JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe sign him up for a cheap on-line course and see how your friend handles that before you chunk down a day in a classroom. Nobody will be embarrassed and nobody will be the wiser if somebody needs a safe space mid lecture.

Gun industry should tag their firearms, you don't have to shoot people with our product. Or, don't shoot good people with this.

If the general public only knew it's possible to have a gun and not shoot people every day.
I think I know why General Electric dropped their slogan "We Bring Good Things To Life" after they started manufacturing M134's

Short answer, dont bring the friend. They just arent ready and have a very poor outlook on the entire hobby/sport despite their supposed past with loading or shooting. Zero reason to bring them along.

I agree, I get tired of the: Guns are only for killing or hunting nonsense after a while. I realize that topic does have a point.. but I shoot paper and steel these days mostly from a portable bench.. I don't hunt anymore just because its a PITA with work schedules these days.
Ironmonster, a member from a while back made a post and he had a great point.. the doom and gloom, guns are only for defensive killin schtick gets old. Really old.
Sometimes its nice to just appreciate the discipline it takes to master accuracy or to appreciate the mechanics of a firearm without there having to be a "killing" purpose/component to it all.

That being said, targets are what they are. Most people going to a range or defensive class are doing so because they are training with a conceal carry firearm and its an appropriate target for the setting in which they are indeed training. Most of the rental ranges Ive been in have other targets to purchase that are not "human form".. but seriously.. if someone gets hung up on "people like targets" they have no business at an indoor range anyway. That kind of hyper sensitivity is just too over the top. You can pretend the target is a robot, vampire, zombie it is only a "human" if they make it one.

OP......I'm curious.
So, what is/was your friend's main reason for owning a firearm(s)?

Yes.....there are many reasons why some people buy firearms, be it.....

Collecting
Investment
Recreational Target Shooting
Hunting
Defense of self/loved ones/property

And you'll note that.......sometimes you don't actually have to be "shooting at all".

So anyway.....I'm left wondering.
YEAH, Yeah, yeah......"dual usage" could also be a reason.
But, I'm left wondering. Is your friend one of those who just can't imagine or grasp the FACT that guns could/can be used to take a life maybe/perhaps someday?

Maybe.....it should be as simple as......

Dont_like_guns.jpg

Don't get me wrong......some people also buy a firearm just because THEY CAN. And mind you that, I'm NOT saying that there is anything wrong with that either.

Not_that_there_is_anything_wrong.jpg

I ask.......
Mostly because......
I was reminded of my own past (as a former Police Officer).
Yup, I met some officers whom I privately questioned their entire purpose for putting on the uniform. I was like: Why be a Police Officer, if you're so opposed to possibly maybe one day, taking a life? There are plenty of other jobs. YES, I figured that they were "unsuitable" for the job. But then, I wasn't the one doing the hiring (shakes head side to side).

Aloha, Mark

PS.....don't get me wrong. Because I don't hunt (as an activity) and got no real problem with it. Though I love target shooting. And, a solid black circle is about all I engage nowadays. Yup.....some ranges will object to some targets. Whatever.

LOL. So then.....of course speaking of which (in steel silhouette/cut outs). I'm also reminded, that even in SASS, we don't engage "Indian" targets. Though it's OK, to shoot the bad guys (cut out like "cowboys") and/or the occasional buffalo. Whatever.

Some people can/will get upset just because I/we CAN own firearms.

Last Edited:
I agree, I get tired of the: Guns are only for killing or hunting nonsense after a while.
Oh man spot on. I once knew a member of this forum (no longer a member) who during a conversation once asked me, 'What other reason in there to own a gun but for self defense?'
Sometimes its nice to just appreciate the discipline it takes to master accuracy or to appreciate the mechanics of a firearm without there having to be a "killing" purpose/component to it all.
I agree. I was into guns long before what we are seeing now and quite frankly am just little disappointed at the direction some of the interest in guns has taken over time.

She did NOT like to swim, go sailing, go on a power boat or even go fishing too. Those were things that I grew up doing from the time I was a baby in the water with my parents and older brother.
Well LOL.
You do KNOW.....what the fish do in the water.
Rrrrrright?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Aloha, Mark

I go to get some basic handgun class in a couple of weeks. The person I'm going with might have an issue with it, but not about learning handguns. If it was just me I would be ok with it. I want to do everything I can so he can have a good time. I think he kind of likes handgun but not his idea of a good time , but because I'm interested he will willing to join me. I want him to have a good time, and if I need to adjust what I do too. I think we can both have a good time and learn a lot.
Is this also the person that has tremendous fear of a pistol with a flashlight on it.?

@Grilling425 I'll be honest. Your time here has been very short. Your AR15 icebreaker was a waste of bandwidth. You are very vague and hard to engage. The virtual scent you leave behind is a musky recipe of Troll de toilette mixed with Liberal de parfum. I was one of several to provide a logical response here and you come back wanting know more about a stupid coffee table. Maybe you and your friend would be better off armed with cans of mace and a couple rape whistles. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
I think it's likely that targets may be human shaped, like this USPSA target. Furthermore, I think general self defense concepts are likely to come up, such as shooting for a Headshot or Center of Mass.

View attachment 1095613
I took a basic handgun course at Tri-County Gun Club about 4 years ago and these were the type of targets we used. They have a different person teaching the course now.

@Grilling425 I'll be honest. Your time here has been very short. Your AR15 icebreaker was a waste of bandwidth. You are very vague and hard to engage. The virtual scent you leave behind is a musky recipe of Troll de toilette mixed with Liberal de parfum. I was one of several to provide a logical response here and you come back wanting know more about a stupid coffee table. Maybe you and your friend would be better off armed with cans of mace and a rape whistles. :rolleyes:
Maybe his "friend" is really him. Cause at first he was asking what would be the best first gun. Why he should own an AR15. How weapon lights make a gun scary. He had a shotgun…. Then he was going to get one as his first gun…. But maybe a pistol. But he wants a coffee table for rifles? And his family doesn't want guns in the house… is that where he will hide them if he ever buys one? And his reasoning is always dictated by someone else and their emotions. I really think it's him.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top