JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We have a large pit on our property that we have been target shooting in. It has a natural berm so that it impedes the travel of bullets. We had a neighbor complain, (he complains about everything we do and tries to make our lives miserable.) The sheriff came out and said that we could not shoot due to WAC 332-52-145 (3) Where is target shooting permitted?
(c) Persons shall not shoot on, at, across, along, down, from, or within five hundred feet, of:
(i) Recreational facilities that are not specifically designed for target shooting;
(ii) Residences;
(iii) Businesses;
(iv) Structures;
(v) Other areas as restricted;
(vi) Areas designated or posted as no shooting.
We were looking over the WAC as suggested by the officer and it says.
(1) What is recreational target shooting? Recreational target shooting is the use of a firearm or bow and arrow on targets and the sighting in of rifles or other firearms on department-managed lands. The department regulates and enforces target shooting on department-managed lands.
We live outside of city limits so, does the WAC apply? I called previously and asked the sheriffs department if we could shoot in our pit and that officer said yes. Just looking for some clarification as we try to work with the sheriffs department to get this resolved.

Have you searched for any County rules? Because the WAC rules are meant for public lands managed by the state that.

Private lands in the county should not be under the public law. Such as, you can shoot trash, glass and what ever you want on private land (as long as you do so in a safe manner).

I think you're on the right track by separating public land rules and private land.

Have you searched for any County rules? Because the WAC rules are meant for public lands managed by the state that.

Private lands in the county should not be under the public law. Such as, you can shoot trash, glass and what ever you want on private land (as long as you do so in a safe manner).

I think you're on the right track by separating public land rules and private land.
Thanks, I've been looking all over the place and nothing for Chelan County comes up, several other counties have but nothing for Chelan :(

I would walk into the sheriffs office and talk to them face to face. Have them show you and explain it to you.
They came out to our house, but we hadn't had a chance to review the WAC or we would have mentioned it at the time. They don't seem all that sure and the gal said she went over it with her supervisor prior to coming out...it seems they didn't really research it and were going off what the neighbor said in his complaint. I would like them to come out to our property again, see our set up and go from there. We are emailing the officer today asking about County restrictions as the WAC they cited doesn't seem to be applicable to private property.

Grew up outside of Wenatchhee in a small town Monitor. Shot guns day and night
never an issue.:D But we had a big hillside behind the family farm. Sounds like a Seattle
transplant scared of guns. The valley sure has changed. All the orchards torn out for
housing.:oops:

The Sheriff needs to visit the neighbor and set them straight! If there are no restrictions in County rules it should be perfectly fine to shoot on your own property.

Grew up outside of Wenatchhee in a small town Monitor. Shot guns day and night
never an issue.:D But we had a big hillside behind the family farm. Sounds like a Seattle
transplant scared of guns. The valley sure has changed. All the orchards torn out for
housing.:oops:
Spoakne but may as well be Seattle lol

The Sheriff needs to visit the neighbor and set them straight! If there are no restrictions in County rules it should be perfectly fine to shoot on your own property.
I agree, his house is probably within 200 ft of our pit, but it is up on top and in no danger of ricochet.

If you review the introduction, WAC 352-52-001, it states:
Introduction.
The department of natural resources recognizes recreation on department-managed lands as an important component of the quality of life in Washington state. The department must balance the public interest in recreation with its trust and other land management obligations consistent with its habitat conservation plans and the multiple use statutes. Good stewardship of department-managed land, water and natural resources is essential for the benefit of future generations.

I am not an attorney, but believe the quoted statutes the OP listed apply only to state owned/managed lands. Unless there are specific county statutes restricting shooting areas on private property, or deed restrictions or restrictive covenants recorded encumbering the land (to be enforced by court action by neighbors as a civil matter), you should be able to shoot as much as you want, unless the local law enforcement believes your shooting is a threat to public safety or your neighbor claims you are doing it to threaten or intimidate him/her.
Sounds to me like your neighbor needs to move. Or better yet, invite them down to try shooting with you. Show them how safe and responsible your set up is and how it can be a fun social event!

On further review, I did find chapters 7.66 and 7.68 of the Chelan County Code that call for restrictions on the discharge of firearms. I guess you need to check if your property is located within the restricted areas. 7.68 refers to a no shooting area in "Camas Meadows" . Hope that isn't where you live. I wasn't able to link to the specific ordinances, but this should get you in the ballpark.

Chelan County Code
Click on Title 7, Public Safety and Morals.

On further review, I did find chapters 7.66 and 7.68 of the Chelan County Code that call for restrictions on the discharge of firearms. I guess you need to check if your property is located within the restricted areas. 7.68 refers to a no shooting area in "Camas Meadows" . Hope that isn't where you live. I wasn't able to link to the specific ordinances, but this should get you in the ballpark.

Chelan County Code
Click on Title 7, Public Safety and Morals.
This is great thank you, thankfully we are no where near there! But thanks to your link I did find this...i am pretty sure we are outside of the below description.
7.66.030 Discharge of firearms prohibited. sm-share-en.gif
No person shall discharge any firearm in the area between the county's boundary line at the midline of the Columbia River to the eastern boundary of the city of Wenatchee, and from the Odabashian Bridge (US 2/97) on the north to the George Sellar Bridge (SR 285) on the south. (Res. 2017-67 (part), 7/25/17).

Last Edited:
This is great thank you, thankfully we are no where near there! But thanks to your link I did find this...i am pretty sure we are outside of the below description.
7.66.030 Discharge of firearms prohibited.View attachment 451668
No person shall discharge any firearm in the area between the county's boundary line at the midline of the Columbia River to the eastern boundary of the city of Wenatchee, and from the Odabashian Bridge (US 2/97) on the north to the George Sellar Bridge (SR 285) on the south. (Res. 2017-67 (part), 7/25/17).

Regulations of executive branch agencies are issued by authority of statutes. Like legislation and the Constitution, regulations are a source of primary law in Washington State. The WAC codifies the regulations and arranges them by subject or agency.

The county ordinance previously cited here is issued only pursuant to to RCW 9.41.300 .

Note subsection 2 of said RCW states.
(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:
(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and
(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:
(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or
(ii) Any showing, demonstration, or lecture involving the exhibition of firearms.

In addition to the aforementioned county code, take a look at the code publishing website for Chelan county and do a quick search for "firearms" and "shooting". There is a bit more information that may be relevant to your situation.

~Whitney

Regulations of executive branch agencies are issued by authority of statutes. Like legislation and the Constitution, regulations are a source of primary law in Washington State. The WAC codifies the regulations and arranges them by subject or agency.

The county ordinance previously cited here is issued only pursuant to to RCW 9.41.300 .

Note subsection 2 of said RCW states.
(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:
(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and
(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:
(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or
(ii) Any showing, demonstration, or lecture involving the exhibition of firearms.

In addition to the aforementioned county code, take a look at the code publishing website for Chelan county and do a quick search for "firearms" and "shooting". There is a bit more information that may be relevant to your situation.

~Whitney
Gotta love the help we get on this forum!
I am not seeing anything in the RCW or the Chelan County Coding that prohibits us from shooting on our property...guess the next step is to visit the Sherriff's office with these documents in hand and ask them to explain why we cannot shoot in our pit lol.

I've shot up at Fancher Heights for years starting in the mid 70's. With all the houses now I'm a little more careful and shoot at the NCW gun club. Back in the day after school my buddy and I would shoot quail in the orchards off SE 8th st which was a few blocks from my house. Hmmm...we also left our guns in our cars in the school parking lot. That was before firearms got a mind of their own and started doing mass shootings.

I've shot up at Fancher Heights for years starting in the mid 70's. With all the houses now I'm a little more careful and shoot at the NCW gun club. Back in the day after school my buddy and I would shoot quail in the orchards off SE 8th st which was a few blocks from my house. Hmmm...we also left our guns in our cars in the school parking lot. That was before firearms got a mind of their own and started doing mass shootings.
We have the perfect and safe place to shoot and I really don't want to pay a fee to join a gun club when I can shoot on my own property for free lol.

Oh, sorry. I wasn't suggesting to join the club. I was unfortunately reminiscing and fogging your thread. I agree, I would much rather shoot on my own property and not have to deal with some of the numb skulls at the gun club!! (or pay the fee).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top