JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had just pulled into a spot I'd been shooting at for years when a Deputy stopped and started questioning me. Was only there for 2 minutes and had not even opened anything up. This was
Weyerhaeuser Co. land and anyone shooting on it would get a fine and confiscation of all firearms. Got off with a warning as I had not shot yet. There was a fellow shooting up the road from me, the Deputy said that guy was next and he would not be happy with the visit he was about to get. Be careful out there and double check the area you are at. Takes the fun out of going shooting. He did say enforcement was going up because of all the garbage being left.

I thought I found a good place today for distance.

turns out up to the red line is state forest and the blue line goes into Weyerhaeuser land. No roads into the area. Not sure how you would know

20160402_111004.jpg

Sure hope Weyerhaeuser is paying for the upscale enforcement, with all their new found wealth from access fees and the like,,,

Would hate to see us taxpayers giving them a $$$$ break on that as well,,, :rolleyes:

Everywhere I've been that accesses Whorehauser via road has been marked with big yellow gates and clearly stated rules of specific entry at the boundry. If the signs are not there, some douche likely hooked a chain to them and pulled them from the ground, or took them off nearby trees. Huh, what signs? o_O:rolleyes:

I also heard rumor that if your caught on Whorehauser lands on an ATV, they can legally confiscate it/them.

I thought I found a good place today for distance.

turns out up to the red line is state forest and the blue line goes into Weyerhaeuser land. No roads into the area. Not sure how you would know

View attachment 286129
I guess a person has to go scout areas, then go back and google maps and look at property lines and so on - if that is possible.

About 40 years ago, back when the Rickreall watershed was open to shooters, dirt bike riders and people cutting wood, I had a permit to cut dead wood on (I think) Pope & Talbot private land. There was a windfall and we had gone about 100 yards past a semi-hidden sign we missed onto BLM land, and we were cutting up a fallen tree for firewood when a huge Terex came down the road and the operator got out and told us we were on BLM land.

We scooted out of there, but the FBI caught up with us about a month later. We told them we made a mistake. They took our statements and left. They were more interested in some people down the road that were cutting down live trees for firewood.

Several years later, the FBI came back and wanted to fine us $10K damages :eek: - triple damages for some reason (we had cut up about 1k BF). The guy I was doing the cutting with had a high powered attorney for a cousin who had connections in Salem, and he bargained them down to $600 which we paid. *phew*

I think the FBI couldn't find the other guys who were cutting live trees, so they were under pressure to show some kind of results for the case and close it out, so they came after us. :rolleyes:

So yeah, it pays to know whether you are on private or public land, either way.

Ditchtiger, similar thing happened to me a couple years ago, in Yamhill county. We pulled up to a shooting area that had clearly been used for many decades and were getting ready to shoot. Up rolls a Weyerhaeuser security guy in a big huff.

We were as polite as could be, apologizing for our mistake if we were somewhere we weren't supposed to be. He would have none of it, total jerk. He boxed us in with his truck and said there was a state trooper coming to talk to us, and if we tried to leave he would hunt us down and arrest us.

I knew that was bs because we hadn't done anything wrong, hadn't even shot yet, but to be polite we waited. The officer was not friendly but at least he was professional and we left on good terms.

They accomplished their goal of putting the scare into us. I wouldn't go anywhere near Weyerhaeuser land on a dare. I joined a nearby gun club with a nice range. It's closer, safer, nicer, and a lot more convenient. It only $100 per year and I'm sure I've picked up that much empty brass that other people leave!

Weyerhaeuser is not the sportsman's friend. Not only do they charge for entry, they are cutting the hell out of what was Longview Fibre land so much that even when they replant it won't likely hold wildlife. But, they also will enforce any property laws they can.
Their gates are well marked, but unlike the occasional USFS Boundary marker, they have none. Better know where their boundary is.

Ya might tell where the off limits shooting place is, just to keep other's out of a predicament.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top