JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for any advice from some marines on here. I'm going to boot camp at the end of September and looking for pointers on how to survive from those that have been there, done that. Already started with my running, push ups, pull ups, sit ups etc.... So if you had to go back to boot what would you have done different to be more prepared? What worked well for you and what didn't work for you? Just looking for anything as I'm soaking up all information I can for the next 6 months or so that I have. Thanks in advance!

Looking for any advice from some marines on here. I'm going to boot camp at the end of September and looking for pointers on how to survive from those that have been there, done that. Already started with my running, push ups, pull ups, sit ups etc.... So if you had to go back to boot what would you have done different to be more prepared? What worked well for you and what didn't work for you? Just looking for anything as I'm soaking up all information I can for the next 6 months or so that I have. Thanks in advance!

Good choice. Nothing we can tell you will prepare you for it. Its gonna be a major shock to you now matter what. If youre in good shape that will help alot. Also whenever the DIs says to do something you do it fast. Do what they say, how they say to do it, it has a purpose. You might not think so at the time but it has a purpose

and you well do veryt well to be LOUD and CLEAR.
You boom out YES SIR. if you don't understand ASK. do not be afraid to ask loud and clear.

One last thing lets us know when you graduate from boot. It would be my honor to call you Marine.

Listen and respond quick/sharp. Most USMC recruits are in good shape some lack the attention to detail. Going into boot in condition will help you if you want to keep your DI off your *** it's all about the details. A strong body is a great tool. A strong body with a sharp mind is a Marine that isn't doing extra PT.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Most of the advice we can give you will just be pointers. The only way to prepare yourself for a huge change in your life, both mentally and physically, is to realize that it is just that , a huge change. Dont go into it with hard head or an attitude as this will just cause you problems. Your going to get yelled at ,your going to get pushed to do better and you will live threw it, maybe :).

When the man with the brim hat and all the stripes on his sleeve comes in to where you are sleeping in the morning, ask him to serve you breakfast in bed.

This is not legal advise. It's a humble request. You raise your right hand and swear an oath (a witnessed promise) to uphold and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. That is job number one, whether you are army, navy, air force or MARINES. Otherwise an oath is merely a foolish exercise in meaningless formality that dishonors the sacrifices made by all those who came before.

In the event you are placed in the unenviable position of being given what you know to be an unconstitutional order, please be willing to speak up, dig in your heals and refuse it as being against your oath, especially when you rise in rank to become a leader who must make decisions on behalf of your fellow marines.

As a member of the U.S. military, you are becoming an agent/extension of the U.S. government and as such, for the duration of your enlistment, you stop being a State Citizen who is entitled to the Constitutional rights military people fight and die for. Therefore, you are subject to military courts under the Uniform Code of Military Justice and they don't provide the due process protections that Citizens are entitled to.

If you refuse to obey an unconstitutional order and it gets you in hot water, be prepared to invoke your oath to defend the Constitution if you need to defend your actions in court. Studying the Constitution and case law about this predicament on your own will help prepare you for this problem if you ever encounter it.

You will be a team member but don't surrender your independence of thought to such a degree that it makes you vulnerable to forgetting the very reason you raised your right hand.

Lastly...sincerely...thank you for your decision to serve.

I went to MCRD San Diego Dec 1977. I imagine some things have changed. If your active and good shape, the physircal part isn't to bad. I grew up on a farm(outside Amity), up early, bucked 100 pound plus hay bales, and always hunted the coast range. So humping Mt. Mother &&& wasn't that big of a deal.
They will try all kind of mental games, and they'll pick on the weak or stubborn. Listen closely to the DI, follow the rules, study, and keep your brass polished, you'll do fine..

And the biggest rule.
Lots of Seagulls flying around MCRD,
NEVER and I repeat NEVER laugh when one Sh_i_ts on you DI's cover..

feel free to PM me
Semper Fi
Gordon
1341 Engineer Equip. Mech.

:s0155:That bit that was posted above about not having Constitutional rights is incorrect, although your rights do get scaled back when compared with civvies....common misconception though.

Best advice I ever got prior to enslisting is this: "shut up & get in line". Follow that & you'll do well.

Congrats on the great decision; Military service is the noblest achievement you can obtain. Welcome to the relatively small community- comparitively speaking- of people who have made a contribution to their country.

Hooah!

one other thing- don't dis-enroll from the G.I. Bill- whether you plan of furthering your education later or not, stay enrolled for the program. You'll thank yourself later!

Remember when they ask for volunteers, never hold up your hand!

Take some handkerchiefs to boot camp with you. I remember all the tears at night when trainees missed home and their families. That part was sad, but a new beginning for most.

Get in top shape and follow orders quickly and to the best of your ability. You will do fine.

Good luck!

:s0155:That bit that was posted above about not having Constitutional rights is incorrect, although your rights do get scaled back when compared with civvies....common misconception though.

I mentioned to sbryson21 that:
"you stop being a State Citizen who is entitled to the Constitutional rights military people fight and die for [i.e. the rights Citizens enjoy]. Therefore, you are subject to military courts under the Uniform Code of Military Justice and they don't provide the due process protections that Citizens are entitled to".

Thanks for your response. I can see now how I may have muddied my point by the way I wrote it. I was saying the same thing you did, as far as the fact that his rights would be "scaled back". Didn't mean to suggest that he would have no rights. Just meant to say that as a military member, your status changes in a way that Congress has total discretion to decide how many and which rights you get, what the extent of those rights are and that Congress has the Constitutional authority to retract those rights when and as it sees fit, until your enlistment period ends.

Also intended him to keep front and center in his mind that it is lawful orders that he is required to obey, not orders which common sense or constitutional familiarity forbids you to follow, because his oath is to the Constitution, not wayward order givers.

Below is the oath he will swear or affirm:
I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

Don't worry about the physical things. Anyone in reasonable shape will get in shape in boot. The hardest thing for most people to deal with is the mental stress. As long as you know that they are trying to break you mentally just to build you back up as a weapon you should be fine.

Run, run, run. You can't run enough! The conditioning is both mental and physical. Remember, this is a game to gain total compliance from you. It will grind you down, sharpen you, hone you into an order following, green machine. Pay attention to all your training. You never know when you may need those lessons to be put into action. Don't volunteer for anything!! Do what is asked of you to your utmost, and be part of the platoon, not an individual. Don't take physical risks that can injure you. It will cause training setbacks and you'll be pissed at yourself. Attend all the pool fuctions prior to shipping out. The recuiters will help you prep yourself and help you learn what is necessary to be sucessful.

ONE MIND, ANY WEAPON!!

Greydog, out.

Thanks for all the great info! Hearing your guys' advice is getting me even more pumped up and ready to do this. Going in to MEPS a week from this Monday, so the ball is rolling right along... Thanks again, Marines!

Attitude is everything. Maintain a good one. And I disagree with the volunteering, I found that in the Marines one benefits from volunteering, especially if you stay back and be the firewatch while the others eat. When you get to go, your meals can be a little less stressful. I suggest that you think about becoming the secretary, they do the scheduling of firewatches and often get bumped up a grade at graduation. I found the days went faster when I lived from meal to meal then bedtime. If you break the day up in your mind, it will be faster.

I would sign up for the Marines all over again if I could go back in time. It was one of the best decisions I made in my life.

Just keep in mind that you might die!

You need to factor in the death thing. Once you get over that, ship out!

Boot Camp is a mind game. Once you figure that out, the easier it is.

The DIs dont actualy hate you, it is a well orchestrated Father/middle of the road guy/mother relationship.

You will never be fast/loud/strong enough.

Bruce.

Just an update on my status... Went to MEPS yesterday and completed all the testing and physical and then swore in. I'm officially now DEP'ed in and ship out Oct. 11. Thanks for all the information and positive words, it means a lot. Looking foward to coming out the other side a Marine! :s0160:

I am in the same boat as you right now. Shipping Sept 7th myself. My recruiter and his boss at the RSS both mostly suggested being in good shape (but you will be pushed no matter what) and know the knowledge in your Welcome to the Marines booklet. Do you know your field yet? Keep motivated.

I am in the same boat as you right now. Shipping Sept 7th myself. My recruiter and his boss at the RSS both mostly suggested being in good shape (but you will be pushed no matter what) and know the knowledge in your Welcome to the Marines booklet. Do you know your field yet? Keep motivated.

Cool man, we're entering he-ll right at about the same time :s0155:. Yeah, those little booklets are going to be really handy to have. Basically my recruiter said the number 1 thing to know, knowledge wise, before shipping, is general orders followed by rank structure. Got my job locked in, I'm doing small arms repair technician. How about you, got your job lined up?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top