JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not only watch where you shoot, but check the rules for the area you're shooting in. Most Nat Forest land is open for shooting, however, some areas of the forest are closed for one reason or another. Places like near campgrounds, trails, roadways and water areas may not say closed but are included in the rules as no shooting areas.

We don't want anything like this to happen!

Man killed by errant bullet in Pike National Forest highlights growing problem

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2...al-forest-shooting-highlights-growing-problem

That's not good at all. They say 150 yrds from camps but common sense might tell you further.

It is unlawful to discharge a firearm, air rifle, or gas gun or other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows:
  1. In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area,
  2. Across or on roads or bodies of water, or where people or property are exposed to injury or damage,
  3. Into a cave.

That's not good at all. They say 150 yrds from camps but common sense might tell you further.

It is unlawful to discharge a firearm, air rifle, or gas gun or other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows:
  1. In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area,
  2. Across or on roads or bodies of water, or where people or property are exposed to injury or damage,
  3. Into a cave.
Ya. Where did they come up with only 150 yards? Not much common sense used when they made that rule!

This brings up a strong point about why our NWFA Target Shooter Information Program is such an important program to do. Communicate to shooters. It seems the biggest problem in the forest is that people don't realize what they could potentially do. Once they aware of rules, know where to shoot, what to shoot at and what cautions to look for, most will adhere.

You'd be amazed at the folks we meet who don't know anything about shooting in the forest and are surprised when they hear of these rules and cautions. They are quite grateful for the information. People just don't plan ahead enough to look up the area, learn what to do and think about what not to do. That's where we end up with trouble that leads to more closures.

It's a never ending battle. But at least we're trying. We could use some help and would be glad to have you on board!

<broken link removed>
This one tells about USFS education and compliance efforts, as well as unlawful and dangerous practices beyond the tragic incident.
The cooperative USFS and NWFA Target Shooters Information Program fits the USFS mission about education and compliance - and is already underway in partnership with local LEO's and merchants.
We need YOU too.:D

There's too many bozo's in this world that negatively impact us unfortunately.
All we can do is try our best to educate.
I was hiking the Clackamas River trail a couple weeks ago with the family. An idiot decided it was a good idea to shoot across the river(from the highway side) at cable marking signs, not realizing he's shooting right into a hiking trail. I blew my sons "survival" whistle to get his attention, but still decided to just end the hike and go elsewhere, a few minutes later heard him shooting again.

I, Honestly was one of those yahoos back when I was young and stupid. Go out, get drunk and shoot. I was lucky nothing bad ever happened before I grew up and learned.
Now I only shoot at the club although I do like shooting in the woods, just to many chances of something bad happening, even if your careful.

There's too many bozo's in this world that negatively impact us unfortunately.
All we can do is try our best to educate.
I was hiking the Clackamas River trail a couple weeks ago with the family. An idiot decided it was a good idea to shoot across the river(from the highway side) at cable marking signs, not realizing he's shooting right into a hiking trail. I blew my sons "survival" whistle to get his attention, but still decided to just end the hike and go elsewhere, a few minutes later heard him shooting again.

you should have videoed/photographed/reported him.

sometimes the only education they will understand is criminal prosecution.

you should have videoed/photographed/reported him.

sometimes the only education they will understand is criminal prosecution.

I did call it in, when I got back to where I could get service. There's a lot more I wanted to do, but having the kid with me, I just wanted to get him out of harms way.

3. Into a cave.

Into a cave? Seriously??

3. Into a cave.
Is this an Oregon law? Doesn't this mean you can't shoot a duck over a a body of water then, or are there exceptions for these things? That's kind of scary that you potentially couldn't even shoot an air rifle in your back yard with this law.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top