JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Earlier this summer I became interested in reloading buckshot shotshells for my 20 gauge because they had become unobtanium. I had a lot of fun figuring that out ( Shotshell Loading Without A Press ) but then all the buckshot dried up and so I started thinking about getting a mold, but then the #1 buck molds disappeared, and so I decided to try to make a mold. A lot of this stuff is coming back in stock but that's no reason to abandon a project once started.

mold-digital.png

I wanted to use my Lee handles but in the end I couldn't get the set screw out so for this test I just used channel locks to hold the mold together while pouring. Not ideal but I'll order some bare handles. Anyway, I started with aluminum bars and cut out some channels to match the lee molds:

mold-real-1.png

Then flipped the bar over and carved the mold faces (the one on the left is after the finishing pass, the one on the right is getting a finishing pass after roughing -- I messed this set up though and had to redo farther down the bar):
mold-real-2.png

This was the end product. I decided to try carving centering pins and also inserting steel pins -- carving the pins was not great because you can see my face isn't super smooth and with the pins in the way, I can't sand the face. It also takes ages to carve away all the metal around it -- about 20 hrs on my machine. I won't do that again -- I'll use the steel insert pins:
mold-real-3.png

I also didn't have my CNC router cut the pieces out -- I used a sawzall to separate them because again, with a machine like mine that would take ages and I just wanted to see if it would work, so wasn't going for pretty. This is the end result -- you can see the side that does not have carved pins looks nice after sanding on a flat surface. The carved pins make that impossible:

mold-real-4.png

I didn't keep full strings of non-reject shot, but here a few strings of rejects:
mold-reject-shot.png

Close up of shot I accepted. These aren't perfect at all. The mold depth was a little shallow so they are somewhat flattened (I need a smaller diameter ball mill -- I think the machine won't go to the full depth because the smallest diameter ball mill I have is 1.5 mm -- I should get 0.5 or 0.25 mm and see what happens). The two mold halves also don't center absolutely perfectly and of course there is roughness where I cut the sprues. I tried tumbling and vibrating but I don't have an effective method yet. Also, I was aiming for #1 Buck and also trying to account for shrinkage -- I was a bit off. I've been loading shotshells with 12 #1 Buck pellets -- that would be too heavy with my home-made shot, so I went with 11 pellets (about 440 grains)

mold-shot-accepted.png

Despite the shortcomings of the finished shot, I decided to see how they did. My first test with the cylinder choke was about 1200 FPS and the IM just a little faster, but I was so excited I forgot to record the actual readings. Anyway, the result:

15 yards
Yellow marked holes with Cylinder choke -- about a 15" group.
Green marked holes with IM choke - a little less than 8" group.
mold-results-measure.png

So in the end, my imperfect shot did OK and I'm going to take a crack at a second version.

Last Edited:
Very cool. Ive always wanted to make my own molds or modify existing ones.

After I couldn't get the handles off one of my lee molds, I found that Lee makes blank mold sets:

I haven't checked availability of 20 ga. anything lately but it doesn't surprise me that buckshot loads in that gauge are hard to find these days. Like most anything else these days.

I load my own 28 gauge buckshot loads individually. Factory buckshot loads aren't common. I've only seen some made in Europe for sale within the past several years. I use No. 4 buckshot in 28 gauge. It's gotten to be pretty expensive.

When you get right down to it, for defensive loads you can use just about any small metallic objects for projectiles. So long as the material used isn't heavier than a lead load. Lighter payload won't get you in trouble insofar as shooter safety is concerned. Make sure you you've got sufficient pressure on the wad to avoid bloopers.

I've loaded some 28 gauge test rounds with Vietnam era artillery flechettes. You can't get all that many of them into a hull but once out the tube, they fly straight and true into the target. I also load .54 round lead balls, it's about the equivalent of a BP musket. Then there is the chamber adapter, 28 ga. to 9mm Parabellum. All of the above makes a stupid single shot 28 gauge into a more versatile firearm.

Nice project and initial results.

Equipment questions:
What motion controller board do you have?
What controller software?
What design software?
Are you happy with these components?

I have a couple cnc desktop mills, one old factory built that I've replaced all the electronics and have working fairly well. As long as the computer doesn't hiccup. The other is a Taig manual mill that I've converted to cnc. I'm running Mach3 on Windows using fairly cheep chinese motion control boards. Thinking about moving to better (pricer) boards that have documentation written in English by native speakers. Any opinions / advice would be appreciated.

Nice project and initial results.

Equipment questions:
What motion controller board do you have?
What controller software?
What design software?
Are you happy with these components?

I have a couple cnc desktop mills, one old factory built that I've replaced all the electronics and have working fairly well. As long as the computer doesn't hiccup. The other is a Taig manual mill that I've converted to cnc. I'm running Mach3 on Windows using fairly cheep chinese motion control boards. Thinking about moving to better (pricer) boards that have documentation written in English by native speakers. Any opinions / advice would be appreciated.

I bought my CNC router rather than build. I once built a pen plotter from scratch as part of a project that ended with etching circuit boards but that was just done with an arduino -- there's a lot of CAD time in a DIY machine and I wanted to get cutting right away. :) I definitely respect the effort that goes into building/converting your own.

Anyway, I have a Shapeoko 2 and I've done some fun stuff with it. My machine, even the Z drive, is belt driven and so it's pretty slow on aluminum -- 0.1 mm layers at 100mm/minute so all told I probably have between 30 and 40 hours of cutting time on that thing (due mostly to 3.5 mm pins I should never had tried to cut out -- that's 35 layers of aluminum where 99% of each layer turned to dust). The newer model ( Shapeoko CNC Router ) has a ball screw Z axis and I must say, I'm tempted except for (*) see below.

For CAD I use FreeCAD to do 3D design: FreeCAD: Your own 3D parametric modeler
I use QCAD for 2D design: QCAD - QCAD: 2D CAD
CamBam for 2.5D CAM: CamBam CNC Software
MeshCam for 3D CAM: MeshCAM - CNC Software - CAD/CAM Software

(*) My deeper temptation -- I would love to be able to cut steel. :

EDIT: edit to add -- clearly you are out ahead of me -- I'll be asking YOU what motion controller board is best if I ever do the actual mill project.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads