JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been reloading on my 650 for over a year ow and used Tacoma ball and flake powders so far. I got a recommendation for H4895 for my 308 and 223 but I am concerned about the consistency of the drop in the powder dispenser with a stick powder. Before I buy the H4895 I wanted to pick your brains for any experiences you have had with it. A I right to be concerned or are there tricks to get it to load correctly consistently?

There is only ONE powder measure I know of that will consistantly and accurately measure stick powders.
All the others either cut them or allow the granules to "bridge" at the cartridge case neck when dumping and do an erratic job.
Go to: Quick Measure - The Accurate Powder Measure (I've met the inventer, and he is one sharp guy/engineer.)
fyi, I am not a newbie; and have a Redding turret, a Dillon 550, a Dillon 1050 and another set up for 50bmg.

motorman98 is right. I finally bought a Quick Measure a couple of weeks ago to load H4350 and Varget on my 650. Went from +/- .7gr to +/- .2gr with 4350 which has been the worst for consistent powder throws for me. Not a cheap solution but if you want to use stick powders, it's the only thing I have found that works.

Ron

Stick powders have always given me the "shake head side to side." It's in their nature to go "ka-chunk" when you operate the powder lever (cutting the sticks). But, some powders might be better than others. Oh well.

Anyway, I LIKE ball powders better for that main reason.

But......as for consistency of the drop........well, that comes with practice.

I wrote this for single station loaders NOT for progressive machines. BUT......it's still all about the STROKE, IMHO. ;)

Some people will set up their primed empties in a shell holder tray.

The powder hopper/measure is set up on a stand. Make sure your bench is NOT wobbley.

Let's assume, that the correct weight is set and the correct dropper mouth has already been screwed into the powder hopper/measure.

So........they'll bring the tray to the hopper/measure station.

Fitting the first case's mount against the mouth of the hopper/measure. The re-loader will then operate the handle. A smooth and consistent stroke is what most operators are looking for. It's one of those "learned things."

BTW.........that is one reason why a ball powder is recommended for new re-loaders.

Once the stroke of the measure's handle has been completed, they'll wait a sec. or two, to ensure that all of the powder has made it's journey from the hopper into the case. They may even tap the side of the hopper/measure lightly (lucky tap) for insurance or out of habit.

Then, assuming that all of the powder has dropped into the case. They'll lower the tray to clear the hopper/measure dispenser mouth and go on to the next case. Following the line of cases (as they're already arranged in the tray in a column like order).

Following the line, makes it easier to remember where the re-loader left off. Hopefully, avoiding a double charge condition.

The re-loader will follow the same procedure to fill one case and move, fill one case and move.

Filling whatever number of cases they feel comfortable with (10, 15, 20, etc.....) before doing a weight check. Hint: It might be easier to just do a weight check when you reach the end of one column of cases.

The weight check requires that the re-loader dump out the powder from one cartridge case, into a scale pan and measure it.

An "acceptable variation" may or may not occur. "Acceptable" in that........each individual has their own, risk and comfort level.

IF the weight check did not meet with the expectations of the re-loader. He'll empty the powder from all of the cases that were charged, back to his last weight check.

IF the weight check has passed muster.........the re-loader will empty the scale pan w/ powder, back into the empty cartridge case.

He'll continue with the process of charging cases and weight checks until the re-loader is satisfied for the session.

BTW.......for me......I've gone to using a single station press for all of my rifle cartridge (bottle neck cases) reloading. I only use a progressive machine on straight walled pistol cartridges. That's how I roll.

Aloha, Mark

I loaded a bunch of H4895 in some .308 rounds using my 650 about a year ago. Wasn't all that bad. Weight checks were usually within .2gr or less variation yet performance "on paper" wasn't that bad at ranges under 300 yards. .2 gr is less than 1/2 of one percent variation in powder weight in that powder/cartridge combo. If that "percentage" transferred directly to velocity variation that would mean about 12 fps variation. In reality, the variance in speed, if no other factors override (neck tension, case volume, etc), would be less.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top