JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should I go gasoline or diesel?

• Gasoline.

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Diesel.

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Either way. It doesn't really matter in this day and age.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • (gasp!) Ride a bike or drive a Prius! (Everyone lives in Portlandia, right?)

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
So, it has not been front and center, due to the craziness and busyness, but recent events and a thread here has got me to thinking about the truck replacement project. I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with something V8 F150, albeit with seats in the back as we have potato-heads. In reading this and that, I came across point and counterpoint on going with a diesel or gasoline engine. I've always run the latter, but am open to the former. And the eldest brother in our tribe drives a diesel and likes said.

As to the question of what I use the truck for, the answer is pretty much "everything".

• Daily commute.
  • Working on our land, which is hilly.
  • Once relocated, a ton of work to get us setup at the new land. (I can already feel the sore muscles, but it will be for the betterment.)
  • Hauling lots of things (e.g., firewood, building materials, weekly garbage dump, et al.)
  • Towing. While not often, summers we hitch some tools to the back to haul it around.
  • Traveling all over the hinterland.
What say you?

I had never needed a diesel as the initial cost and added maintenance cost was a real turn off... Untill I drove a newer one. The power and mileage (20+ @75-80mph) has been amazing on my 2016 3500HD long bed 4 door. Not a Ford fan but the newer diesel 6.7 seems ok but wouldn't touch a F150 turbo. As work trucks we several (15+) F150 turbos and very few have made it 150k without major problems. If I was looking for a half ton diesel I would look at a Dodge.

If you are going to be doing a lot of heaving hauling or towing, then some diesels can pay for themselves, otherwise a gas powered engine probably makes more sense economically.

Otherwise, if you don't care about economic efficiency, then some people prefer the power/performance of a diesel powered truck. I like my '97 Dodge with a Cummins, but it isn't for everybody and I mostly only use it on my property.

Unless you're towing heavy loads, gas all the way. The new gas motors produce good power and will handle all that you've stated. Heck, I just recently went with a Toyota Tacoma and it handles everything I need in a truck.

Most anything works for me.. as long as I remove the passenger seat for muh kettleballs and it has a sunroof for muh ten gallon hat.

lol

If you have short daily commutes then don't get a modern diesel as you're just asking for $$$ due to the DPF & DEF.

If you drive a lot of highway miles, haul a lot - and I mean a LOT - and tow heavy loads, as well as drive a lot of miles/year (over 15k) then a diesel would be my choice.

How reliable are the newer Dodge pickup trucks? I know a former colleague that bought a newer Dodge diesel pickup and he had have it fixed a few times at the dealer.

For anything smaller than a 3/4 ton that gets used like a 1 ton, diesel doesn't make sense.

It depends on the owner and usage.

I intend to put a diesel in my '92 Toyota pickup. But I am a diesel mech, and I prefer diesels, plus in this application the 3L diesel I want to put in makes more power than the 2L gas engine. I wouldn't suggest it for everybody but for what I want to do it makes sense.

Daily driver, gas all the way. Pulling heavy loads all the time, diesel.

Apples to orange, but, I work in the heavy truck world....after treatments are probably the #2 or #1 repair work we do....they have had DEF systems for 15 years and you still see problems, its still a new thing on small trucks.

Unless you are looking at older pre emission trucks, go gas.

I have driven Dodge diesel 2500's for a long time. It's nice to have a stout truck that will pull anything.

Problem is, I have downsized my travel trailer, and my pickup is now used mostly as a commuter. I am reconsidering this diesel thing, and my next pickup will likely have a gas engine.

Daily driver, gas all the way. Pulling heavy loads all the time, diesel.

Apples to orange, but, I work in the heavy truck world....after treatments are probably the #2 or #1 repair work we do....they have had DEF systems for 15 years and you still see problems, its still a new thing on small trucks.

Unless you are looking at older pre emission trucks, go gas.
I woke up and had to get a mechanic to come out and do a forced regen on my truck. DEF is fun... Unless I go hotshot and buy my own truck, gasoline for me.

Last Edited:
Don't get a diesel unless you need a diesel!

Diesels produce the torque required for extra heavy loads for long distances economically. (When diesel fuel is less than gas!)

The initial cost and extra cost of maintenance may never be recouped. You have to do the math.

Research "Edmonds" for comparing reliability and maintenance issues.

Smiles,

I woke up and had to get a mechanic to come out and do a forced regen on my truck. DEF is fun... Unless I go hotshot and but my own truck, gasoline for me.

We still get drivers that dont understand the need for a regen.....once they get the $10k bill for an aftertreatment replacement they tend to take ot seriously.

I drove a diesel '07 Sprinter van for over 9 years at 14-16 MPG, and one thing I noticed when driving around out in the boonies and you're running on empty.... not every gas station has diesel, but they DO have unleaded. o_O

I now drive a '18 Ford Transit on a truck body with a service box that runs on unleaded at 11.6 MPG, but by golly-gee... there's gas stations (with unleaded) on just about every corner! :D

Found a good deal on a 1970 dodge d200, slant six 8 foot bed. Built before trucks got all gayified, when a guy who worked with his hands could still afford one. A basic vehicle, simple to fix cheap to run. What the heck do I need a diesel engine for?

DIesel if your really gonna use it, and Gas for every thing else! The millage gains of diesel outweigh the cost of fuel and it becomes a wash! That said, I prefer diesel for the reliability, pullin power, and economy. the other plus is my Diesel will last far longer then any gas rig, so the trick is getting that ONE perfect rig and running it for ever!
I got extremely lucky with my 93 First Gen Dodge Cummins, it was cheaper to rebuild every thing else and I now have a brand new Dodge truck for less then 1/4 what a new truck would cost! FUel millage varies between 19 and 22 Miles per gallon, but i'm geared for pulling and HEAVY, so I accept it as it is!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top