JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Desperate times: Marines told to ?save every round? ? CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

United States Marines are being told to preserve ammunition and gasoline as a deal softening the impact of automatic spending cuts continues to elude leaders in Washington.

Marine Corps Commandant James Amos urged personnel in a video posted online Friday to "save every round, every gallon of gas," and to "take every single aspect or opportunity in training to get the most bang for the buck," a reminder of the cuts' immediate effect on the U.S. military.

Welcome to the civilian world.

Except most civilians don't have people shooting at them on a daily basis. I love how non-vets think the military is such an easy job and you are just awash with free benefits that you don't at all earn.

True that! One of my buddies who just got back from Afghanistan mentioned that they also did away with hot breakfasts for the troops to cut costs. Hard to believe when we have spent more money than all previous administrations combined that we can't afford ammunition and hot meals for the troops. Don't even get me started on not being able to refuel an aircraft carrier that was build and funded during an economy almost as bad as the current one.

True that! One of my buddies who just got back from Afghanistan mentioned that they also did away with hot breakfasts for the troops to cut costs. Hard to believe when we have spent more money than all previous administrations combined that we can't afford ammunition and hot meals for the troops. Don't even get me started on not being able to refuel an aircraft carrier that was build and funded during an economy almost as bad as the current one.

It's more important that the contractors and afghan civilians that work on the fob get hot meals.

For the most part, the US Military has a poor track record inefficiently wasting billion$ and billion$ on programs, weapon systems, etc etc that were unneeded or absurd. IMO, the general is whining about basic items so the common serfs the tax-paying American sheeple will become sympathetic to continue supporting the budget he wants. BTW, I served in military intelligence for three years.

Except most civilians don't have people shooting at them on a daily basis.

Let me first say that I appreciate what you do. However, you volunteered for the job so don't complain about it. Second, you can blame those in office for you guys getting bubblegumty benefits and poor living conditions, not the civilian population. As for the "free benefits" we didn't at all earn, well I work for a living and pay taxes. Those taxes provide the food and shelter you receive in the military. You're welcome for my financial contribution.

I was in for nine years. The troops always get treated like crap, especially moreso when Washington wants to squeeze more money out of sympathetic citizens.

The military as a whole wastes alot of money and I have no desire to increase my 'contribution' or have it suggested that I am selfish or unpatriotic when I just took a real 20% paycut at work...especially when the 'cuts' we're talking about here are mere decreases in the rate of increase. Its about time they consider how they are using our money.

Keith

Let me first say that I appreciate what you do. However, you volunteered for the job so don't complain about it. Second, you can blame those in office for you guys getting bubblegumty benefits and poor living conditions, not the civilian population. As for the "free benefits" we didn't at all earn, well I work for a living and pay taxes. Those taxes provide the food and shelter you receive in the military. You're welcome for my financial contribution.

I wasn't complaining at all. YOU don't have people shooting at your because I decided I would be willing to be shot at.

I vote just like you do.

I also pay taxes btw.

Just curious about where you get the information that all the Contractors in Afghanistan have a plus FOB - or do even know what a "FOB" is?

Got a little worked up having a Son over there. The word should have been "plush". I think you get the idea. They aren't all living in the wonderful conditions you apparently believe they are.

First hand experience. The contractors had buildings, we had tents. Where hard buildings were available, they were given to contractors first, then to the soldiers. Soldiers were freezing or cooking and the contractors had good temperature control.

That being said, no, it's not a very nice place to be. None of the places I went were very nice. And I guess that when you look at a soldier living in a tent and a contractor with a roof, things get to looking a little plush. Never mind that 6 figure pay they bring down.

I've been there too, Likely more than your son as I was MCRD class of 94, and then off to the Army in 97, with a retirement last year.

In a bubblegumty place where our guys live in tents, the contractors have it pretty good. It's tough not to go back and make some of that good contractor money, but I have morals.

First hand experience.
I've been there too, Likely more than your son as I was MCRD class of 94, and then off to the Army in 97, with a retirement last year.

Actually he was a Ranger for 3 1/2 years before becoming disgusted with McCrystal's leadership style. The last 3 1/2 years it's been as a Contractor. I understand - the little he'll talk about it - that even as a Ranger they had pretty good locations to live, but on a 90 day rotation they were doing 90 plus missions. I send snacks and stuff to units througha church group (and I'm not exactly what you call religious) and I have mailed stuff to Seal Teams and Marines who are literally living, as you said, in the dirt. Thank you for your service. No offense meant.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top