JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just bought one of the old police trade ins, a S&W #60 like a #10 but stainless. It came with the hammer bobbed so I called S&W and ordered a new hammer.
My question is how difficult is it to take out the old one and relpace it with the new one? I've exchanged springs for Wolffs but not a hammer. Does it require fitting? I'd like to save $50 and do it myself.

First, is it a model 60 or 64? The stainless version of the model 10 is the 64. The model 60 is the stainless version of the model 36.
All the internal partsof a S&W are hand fit. The hammer has several surfaces that need to be fit. It's possible it could drop in, but highly unlikely. It really is a job for a pro to do. I understand the desire to save money, and with swapping springs its okay. But have the new hammer installed by a competent gunsmith. Just my .02$...

Bear I really appreciate your frankness. The gun is a #64 I get them mixed up and I also have a #67 which is the same w/adjustable sights.
I ordered the complete assembly( I guess that means with stirrup) I guess I'll take it to Kevin at Ole's, he's done good work for me before.
I almost ordered the .500 Target hammer, but got the .375 which is still oversized instead.

I prefer the .375 to the .500 width. I've spent enough time in the standard catalog of S&W's, that i swear i must utter models numbers in my sleep.

Most of the time I'm all for people saving money to do the work themselves, but i've replaced hammers before, and it can be a pain. Hope you enjoy the gun, and let me know if you want to sell the dao hammer when you make the switch...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top