yeah, I'm a blogger. No big deal." And near as I can tell, the only people making money from blogging are those who blog about "How to Make Money Blogging."

I visit several blogs every day, and I enjoy irregularly writing on my blog because it's my site. I control it. Nobody can censor it. It's an indulgence in self-expression, and if anybody reads it I'm both shocked and delighted, but in the end I do it for my own satisfaction, and as proof to the world that I exist. So far, the world hasn't much cared.

I'm going to be like my old parents, never had a DVD. Music supplied by vinyl. No remotes. Only for me, it will be blogs and forums. I visit Western Rifle Shooters every day.

Used to blog myself - had several, mostly doing with cooking and baking, and I did it as a way to challenge myself to learn more and to improve my skills - even had a few followers too. I kept it up for a while, but between making the food, shooting decent photos, writing, editing and keeping up with responses, it took way too much time. I had one too where I focused on religious discussion, but again, it just took way too much time.

As for reading them, not much any more. When I go looking for new ideas for cooking/baking, there are still some great, well-known blogs still out there that are very informative, if not heavily populated with ads now o_O But yeah, I've kind of noticed that the 'blog' may be on it's way out - I don't know if it will die entirely, but I would think of the 2000's as the decade of the blog, and it appears it has run it's course.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top