JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
that's ok

i was in the industry way back when.

so far back that i got in trouble with the management at SHOT Show because our booth implied that firearms could be used against humans.

true story. it was a pre-tactical, bambi shooting world back then.

some people are touchy about such things…

:)

that's ok

i was in the industry way back when.

so far back that i got in trouble with the management at SHOT Show because our booth implied that firearms could be used against humans.

true story. it was a pre-tactical, bambi shooting world back then.

some people are touchy about such things…

:)
Gun industry should tag their firearms, you don't have to shoot people with our product. Or, don't shoot good people with this.

If the general public only knew it's possible to have a gun and not shoot people every day.

I go to get some basic handgun class in a couple of weeks. The person I'm going with might have an issue with it, but not about learning handguns. If it was just me I would be ok with it. I want to do everything I can so he can have a good time. I think he kind of likes handgun but not his idea of a good time , but because I'm interested he will willing to join me. I want him to have a good time, and if I need to adjust what I do too. I think we can both have a good time and learn a lot.
Look at the bright side. Maybe your computer will break.

OP,

I bought my former targets at my old gun store back east. I never bought them 'mail order' and I have never been in an Academy store due to their state locations years ago and even now. I used that LINK as an example to you.

I learned to shoot and mostly shot targets like the above for the first several years of my shooting. A large black figure against white paper.

They are called silhouette targets. This type of target works extremely well in many indoor ranges especially when the range has one type of lighting (Dimmer.) and your individual walled off section inside a larger room is more brightly lit.

Back east: The first year that I shot was almost all done in an indoor range, year round, attached to my former gun store. It was a family store - not my family. It was about 33 or so miles one way from my former house in the boonies to my range via a turnpike. I shot every single week and sometimes I shot twice a week.

I saved ALL of my paper targets from my indoor range and outdoor range (Sportsmen's Club.) for a long time too.

I could see my shooting skills improve every single week as a Newbie. I made notes on my targets about the gun, ammunition, distance, weather if outdoors, etc.

There were many serious shooters there. I met several policemen and some that I already knew and a highway patrol station was close to it too. Some military people shot there too. Other people shot there but most of the time it was NOT crowded and sometimes I was the only shooter there or only a couple of other people were shooting there at one time. NRA and other regular and advanced firearm classes were held there too.

The targets that I used from the gitgo work well for learning basic self defense shooting (Up close and personal and at further distances.) and they are fine at an outdoor range too.

I have used round - bullseye targets more out here in MT. I used them while shooting in Colorado and in other places as a guest too.

Right now and within the last few years, I am happy using cheaper paper plates. We buy a bulk pack of them at Walmart. Sometimes I use the colored SPLATTER sticker targets over them too. I have used pen or markers on paper targets too.

My husband has several types of targets and he uses paper plate targets too. You can use regular paper if need be - old printer paper to you name it.

When my husband runs his chronograph and is super serious about sighting in some rifle or handgun... he uses the regular targets and not just the paper plates.

I can't imagine someone being UPSET over any type or shape or color of a paper target but if they are that way about such things - maybe you should give them a paper plate and let them draw an X in the middle of the plates. Let them do it.

And if they really do NOT like or really want to shoot a gun - leave them alone and do NOT force jack squat on that person.

It is their individual choice to make!

I have an old friend who did go into a gun store with me one time but she REFUSED to hold any gun there, she did not want to hold any of my personal guns EVER and she LOOKED at the INDOOR shooting range and got upset.

I kid you not - it was like someone else took over her BRAIN, common sense and body! I was polite and I NEVER EVER put her down but INSIDE - I was thinking that she was bat s crazy the way she had such a fear of guns.

And I NEVER EVER FORCED one person (Female or male.) who did NOT want to look at or hold or shoot a gun to do that.

She claimed that she supported my RIGHT TO LEARN but she was so spooked out - it was really ODD to see. I have met some people like that but NOT that up close and personal and this is a woman that I knew WELL and she was older than me by 10 years. I had to explain the RKBA issue one time to her too. Her idea of that was not my idea or how the Founding Fathers meant it to be. My opinion.

She and her husband came out west to visit me and we took her all over. We showed her the range out here too.

She did not go to my outdoor range back east at my old Sportsmen's Club.

She did NOT like to swim, go sailing, go on a power boat or even go fishing too. Those were things that I grew up doing from the time I was a baby in the water with my parents and older brother.

She did like to camp but her idea of camping was not like my idea of camping! LOL

We remained friends and had SEVERAL other interests that we shared.

I figure to each their own!

Best wishes to you.

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:
I just reread the OP's original post.

His friend owns or shoots shotguns so his friend is used to some type of firearm.

Does the friend shoot clays or hunt?

So maybe the friend wants to learn how to shoot another type of firearm be it a handgun or a rifle.

Cate

I go to get some basic handgun class in a couple of weeks. The person I'm going with might have an issue with it, but not about learning handguns. If it was just me I would be ok with it. I want to do everything I can so he can have a good time. I think he kind of likes handgun but not his idea of a good time , but because I'm interested he will willing to join me. I want him to have a good time, and if I need to adjust what I do too. I think we can both have a good time and learn a lot.
It all depends on the instructor / class venue. If that is what they have to shoot at, yes. When I teach basic handgun classes, I have students shoot at a 9" paper plate @ 7 yards. Basic shooting is just that as far as I'm concerned. I want new students / shooters to have fun and hit a target. If they can get most if not all of the rounds on that paper plate, they are shooting just fine. Handling a firearm safely is more important than getting all the shots in the ten ring. Firearm safety is rule #1.

Regards,
Bill

Paper plates make for a good target for sure.

Regardless of whether the target is a human silhouette , paper plate , or a tin can....
Something to consider is the willingness to shoot at a actual human.
All the practice shooting for self defense is useless if you can't do that.

Also something to consider is that when shooting for real as it were....
The opposing side , never reacts like a paper target.

In any event...practice well...practice often and practice safely.
Also be sure to do all you can to avoid having to use the shooting skills that you practice.
Andy

I just reread the OP's original post.

His friend owns or shoots shotguns so his friend is used to some type of firearm.

Does the friend shoot clays or hunt?

So maybe the friend wants to learn how to shoot another type of firearm be it a handgun or a rifle.

Cate
We will never know.

No. The technology doesn't exist yet.
It's a strange question, but you could fashion a false bottom under the top of a coffee table.
The top would lift like a trunk lid or a drawer system could be built.
maxresdefault.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top