Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Do I need a custom bullet seater?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by erudne, Feb 16, 2016.

1. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

200rbbt1.jpg
    To seat this type of bullet w/o damaging it, if so where do I find one?:confused:

2. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I think most manufacturers, Hornady, RCBS that I know of, will make a custom seater plug if you send them a bullet. Not sure of cost though, Give Hornady a call maybe.

3. Otter

Otter Oregon - mid Willamette Valley Active Member

Why do you think you might need a custom seating die or plug? Is that gray tip very soft? Or is that needle tip so long it will get smashed? Have you asked Alco?

Good gawd! I just checked their website and saw the price.

Mikej and erudne like this.
  4. ageingstudent

ageingstudent NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Wow that's a space age looking projectile. Yes if the nose won't fit in a standard plug you just send the bullet to a die manufacturer that does custom work. Most of them do for a price.

5. Gonzales

Gonzales Albany, OR Member

Redding makes VLD micrometer seaters for their normal seating dies. $37 a pop at Brownells.

6. SHPD_Retired

SHPD_Retired Saint Helens Well-Known Member

I believe that RCBS will make you a special seating die for 22.50. You need to send something like 4 or 5 bullets to them. You can check with them for exact details.

7. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

thanks! My friend has a lathe so I might make one myself. Anyone damaged a ballistic tip bullet when seating them?

8. Otter

Otter Oregon - mid Willamette Valley Active Member

I've reloaded thousand of plastic tip bullets and never damaged one. The seating stem of my dies contact the copper below the plastic part. And the plastic tips in my opinion are blunt compare to picture you posted of the Alco bullets. so no chance of them poking to far into the seating stem. Those are cool looking bullets, but I have to wonder if the improved BC is worth the price.