JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Life-Is-Like-A-Box-OF-Chocolate.png

Aloha, Mark

PS.....my son's mother always liked that tune.

I guess the main problem is that I can't 'see' your emoticons, so I can't read intentions or nuances that would otherwise be obvious. I really must invest in a Western-style PC......

I saw Phil Collins in concert... one of the best memories of my life.

Not so sure about that "advertising" though lol... what does it have to do with chocolate?

-Robert
1: Unexpectedness

Most people expect brands to prominently display their logo, and make what they are selling front and centre.

Cadbury's did not.

Instead they used a gorilla playing the drums to a Phil Collins [Genesis] hit song. This went on for a full 90 seconds, without a mention of chocolate. In the initial cuts of the advert, there were no product shots at all.

It was unexpected, and it was one of their most successful campaigns, winning a number of awards, including the Film Grand Prix Lion at Cannes Lions in 2008 and was credited with pushing sales up 7%. In the first week, the advert was shared half a million times on YouTube. And that was just the beginning.

2: Intrigue

The advert made people figure out who and what the advert was for themselves for 90 seconds. And they did. From a couple of significant clues.
The glass and a half productions title.
The purple colour of the backdrop.
In making the audience guess the brand as they watched, they were making people acknowledge and how iconic Cadburys brand is, and re-engage with it.

And those who did not figure it out, or see the end screen were intrigued enough to find out. They asked, and found out from others who did, and as we all know, we like nothing more than a riddle than solving it and letting people know!

3: Mass appeal

The adverts targeted both adults and children. The hook for adults is the association with the music, and their nostalgia for the period. The nostalgia of the music, brings back time and life experiences that is blurred with nostalgia for the brand and its sweet memories.

The hook for children is a 1000 pound gorilla playing a mean drum set. You could argue that this is a pretty compelling viewing for all ages. It is a visual that sticks.

If there is something worth sharing, it will something like this.

Bottom Line......
Would watching that commercial make me want to go out and buy a Cadbury's?

how_about_NO.jpg

Awards?

Really. Whatever. But then......I'm not as smart about the subtle messages. I got protection for that.
tin-foil-cat.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Bottom Line......
Would watching that commercial make me want to go out and buy a Cadbury's?

View attachment 1084097

Awards?

Really. Whatever. But then......I'm not as smart about the subtle messages. I got protection for that.
View attachment 1084098

Aloha, Mark
That bottom guy is Wally Glenn. I know him, funny enough. Good dude. Does a lot of fire work at Burning Man (no, did not meet him there.)

What's 'a Cadburys'? Here in UK, Cadburys is the oldest manufacturer of chocolate on the UK - in fact, I'm chomping on a piece right now with minty crunchy bits in it.

It's no use saying that it's the kind of English version of Hersheys, since they have an entirely different take on flavour - that's for sure. Cadbury has also been making chocolate since 1831.

Different tastes are generally predicated by what you grew up eating and maybe if I'd spent more time as a child in North America I would doubtless have a more kindly view of Hershey's products. However, I didn't, and for me, the next best thing to eating Hersheys chocolate is NOT eating Hersheys chocolate, which is probably why it is VERY hard to find here.

Note, please, that I'm not here to knock your favourite chocolate products, seeing as we have our very own version of a chocolate far more to British tastes up in Canada - Laura Secorde chocolate is much the same as Cadbury's in flavour.

I just thought that posting what to us over here is now an icon of chocolate-selling advertising that used, uniquely, a guy dressed up in an extremely well-done gorilla suit, drumming to one of THE most famous of all rock drum quasi-solos of recent musical history, might be seen as a fun thing.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR